Sailor Moon- Series Overview

The place to talk about your favorite movies, tv series, cartoons, music and theater.
Jabroniville

Re: Sailor Moon- Series Overview

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #188: So things come to a head- Sailor Aluminum Siren is given one last chance, but she knows Sailor Moon's secret identity, and is prepared to do something about it! So the Three Lights are having some fan club showing event on a charter airplane, and Usagi gets invited by Siren... AS SAILOR MOON! This lets the cat out of the bag, and Usagi (who was previously just pouting about missing the event, since she wasn't a Lights fangirl) desperately runs to warn them.

Things escalate rapidly, as Usagi hits the flight and talks with the Lights, but the plane already takes off, and Siren puts the entire plane to sleep... minus the Sailors, who are apparently immune to the worst of sleep gas (is that a power I missed?). Then a trio of multicolored flight attendants with airplane wings for arms lash the Lights to their chairs and Siren demands "Sailor Moon" give up her True Star Seed- the Lights are floored, but when Siren attacks, Seiya gives up the facade and transforms into Sailor Star Fighter! The other two soon follow (as the other Sailors brawl with the attendants), and now the OTHER Sailors all transform, leaving everyone all "So you're---" even while Siren freaks the hell out at suddenly having EIGHT PEOPLE now fighting her. Getting eight Transformation Sequences in a row makes me think this episode was either running short, or they just didn't wanna draw all the designs on Siren's costume this often.

The Lights' attacks knock the attendants around and Sailor Moon transforms them back to people, and Siren tears up... then attacks with "Galactica... TSUNAMI!!!", which is... her throwing a bunch of airplane food at them. And yet the Sailors counter it with THEIR BIGGEST ATTACKS. In giant freeze-frame paintings. This episode is so weird. Siren just leaves in a huff, her plan ruined, and the Sailors now have to deal with this pile of revelations. But not before Siren has to pay the piper... Galaxia is greatly annoyed by the lack of Star Seed that she was promised, which Siren blows off with a "Why should I apologize? I haven't done anything wrong" while Sailor Lead Crow BEGS her to apologize to their master. Sailor Tin Nyanko, our next "general", taunts her and accuses her of making the whole thing up.

And so with an "I've heard enough", Galaxia removes Siren's bracelets, dooming her- Lead Crow BEGS for mercy and another chance for her friend/rival, while Siren wails in horror and pleas to deaf ears- she vaporizes in Lead Crow's arms, the latest victim of their master. The acting was REALLY good here, especially Siren's "I don't want to DIE like this!" (though that's exactly the dub dialogue added to Mimete's death two seasons ago). Meanwhile, the plane touches down back in Tokyo, with the Sailors and Starlights merely giving each other pensive, intense stares as they wordlessly part in the crowd.

Crazy-weird episode, being equal parts bizarre comedy (Siren's whole attack is just a gong-show and a comedy of errors that makes her look silly), and then a villain dies like THAT?

(Monster Powers: Seatbelts from wings- Snare; throw life vest, oxygen mask or cart)

(First Appearance: Sailor Tin Nyanko, Galactica Tsunami)
Davies

Post by Davies »

The Galactica Tsunami is something of an injoke; it's apparently a much more serious attack in the manga, where (as usual) the villains are one-offs without sympathetic qualities. So portraying it as her last resort is pretty much admitting that she's done.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #189: So now the cat's out of the bag and everyone knows each other's secret identities, leading to Usagi being pensive and worried- Mina's like "LOL well I guess my love interest is a girl; so my for my romantic life!" (which, funnily enough, is an aspect I always forget about until it's mentioned) until the others notice how Usagi's uncomfortable with it. Seiya gets the same way at the Lights' hideout, and when Taiki & Yaten are like "Hey, we can use the Sailors' war with Galaxia to our advantage, because it distracts Galaxia from us", Seiya's all "SHUT UP!". He points out how those girls put their lives on the line for their galaxy, and "how DARE you take advantage of them! You should be ashamed of yourselves!", but Yaten quickly recovers with "Oh, I see. This is about that girl". Seiya's about to throw down, but Taiki cuts to the chase and points out that it's because Usagi reminds Seiya of "our Princess" and stops the fight by acting a little bit sympathetic and understanding. "You know there can be only one Princess for us, right?"

