So, favorite pro wrestlers?

The place to talk about football, baseball, wrestling, and any other sports news.
Bladewind

Re: So, favorite pro wrestlers?

Post by Bladewind »

Bret the Hitman Hart.

And I was lucky enough to be there at the match where Shawn Michaels was "forgiven" for one night for the infamous Montreal Screwjob...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Bladewind wrote:Bret the Hitman Hart.

And I was lucky enough to be there at the match where Shawn Michaels was "forgiven" for one night for the infamous Montreal Screwjob...
I still think that was Blown way too much out of Proportion to at least not be a Partial work-over....
Demiurgos

Post by Demiurgos »

MacynSnow wrote:
Demiurgos wrote:
MacynSnow wrote:Image
"Mr.Perfect"Curt Henning("Faction"Enforcer)-You could take this man up against ANY other Technical Wrestler in his day&Age,and you have a Match of the Year Winner.I watched his Match against Bret Hart and was shocked it didn't go to a time limit(they were both that Good at the time...)
Assuming you're referring to the SummerSlam match, Mr. Perfect had a bad back going into the match, so it was an ordeal to go as long as he did. That's also why he submitted immediately as soon as Hart got the Sharpshooter on.
that's what made it so amazing,especially since bret had Just gotten over the flu...and it was still match of the year,to boot! :)
Indeed.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Chris Jericho is at the top of my list.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

That may keep you off his list
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

I like The Undertaker. The gimmick is one thing. The slow approach, the sheer size. But then you have what he does.
Two matches against Shawn Michaels. No, not the Wrestlemania ones but in 1997 following Bret Hart vs Undertaker at Summerslam where Shawn 'cost' the Undertaker the belt. At the In Your House match 17 the two of them go at each other and at the end, the Undertaker runs the length of the ring and dives over the top rope onto some of the wrestlers who have broken the two of them up. This is followed by the first Hell in a Cell match which ends with Kane's first appearance. The look of shock in the Undertaker's eyes as he stands in front of 'his brother'.

His feud with Mankind was great. And you appreciate it even more if you read Foley's autobiography. The King of the Ring 1998 match is astounding. Foley points out that both of them were injured and they still pull off something astonishing.
His later matches against Batista and Edge and then the Michaels rematches are great.
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

I like Mick Foley especially since I read his autobiography A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks. If you have not read and like wrestling I would urge you to consider adding it to your reading list.
It made me to change my mind about how I felt about some wrestlers especially Harley Race who I had bad opinion of after his managerial run in WCW.

His run with the Rock as the Rock and Sock Connection was fun. As was his winning of the Championship. And the pirating of phrases from the Rock and others. What he was prepared to do in order to entertain the crowds was amazing.

I like Bret Hart and his autobiography is also very good and entertaining as it has more of a life and covered almost his entire career. His fight with Roddy Piper to win the Intercontinental Championship at Wrestlemania is good. The collection of his matches released by WWE showed how he was prepared to put over other people like his brother, the British Bulldog and Steve Austin. He is quite candid about his dislike of Shawn Michaels. The book and video are really good. The acceptance speech on joining the Hall of Fame is notable for its restraint and Steve Austin was his inductor.

I back the liking of Randy Savage. There was just something about him, his intensity and his work. The match against Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania has stood the test of time. He had colourful costumes which on anyone else might have looked out of place. He made them work. It is sad that he is no longer with us. But his promos are.
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

Steve Austin. I saw his run in WCW at the start of the 90s and it was not up to much. What he did in WWE was astonishing with how the crowd took to him. His wrestling might have been limited but he could really get under the skin and work the crowd. The feud with his boss fed into people's fantasies about taking on and beating the boss. And how they kept the feud going with Austin winning and losing or be stripped of the title was entertaining. The fights continually went into the crowd Some of the best is on a collection of RAW.
Seeing the Expendables where you see the sheer size of him against Eric Roberts made me gape.

