A Walk Down Nostalgia Street: SCOOBY DOO ,WHERE ARE YOU!--What A Night For a Knight

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
MacynSnow

A Walk Down Nostalgia Street: SCOOBY DOO ,WHERE ARE YOU!--What A Night For a Knight

Post by MacynSnow »

PALLADIUM STUDIOS(Logo appears, which is just a large mettalic looking P and lowercase S)
Hello, fellow Movie buff! I figured since i started up a "Movie Studio", i'd start dropping in my opinions of the Movie/TV stuff i watched growing up in the 80's and 90's. Here's to the first in a hopefully long series....
BRIEF NOTE: all of these(save for one modern one) are show's and movies from 1983 to 2001, so i'm giving out one big 'ol SPOILER WARNING for the whole lot. You don't wanna find out what happens in a Movie/Television show from "The Regan/Bush elder" years, don't read it. You have been warned....
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NoOneofConsequence

Re: A Walk Down Nostalgia Street: Macyn's Movie/Television Reviews

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

I have long believed that 1984 may have been one of the biggest years for Hollywood in terms of creativity and cultural touchstones.
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:25 pm I have long believed that 1984 may have been one of the biggest years for Hollywood in terms of creativity and cultural touchstones.
You'd honestly be Suprised at how many Good movies were made around the 80's & 90's. True, some of them haven't held up very well, but they were all good movies regardless ....
NoOneofConsequence

Post by NoOneofConsequence »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:39 pm You'd honestly be Suprised at how many Good movies were made around the 80's & 90's. True, some of them haven't held up very well, but they were all good movies regardless ....
I saw the bulk of them in theaters, on VHS rental, or on cable back when it was less than 40 channels. :)
Seriously, you could spend a year just talking about films from '84. Just doing '82 to '87 would be a major undertaking. Going from, say, '79 to '93, you could run a YouTube channel for years just looking at one a week. Sadly, I don't think I could name a dozen good films from 2019 without looking them up. :|
What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

NoOneofConsequence wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:33 am
MacynSnow wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:39 pm You'd honestly be Suprised at how many Good movies were made around the 80's & 90's. True, some of them haven't held up very well, but they were all good movies regardless ....
I saw the bulk of them in theaters, on VHS rental, or on cable back when it was less than 40 channels. :)
Seriously, you could spend a year just talking about films from '84. Just doing '82 to '87 would be a major undertaking. Going from, say, '79 to '93, you could run a YouTube channel for years just looking at one a week. Sadly, I don't think I could name a dozen good films from 2019 without looking them up. :|
I honestly think 2019's movie scene got too "Political" and it bleed over to their Movies. The only good one of the lot was La-La Land, but i'm not certain if that was in 2019 at all.... :?:
MacynSnow

Re: A Walk Down Nostalgia Street: SCOOBY DOO ,WHERE ARE YOU!

Post by MacynSnow »

SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU!
< The Audience stand's outside of a Malt Shop from the 50's. Suddenly we hear a Van honking as the Original Mystery Machine pull's up to Reveal Macyn in a Long-sleeved Collard shirt and Ascot>
As a child of the 80's & 90's, Scooby Doo was part of society's subconscious want of a simpler time.Created in 1969 by Joe Ruby & Ken Spears for Hanna-Barbara Productions to replace all the "Action 'Toons" that got cancelled by parent-run group ACT(Action for Childrens Television). Funnily enough, this was supposedly a rip-off of then popular kid's show Archie (which it's telling that THIS is well known & the Archie cartoon is just a footnote).The show itself has been on the air(in one form or another) for 52 years, without even changing most of the original's formula. I'm not going to go into the WHOLE history here(I'm not Jab, fer crying out loud!), i'm just gonna go over the Episodes and Characters therein. Allow my to re-introduce you...

CAST OF MAIN CHARACTERS:
Fredrick(Fredward) "Freddy" Jones---Titular leader of the gang and primary builder of the Rube Goldberg contraptions. Though normally a nice guy, he can occasionally be bossy and tend's to "Pair off" with Daphne when hunting for Clues(Make of that what you will Internet...).
"Danger-prone" Daphne Blake---Before she became her own action star, Daphne was the Enthusiastic, Beautiful(Something me, Jab & BG agree on) but Clumsy & danger prone member of the teen troup. Her dad originally bank-rolled the Gang in the first series(which is why 1/3rd of the first series involved them helping her family out). She's not stupid by any mean's, she just tend's to get in over her head most of the time....
Velma Dinkley---The Smartest person in the room, Velma is the brain's behind this entire crew of Mystery Solvers.Her Deductive reasoning is easily on par with Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and even freaking Batman. She usually has the case figured out halfway through the episode, but needs more evidence to confirm.
Norville "Shaggy" Rogers---The Man, the Myth & The legend himself, Shaggy is the group coward that get's pulled into all this crazy stuff. An ACTUAL Triathlete(Track & Gymnastics), he's always picked to play bait 'cause the gang know's he's agile enough to avoid the trigger.
Scooby Doo---Title character and reason the show's so well remembered. A Cowardly Great Dane that was adopted as a puppy by Shaggy, somewhere along the line he learned to talk with a heavy "R" accent(fun fact: there's more fan theories on how Scooby can talk than there are Bigfoot sightings in the US).

Next time, i'll start on the Iconic first episode "What a Night for a Knight". Untill then, Stay Meddlin'....:D
MacynSnow

Re: A Walk Down Nostalgia Street: SCOOBY DOO ,WHERE ARE YOU!--What A Night For a Knight

Post by MacynSnow »

SEASON ONE-EPISODE ONE: WHAT A NIGHT FOR A KNIGHT!
property Hanna-Barbara
Cue that Music!
Welcome back Meddler's to my Scooby Doo Series One Review/Retrospective! Up first is the one that started it all "What a Night for a Knight".
<takes a swig of his Milkshake>
in order to prevent anyone from Crying "Spoilers!" for a 52 year old Cartoon, i'll do my review's this way...
Air Date:September 13th, 1969
Location Of Mystery: Coolsville Museum
Premise: When Shaggy & Scooby find an abandoned pick-up with a Knight armor sitting in Driver's seat, they take it to the museum after reporting the Professor(a guy named Jameson Hyde-White) missing. The Curator, Mr.Wickles(or Wikles) thank's them, but is worried 'bout the Knight's curse(this particular Armor is supposed to come to life on the Full Moon). While investigating the Knight, the gang realize it's a Full Moon and the Knight's come Alive!

Questions i have(Non-Spoiler): The movie Shaggy & Scooby see before episode start is called "Star: Dog Ranger of The North Woods"(of which Scooby see's twice): How in the name of Mysteries did Shaggy get Scob into the Theater?! He's a friggin' GREAT DANE, one of the biggest Dog breeds known.Either Shaggy has some major pull with the ticket guy or he opened the back door for him....Coolsville apparently is a big enough town to have a Museum, a Zoo, a Theme Park and a Lighthouse but can only afford to hire a skeleton crew for each. Either it's a case of government Embezzlement(and why didn't the kid's figure it out) or Daphne's family keeps Coolsville in cash.

Rube Goldberg Trap: None actually. This is one of only a handful that doesn't use one, relying on Scooby Shenanigan's to capture the monster.

Episode Grade:i'll give it a C+. They were still getting their feet under 'em involving the style of the show, so a lot of our favorite sight gag's aren't here yet, but it was an OK first episode.

Next time, we're going Deep diving and see the inventive genius that is Velma Dinkley in... A Clue For Scooby Doo
Untill next time, stay Meddling....