Meanwhile, Sailor Tin Nyanko acts really snotty about how bad Aluminum Siren was, leading Lead Crow to first suck it up, but eventually just get angry before trying to regain her composure. The thread now is Nyanko is easily annoyed and frustrated, and disregards the help of others.

Oh hey, this one is Rei-themed! She ends up acting as a fortune teller in a department store (moaning about her her Grandpa shoved her into this spot without asking her), and of course her first client is Seiya, who confesses about "keeping secrets" from a girl until it was too late and she found out anyways. She gives some pretty basic advice about just apologizing to her, which he confesses is something he shouldn't have needed help on, and takes his leave with gratitude. And then Usagi immediately plops down after him to ask advice, lol.

So Usagi finally gives us the real skinny ("I already have a boyfriend" and she doesn't LOVE Seiya; just likes him as a friend), but confesses to the same things. Rei then promptly, in a great moment, reads right through Usagi and points out that "You're better at acting than thinking, right? So just GO to him" and says "saying you can't find him is just an excuse- you're afraid of rejection; if you're afraid, you'll lose what's really important". Because OF COURSE Rei knows how Usagi is about these things, and what she's good at. Rei then reveals her identity and tells her to have courage, and dwell on what he thinks AFTERWARDS.

The two finally meet up at a radio show, and USAGI is the one apologizing for some reason, but the DJ is attacked and Sailor Mars nails his spinning CD attack. They easily beat the Phage, but now Lead Crow wants to fight ALL the Sailors! "It's your fault Siren got...", but while she prepares to engage, Nyanko sneaks in from behind ("She really is hopeless- there's no way I'd take them all on from the front")- she prepares a massive energy beam, lashing out at Sailor Moon! But now Seiya dives in with a big "Hero Moment", jumping in the way of the blast and getting hammered! The other two Starlights (already transformed) attack with their weapons, sending the Anima-Mates scurrying away, and freak out at Sailor Moon for touching Seiya. "It's YOUR fault that Seiya got hurt like this!" and all that. Yaten & Taiki finally give them the ultimate brush-off ("Don't come near us any more") and storm off, leaving Usagi crushed.

Pretty important one, driving a divide between the Starlights & Sailors seemingly for good- all the cards on the table. But Seiya's still chasing Usagi around. I'm weirded out by USAGI thinking she has things to apologize for, but the bits with Rei cutting to the chase and giving Usagi the best version of a compliment from her (accepting her faults, but pointing out the things she's best at)

(Monster Powers: Spinning CDs)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #190: FINALLY we get to see Haruka, Michiru & Setsunah again! This time, the Outers are hilariously just as mistrusting of the Starlights as before, even after figuring out who they are. They're all "No, Usagi, you stay away from them" but now Usagi's just COMPLETELY despondent and unable to deal with not being able to see Seiya anymore, because she feels sooooooooooo guitly about him jumping in the way of an attack meant for her. They're all like "our job is to protect the world from threats outside the solar system", which the Starlights are, but Usagi still freaks out at their being so callous and mistrusting. But then Seiya phones Usagi and tells her to "listen to my song" at their next concert- it explains everything.

And explain it, the song does: it beams his words right into Usagi's head, pretty much. We see shots of Sailor Galaxia destroying world after world (taking the Star Seeds, which are the energy of their stars, to give Galaxia total control), including that of the Starlights- their Princess escaped to Earth, soon followed by them, and they've been searching for her ever since. Their song is to locate that Princess- they hope she can hear it and come find them. Seiya gives her this message, but immediately collapses, to the horror of the other Lights. Meanwhile, Sailor Lead Crow attacks our weekly victim, adorably trying to give her Formal Japanese Greeting, as Siren would.

Crow bails immediately after Sailor Amuse comes out, and he attacks Usagi & Seiya- Sailor Moon transforms and tries to protect Seiya as he keeps collapsing, and they're saved from a balloon barrage by Sailor Uranus, Neptune & Pluto! FINALLY they all get in on the attack! Deep Submerge takes out most of the balloons, and his gigantic red one is sliced in twain by the "Space Sword Blaster", damaging him enough for Sailor Moon's transformation attack. The Outer Senshi give the Lights a final kiss-off, reminding them that "We'll guard the planet ourselves", which Taiki responds to with a douchey "You do that- it'll save us the trouble", and Haruka prevents Usagi from chasing after them.