The Rock. The other undisputed master of the microphone was The Rock. Once he became The Rock he became popular with the crowd even if he was running them down. And surprisingly he has become the most successful wrestler turned actor. But then again maybe not. His grandfather was in You Only Live Twice and fights Sean Connery only to be killed by him. The fight then was believable and you really feel that his character could kill James Bond.
The Rock can also adapt to things in the ring. Such as when his sunglasses fell off his face and Mankind makes a big deal of handing them back to him. He was, and is, more entertaining than Triple H.
His finishing moves also energise the crowd be it the Rock Bottom or The People's Elbow. The latter can also be delivered when guest refereeing as shown here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBalBcUWH0
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

Being British I do support the home town heroes, the best of whom was the British Bulldog. His win at Summerslam in 1992 against Bret Hart his brother in law was perhaps the high point. But his fight in the Royal Rumble 1992 which Rick Flair won is also noteworthy. He appeared on kids TV in Britain and was very affable unlike Hulk Hogan who came off badly.

I like Paige but it seems sadly that she is on her way out of the WWE as she is another home town wrestler.

Wade Barrett is aright but I feel more could have been done with him.
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

HalloweenJack wrote:TNA.....wow.....do I dare post the Delete or Decay video? Do I?

Yeaaaah....I will.

Be warned.....some people loved it.....others like me hated it with the fire of a million suns.

Though....I am planning on making Rosemary my future ex wife....so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfazOnqXlCk
I saw this last year not live but Youtube recommended it. I had seen Matt and Jeff Hardy's work in the WWE and it is usually Jeff doing the more entertaining work. Here Matt's work on the microphone and the whole personna is great. Then you have Decay. Rosemary really sells it and it lets her partners come in. It works.

Nice to see other people are picking up on this.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

yeah but I'd rather put it down
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

among the Newer guy's i have a personal preference to these guy's:
APOLLO CREWS:to me,this guy has an absolutely amazing move-set and could be(if properly pushed) the next Heavyweight Champion...
"COWBOY" JAMES STORM:I always liked the original roster of TNA(before they started introducing to many Ex-WWE Stars..) and thought "The Cowboy" stood out;he was more redneck than Austin ever was& used Shawn Michaels Superkick...
"WILDCAT" CHRIS HARRIS:he has a fairly decent move-set(ok,he may need some work on his mic skills,but that's why you put him as a Tag Team with somebody with good promo skills...)and would make a decent Interm IC/US Champion...
AMERICAS MOST WANTED(AMW):i always thought that it was a shame that they split up when they did.Their Tag Finisher(The Death Sentence :a Bearhug / Diving leg drop combo)is one of the better's out their&they could make legit Tag Champs,especially when you add Gail as their Manager/Faction member...
GAIL KIM:speaking of the lady,she's one of the quicker women wrestlers out their & would be a Good addition to any roster..
BAD INFLUENCE:not only are Daniels&Kaz a good Tag Team,they would be great if put into either an IC title run or even a World Championship run(at least for Daniels,who's at least as good as AJ Styles&Samoa Joe..)
MOTOR CITY MACHINEGUNS:this is by far one of my Favorite TNA Tag Teams,they would do fantastic in WWE.(Just think of the Match between them&American Alpha... :shock: )
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:28 pm That may keep you off his list
I see what you did there, and I like it.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

well that'll keep me off the list
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Death Tribble wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:37 pm
HalloweenJack wrote:TNA.....wow.....do I dare post the Delete or Decay video? Do I?

Yeaaaah....I will.

Be warned.....some people loved it.....others like me hated it with the fire of a million suns.

Though....I am planning on making Rosemary my future ex wife....so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfazOnqXlCk
I saw this last year not live but Youtube recommended it. I had seen Matt and Jeff Hardy's work in the WWE and it is usually Jeff doing the more entertaining work. Here Matt's work on the microphone and the whole personna is great. Then you have Decay. Rosemary really sells it and it lets her partners come in. It works.

Nice to see other people are picking up on this.
i don't think TNA Wrestling is that bad,it's that it's ran by people who seem(to me,at least) to not care about their Homegrown talent anymore...