So I guess this is our new status quo- the Sailors being even MORE unfriendly, largely owing to the outside groups clashing with each other... and Usagi still carrying a bit of a guilt-torch for Seiya (whom she certainly doesn't seem ATTRACTED to anymore, but still cares about). Still, she's being uncharacteristically super-morose about all this.

(Monster Powers: Rocket-Propelled Balloons)
Davies

Post by Davies »

... let's just say that she has reasons to be in a very fragile state at the moment.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #191: So mysterious butterflies of light appear, summoning Chibi-Chibi, and the Starlights immediately recognize it as the energy of their Princess. Usagi's mystery depression continues, while the girls go to a Game Convention hoping to confront Taiki, who's there as a guest. This lets the director (who has a really weird art style, I gotta say) showcase a lot of Anime/Game Cosplay, though the only one I recognize is a more G-rated version of DarkStalkers's Felicia. Ami wins a game tournament simply by observing the controls and movements, and the thing is shot in the most dramatic way possible (with the other Sailors treating their loss as if they were actually killed), and this lets her finally confront Taiki. He blows her off, but she goes all "Usagi is the best and most loving person ever, etc" and points out that Seiya only got hurt because he saw the same things. But then of course the villains attack.

"Sailor Gamer" easily crushes Mercury, even blasting through her attack. She tries to fight on so as not to be a burden and need saving, but this Phage actually wipes the floor with all four girls. Star Gentle Uterus (hee) stuns her, and Sailor Moon finally arrives, having been brightened up by Chibi-Chibi's "scent"- which Taiki recognizes as that of their Princess. Taiki is forced to acknowlege that Sailor Moon IS "the radiance that refuses to go out", as Ami put it, since she cheers up Seiya AND saves the day.

Ominous Portents: This is the final appearance of Jupiter Oak Evolution & Mercury Aqua Rhapsody, as well as the last time we'll see the Game Center Crown. Given that those two attacks are the primary ones for Jupiter & Mercury and there's eight episodes left... that doesn't bode well.

(Monster Powers: Flashy video game-named attacks- melee shot takes out Aqua Rhapsody, Special Kill Sonic Beam- Blast opposed by Oak Evolution, Area Attacks, Flight)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #192: Our final Minako-themed episode, as she hits the semi-finals of an Idol Competition... but sighs and rejects it- there's too much going on right now. This being her lifelong dream, it hurts both her & Artemis, and he confesses the secret to the other girls (who are a bit stunned that Minako's all "Let's study hard and not screw around!"). They confront her at school and force her to take the job, saying that it's been her lifelong dream (Usagi naturally makes the best point: "It's all the more reason to go- you have to hold onto your dreams at all times"). When Yaten turns out to be a judge, now HE'S mad because she's doing this even with the seriousness of the situation, but she goes on anyways. Meanwhile, Sailor Lead Crow (remember, the Anima-Mates are TV executives) has been tied up and gagged by Sailor Tin Nyanko, who swaps in as a judge in her place!

Her song is pretty catchy (but her VA's voice is a bit weak), but impresses the judges enough, as does her helping another girl up when they run into each other during the dance portion. But Yaten's all "URG WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS NOW?" during the Q&A portion, so she responds with "When it comes to your dreams, there is no before and after"- the songwriter (and Victim of the Week, obviously) adds "She's got you there, Yaten". Finally, he confesses that "maybe being a Guardian isn't everything" to her, and wonders why their Princess has yet to appear before her. Sailor Musician appears, and is more garish than anything I've ever seen before, and talks like Patrick Warburton. Star Sensitive Inferno and Venus Love & Beauty Shock (the last time we'll see THAT attack) stun him, and we're out. Minako turns out to have WON the finals... but in a very "Sailor Moon" moment, says "this proves that I can be an idol at ANY time... so right now, I'd rather be with my friends" and puts the letter away, figuring she'll grab her dream later.

ANOTHER big ending... this episode marks the VERY LAST TIME we will ever see a "Monster Of The Week", and the very last "In the name of the Moon... I'll punish you!" speech! The two most classic, long-lasting aspects of the entire freakin' anime!

(Monster Powers: Multiattack Blasts From Keyboard)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #193: So Juban High is holding a festival, and their idea is a MAID CAFE, which was not only a thing back then, but still common today. The whole "servile woman" thing always kinda weirded me out, but whatever. Seiya is invited to the cafe and shows up, while he and the other Lights discuss the scent of their Princess on Chibi-Chibi. This leads to Seiya's friendly visit, while the other two actually corner the innocent baby and try to force her to hand over the Princess's incense burner! This makes them look like HUGE DICKS, and so the Sailors get involved.

Meanwhile, Sailor Lead Crow mourns the loss of Siren again, smiling over their "last photo together", but finds Siren's JOURNAL, and how has an idea! She promptly hits the girls when they're having their typical post-Light "why are they so awful?/no they're not all bad" conversation and calls them out- she knows their secret identities, and that Sailor Moon has a Star Seed! And WE GET THE DRAMATIC MUSIC AGAIN FINALLY!! Damn it's been a while since we've heard that. Lead Crow promptly kicks some serious ass, wiping out Venus, Mars, Jupiter & Mercury with a pair of whip-strikes, making them DENT CONCRETE. Lead Crow uses a portable black hole to threaten everyone at the fair unless Usagi gives up her Star Seed, and so OF COURSE SHE DOES, offering it to the villain. Everyone chides her, and Crow is starry-eyed over the beautiful Seed (you can tell because her eyes go all wide like a "good girl" instead of "Narrow Villain Eyes")... but then Iron Mouse attacks, breaking the black hole's container.

Lead Crow merely sheds a tear and begs forgiveness from Aluminum Siren as the black hole consumes her, while Iron Mouse prepares to take the Star Seed... until Chibi-Chibi, trapped in the same vortex, uses the incense burner and rips the black hole apart! And it's unmistakable to the Starlights- Princess Kakyuu has arrived, carrying Sailor Moon back down to earth.

Pretty big deal this time around, with the end of Lead Crow and her adorable mourning for Siren, Iron Mouse proving herself a HUGE slime yet again (truly one of the nastiest villains in the show), and the Princess FINALLY appearing.

(First Appearance: Princess Kakyuu)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #194: And now with Princess Kakyu finally having appeared, we get our favorite Sailor Moon cliche: "Now that we've caught up to the manga, let's do an Exposition Dump!". Kakyu immediately apologizes to the tearful Starlights for making them wait so long, and tells Sailor Moon about... the SAILOR WARS. "Sailor Guardians are the reincarnations of stars", set to protect peace for centuries since the dawn of time, and Sailor Cosmos, the ultimate Guardian, finally sealed away Chaos, the source of all evil. But now Chaos has returned in the form of Sailor Galaxia, who wants to steal all the Star Seeds in order to return the galaxy to Chaos. Oh, and the "Light of Hope" is the Macguffin we need to stop her! Sailor Moon's all like "yeah of course" to Kakyu's request to help find it, but OH SHIT HERE'S URANUS & NEPTUNE AGAIN. They're all like "how dare you ask us to help?" and calling her selfish, but Kakyu prevents her Starlights from attacking.

Meanwhile, Galaxia feels the light of Kakyu returning, and angrily sends Sailor Tin Nyanko to retrieve the Star Seed of Sailor Moon. There's a great bunch of comedy when the other Sailors are protective of Usagi, knowing she's the target and the villains know who she is- she's given a ton of weapons, Minako & Rei get paranoid and think every passerby is the enemy (hilariously, the third one IS), and Usagi gets a whistle that causes Rei to motor ACROSS THE CITY from her school to theirs! But the gag soon turns serious when Minako (of course) namedrops Mamoru, which is a sore point, as he STILL hasn't called (cuz he ded) and that wound is still raw and getting worse. So she asks to be left alone, leaving REI (of course) beside herself with worry.

Oh shit and now Usagi's "tired of feeling alone..." and "I'm so lonely, Mamo!". And TIN NYANKO attacks! Rei barrels across the city again and gets Seiya's help (just as he prepares to say goodbye to that life), but he gets on the roof where the fight is and BAM- thrown rose! The TUXEDO MASK MUSIC!! But alas, Moon's heart is broken as it was just Seiya wearing his overcoat like a cape. Star Serious Laser puts Nyanko on her ass, and Silver Moon Crystal Power Kiss... blows up ONE of her bracelets! She escapes in the phone booth, but half her costume is now WHITE! And Usagi has a complete breakdown over the rose, bawling her eyes out about missing Mamo, and Seiya... leans in with a serious look and says "Aren't I good enough?" That's still going on?

The Usagi/Mamo stuff and the bits with the Sailors was REALLY well done, here, as the creators are definitely ramping up the drama as we reach end-game.

(First Appearance: Sailor Cosmos- seen but not named)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #195: And we put a cap in the "Three Lights" story arc, as the trio announces they're disbanding and holding one final concert to say goodbye... oh, and the episode is titled "Princess Kakyu Perishes", so there ya go. Rei confronts Usagi at her home about the need to let Seiya down easily, since she has Mamo... at which point she discovers that Mamoru has NEVER WRITTEN BACK TO USAGI. Given that MONTHS have passed since he left, Rei is shocked and horrified that Usagi never told anyone. The girls all join together to commiserate over this, with Ami saying the University told her that Mamoru never showed up. Rei: "That Usagi! She didn't need to go through this all by herself! If only she'd told us sooner- we could have helped her!"

Usagi goes against many Sailors' wishes to see the Lights off for their concert, Seiya ultimately confessing he'd fallen for her and wanted to make sure he said it before he left... which is kinda narcissistic given how Usagi's clearly still in love with Mamoru and he knows that. But he's all "I hope you see your boyfriend soon" so oh no I guess he's nice anyways *shrug*. Now we get a VERY long bit of their final concert, as the show was I guess REALLY proud of all those little songs they wrote, so we gotta listen to many of them in longform. The Lights' VAs really aren't great singers, though. But then, right near the end, Sailor Tin Nyanko attacks! But, with half her costume white, she is fighting against herself, saying "Yes, I must be punished" one second, and trying to kill them all the next! When Princess Kakyu says that she was once a fighter for good and is being controlled by the bracelets, Sailor Moon and the others decide to help her, while the Starlights are still trying to blow her up. Sailors Uranus & Neptune are also involved, all "UGH stay out of our business!", but Moon & Kakyu are agents for unity here.

Buuuuuuuuuut now Galaxia shows up. IN PERSON. And vaporizes Nyanko immediately ("You have done enough. Good work"), then attacks Kakyu, recognizing her as being from Planet Kinmoku. Kakyu manages to counter Galaxia's repeated energy blasts, demanding the Starlights leave her while she holds the demon off. But Galaxia simply executes her and steals away her "True Star Seed", horrifying the Starlights & Sailors alike (only Uranus has a serious face on- even Neptune is mortified). Kakyu fades away, "Silver Moon Crystal Power Kiss" does NOTHING, and Galaxia promises to come for their Star Seeds next, and now Tokyo is riddled with dark energy and people's screams. Now THAT'S a big loss for our team. At least it's clear (to us, anyways), that Chibi-Chibi is the "Light of Hope" they need.

Pretty epic finale, though the mid-part was just a "Greatest Hits" of Three Lights songs to slow pictures of them singing. And Kakyu dies like one episode after she first appears and speaks, giving us only the barest hints of her personality (which, fittingly, is similar to Sailor Moon's in its desire for harmony, peace, and working together). Some weird faces and animation in parts, though- only Kakyu looked to be animated particularly well, especially in all the screaming scenes.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #196: Endgame approaches, and things rev up immediately- the Starlights, having lost their Princess, move to Galaxia's hideout for a suicide attack. The Sailors, now FINALLY joined by Pluto & Saturn, also plot, but the four "Outers" head off on their own, stating that at least one of them must survive. Things sound really "final" when Neptune & Uranus pull their "as long as you're with me" stuff. And sure enough...

So Sailor Chibi-Chibi teleports the Inners in to the battle, where the Starlights are in that "lines all over them so you know it's a tough fight" pose and Galaxia is easily winning, deflecting all their stuff. But then Sailor Moon is all "I demand you leave this planet at once!" and so Galaxia fires off her Star Seed Remover blast... and that's it for Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Venus. Their Star Seeds are in Galaxia's hands and they begin to fade away- the Starlights are like "WTF? Why did you take that hit for us?!" and we get the more emphatic version of "Because we're trying to save those we love" stuff that hits a lot harder when it's, you know, the dying words of a hero. Mercury & Venus say they love them just like they love Usagi; Jupiter pleads with the Starlights to protect their Princess as they once did, and Sailor Mars... Mars...

In one of the show's most legendary moments, even way back in the mid '90s when I was reading recaps online and devouring every bit of Sailor Moon content I could, I heard about this one. All four Sailors are executed and slowly fade away, but it's REI that Usagi runs to first. She begs her not to leave, saying she promised to be with her always, and Mars gives one of those "Rei" comments "Don't be such a baby- pull yourself together...". She chides Usagi playfully, tears in her eyes, and says she still has Mamoru (of course, WE know she doesn't), then fades away- naturally, several seconds after the others- when Rei has shit to say, she tells death to F off and death listens). And with a "sorry I won't be there to protect you anymore", she's gone.

Sailor Moon FREAKS, demands "Give them back!" and tries to move forward, but Galaxia just calmly sits on her throne, shoots Usagi back, and admires her new trinkets. Showing Sailor Moon her collection of Star Seeds, she reveals a golden one... the one from EARTH. In a great stroke of plot, Usagi recognizes a golden one immediately ("Is that... Mamo?") and realizes what it means if that's with them. Mamoru is dead, too.

Yeah, so THIS is the big one. Largely just "people standing around" until the fight later one, but you're not gonna surpass "the death of Sailor Moon's closest loved ones" in terms of plot twists. Too bad the show already did that in the first season, and more dramatically (cutting them down one by one instead of all at once). But Usagi & Rei getting the final moments is a great middle finger to the Rei haters out there, lol.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #197: We finally see the actual death of Mamoru here- the plane he was one was taken by Galaxia to her pocket dimension, and she announces her presence and her goals ("I rule the galaxy so I can do what I want with it", essentially), and she one-shots him. His rose and mask fall to the ground as he is mortally-wounded... but he looks up at her, smirking at the fact that Sailor Moon and her friends will defeat her. When Usagi realizes that Mamo is DEFINITELY dead, she has another breakdown, but Chibi-Chibi teleports the survivors out of the battle. Meanwhile, the people of Earth are having their OWN Star Seeds harvested by Galaxia as extinction draws near.

So now the Outers arrive, bemoaning how this was meant to be their fight, but the Inners came in anyhow (coming dangerously close to blaming them, but acknowledging that they should have been in first). But now it's their turn against Galaxia... and their own stuff is weaksauce. Uranus whips out the Space Sword Blaster, but Galaxia one-hands it and actually cracks the sword's red blade. Uranus actually cracks a joke and is teased by Neptune for it ("I think it's getting dulled" "You're blaming this on your weapon?" "Well I know I haven't lost my edge" "Care to test that theory?" "Maybe when we're alone together"), but Galaxia wrecks house. She even boasts that it was SHE who awoke Queen Nehalennia, for the sole purpose of forcing Sailor Saturn to awaken early- "Why bother taking Star Seeds that haven't yet ripened?". So the whole first arc was her doing, and everyone knows it. Oh, and her next energy blasts wipe the floor with the girls, shattering Pluto's Garnet Orb.

And then, in one of the all-time shockers (for those who didn't read spoilers 25 years ago), Galaxia tells them to serve her... and Uranus & Neptune ACCEPT! They willingly give up their Star Seeds, then turn on their very allies! The reasoning, at least, seems clear on the face of it, when Neptune clues in to what's going on. The game now is to feign allegiance and turn on Galaxia later (with some grim, determinist "Let's meetin hell" should they fail, of course). Neither of them SAY IT, but that's their game. But their trademark ruthlessness finally proves itself to not be all talk, as they immediately turn on their allies- Sailor Pluto & Sailor Saturn... are DEAD! And Sailor Galaxia just smiles, delighting in watching this- "Nothing excites me more than watching fellow Guardians, sworn to protect their planet, kill each other". "Countless planets have succumbed to my power, and each time, their Guardians have brought about their own doom by betraying one another. Friendship is but an illusion".

And so Sailor Moon and the Starlights, who've moved to redouble their efforts (the Lights being moved so by the death of Mars & co. to protect their loved ones), arrive to see Setsunah & Hotaru fade away, and Sailor Uranus & Neptune stand against them, ready to move in for the kill...

so yeah, another big one. Two Sailors die, and Neptune & Uranus turn "traitor".
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #198: Three more before the end! Sailor Moon's still in denial- she's still like "I still believe in you!" to Sailors Uranus & Neptune and Galaxia actually stops the fight to talk smack about how dumb that was.
"Are you really that stupid? Even after everything that has happened, you still believe in them? Hold on... surely you don't think you can still protect this planet, do you?" "I do." "... HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!" then she tells the now-evil Sailors to toy with Moon instead of just taking her star seed, and walks away!

The subsequent scene features a "World Shaking" causing Sailor Moon to hallucinate that everyone's alive and it's all over, and the betrayal was just an act (as if to convince us fans that it's not)- this breaks her heart again once she wakes up. Uranus talks some supreme smack to Sailor Star Fighter about how weak they are "You're just a bunch of amateurs you don't know your own limits. And that's why you failed to protect your Princess" which is FIGHTING WOIDS and Star Fighter dives in for the attack. She throws several savage punches, and actually lands one to the gut, impressing Uranus. But a returning shot knocks her back, and a combo World Shaking/Deep Submerge wipes out all three Starlights, and wrecks the area, leaving everyone on top of the TV building Galaxia used for a hide-out.

At this point, Usagi's forced to look at the hell Galaxia is raising on Earth, pink lightning firing down from the sky. So Galaxia talks MORE smack, saying she controls the entire galaxy now, and demands Uranus & Neptune take their Star Seeds. The blank-eyed Sailors stare down... raise their Bracelets to the sky... and their THEME SONG PLAYS, and they turn around and blast Galaxia with their attack! Oh shit, that was well done. Galaxia racoils, straining at the power, and it seems they've won... but nothing happens.

She just looks down, smirks, and praises their duplicity and willpower. "I never thought there would be someone who could resist my bracelets' control. In this vast universe I've never met Guardians quite like you". "You took the Star Seeds from your friends and became my servants knowing you could die, all the while waiting for an opportunity to strike back? And I completely fell for it". And this AMUSES her- she's impressed by their duplicitousness! Neptune is just BEATEN by all of this, realizing she's killed her friends for nothing. "This is the end of the line, isn't it?" Uranus finds their hands too bloodstained to "fly through the blue sky", all waxing poetic about being damned to Hell. "I can endure it as long as I'm with you..." Neptune says, as their bracelets are removed and they fade away. Uranus commands Fighter to watch over their princess, and the two still manage to bring their hands together as they're gone "The light feels warm, doesnt it?". Those two and their hands, I just can't.

So the next is pretty "typical Sailor Moon" as she considers giving up, but the Starlights are like "Nu-uh! The reason they all fight the way they did is because they have FAITH in you!" and so they decide to show the same faith. They bring up the Light of Hope and the "Legendary Sailor Guardian"... at which point an emotionless Galaxia responds "That Legendary Sailor Guardian... is me". SHE was the one who sealed Chaos within herself to end the "Sailor Wars"! Okay everyone had already figured that out by this point, I think. And she summons a giant blade and laughs as we're out.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #199: And then, in our penultimate episode, Sailor Galaxia talks about how she was the victor of the "Sailor Wars", and decided that the only way to save the galaxy was to absorb Chaos within her own body. Then, years later, realized that only she had the power to contain it, and made her move to conquer the entire galaxy until there was nothing left BUT her. Sailor Moon is like "but... the power of friendship?" pointing out that Sailors fight TOGETHER, and she should have asked others to share the burden.

Galaxia lashes out, but the Starlights do a big pose-off and their THEME SONG PLAYS again (so you know shit just got real), and they start throwing out a kaleidoscope of energy at her, actually OVERPOWERING the villain! Galaxia can bleed! Furious, she decides they must suffer for hurting her, unleashing an attack with her sword. This blasts them to hell, and she even crushes Star Fighter's "Star Serious Laser" pendant thing, but Sailor Moon takes one look at this evil woman who's just killed everyone close to her, including her one true love, and is like "No wait, I can purify you- let's talk". Oh FOR CHRIST'S SA-- wait, this has worked before, let's see where it goes.

So she unleashes her purifying light via the massive staff version of her wand, and bathes Galaxia in it while the Starlights coo over how warm the light is... but NOPE- she just slices the tip off the damn thing and we're back where we started. The Starlights prepare a final sacrifice, confusing Galaxia further ("You wouldn't understand", they taunt- they refuse to see "such a gentle light extinguished", and she beats them once more, but now it's Usagi jumping in the way, opposing Galaxia's power. She unleashes her Star Seed's light, but Galaxia simply GRABS it, dooming her. Princess Kakyu's spirit speaks to the Starlights, doing more "have hope because this is why you were born!" stuff, and...

Finally, we get our "Full Backstory": Galaxia, upon sealing Chaos within her, realized that her "reward" was to become corrupted by Chaos, which continually grows, even inside her. So she lets out her Star Seed (hence her being immune to the Bracelets now) and tells it to find someone who will embrace it- she thus protects it from Chaos's power. Aaaaaaaand of course it's Chibi-Chibi (who's literally sat there doing NOTHING for several episodes, but was in every scene so we'd still know she was there). She shines her light, which awakens Sailor Moon, and we've one more episode left.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Episode #200: And now, after ALL THIS TIME, we've finally reached the finale! And right out of the gate Chibi-Chibi reveals herself to be the Light of Hope Sailor Galaxia sent across the galaxy. And the Light appears before Sailor Moon, still being de-powered (you can see the pink ribbons around her and everything as her costume "disintegrates"), and empowers her into her Princess Serenity form, then transforms into a SWORD she can use to counter Galaxia's. One is even purple and one light. But before they can open the key to Castle Greyskull, they gotta FIGHT! The Light keeps telling Sailor Moon to fight and seal Galaxia using the sword- that Galaxia was corrupted by Chaos long ago and the Light (aka Galaxia's Star Seed) is the only thing that can stop her now, but Sailor Moon AGAIN refuses to fight.

So this is of course the crux of Usagi's character- she doesn't want to fight unless she HAS to- she'll wipe out mooks by the score, but but the major villains? THOSE can be redeemed. But Galaxia ain't having it, demands to be fought, then shatters the sword Usagi JUST GOT, leaving a battle-damaged Chibi-Chibi. Usagi apologizes to her as Galaxia/Chaos is all "the world sucks and I'll destroy it, blah blah", but Usagi does one of those things where she talks about even though the world is full of pain and sadness, she loves it because that's where she was able to meet all her friends and loved ones. And when Galaxia is all "But I killed everyone you loved", Usagi just points out what the Starlights said- "They're never gone, so long as I have faith".

And then we get the famous finale I recall reading about ages ago- a now nude (but with Barbie anatomy and wings) Sailor Moon- nudity symbolizing purity in Japan- still resists Galaxia's power. And she's not only rejected the idea of using the sword to hurt Galaxia, but she reaches out "for the tiny bit of hope left in your heart"- the THEME SONG PLAYS (so you know Galaxia is proper f*cked) and the Star Seeds she's collected rise up around her, she tries to use the sword but it SHATTERS, and the Power of Love prevails. We see her base form, as the long haired "Sailor Cosmos" (the manga term) looks at Galaxia, finally reaching through to her. "I too love this world- I love it with all of my heart".

The Sailors touch hands and the dark Chaos form explodes, leaving the hair-porn glory of Cosmos, who thanks Sailor Moon. "Chaos has gone back to where it belongs... in the hearts of everyone". "So it'll happen again?" Cosmos mourns. "Have faith. Don't forget the Light of Hope resides in every one of us as well". The Star Seeds are guided back to where they belong, Cosmos thanks Usagi profusely, and she's gone. But Usagi privately cries about how lonely she'll be without her friends... so of course they're all immediately resurrected, duh. And OF COURSE Mars is the first one to speak. Princess Kakyu returns before the Starlights, too, and everyone ends up on Juuban High's rooftop- Kakyu and the Starlights say their goodbyes while Seiya is all "I'll NEVER FORGET YOU" to Usagi. She's all "Yeah, we'll always be friends!" and everyone laughs over how naiive she is (though she OBVIOUSLY knows Seiya was into her, I guess she's forgetting the torch is still being carried?). Every Sailor gets one last line, Michiru responds to a shooting star by saying "I don't need to wish for anything- I have everything I need right here" and leans into her Haruka, and Mamoru professes his love to Usagi as she repeats the narration of the very first episode, updating her age and school... and they play the ORIGINAL theme song over the closing credits, complete with pictures of the cast.

And we're out. The End. 200 episodes down, and 5-6 years of doing these reviews is over. Just wild.