Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Batgirl III

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Batgirl III »

Roseanne's entire career and her entire public persona is built on her being a crude, uncouth loudmouth who says crude and outrageous things. She's literally been doing the same act longer than I've been alive. She dialed it back for her eponymous sitcom in the Nineties, but if that show was considered shockingly rude for its time (until it was topped by Married With Children and the floodgates for vulgar comedy in prime time opened).

Roseanne's claim was that she didn't even know Valerie Jarrett was African-American, which, is actually pretty believable if you ask me. First off, to probably 95% of Americans "Valerie Jarrett" is just a name from the nightly news and not someone they could ever actually put a face to. "Senior Advisor to the President" and "Director of the Office of Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs" aren't exactly offices that attract a lot of attention from the majority of people...

I mean, for crissakes, I'm a huge politics junkie who can rattle off the names of the current and the last five people who held the Senior Advisor to the President post -- Jared Kushner, David Axelrod, Barry Jackson, Valerie Jarrett, Karl Rove, Sid Blumenthal -- but I'll be damned if I could pick any of them out of a line up. Okay, maybe Kushner... although, honestly, he looks pretty much like every other middle-aged Yeshivot lawyer on the planet. Roseanne's tweet was mocking her appearance, so obviously she knew what Jarrett looked like... But did she think Jarrett looked African-American? She says she didn't, and honestly, I believe her. Jarrett has very fair skin and routinely self-identifies as "Iranian-American" or "Iranian" in interviews. A lot of people might assume she's Persian.

Valerie Jarrett is on the left (pun not intended).

Furthermore, both of her parents are apparently bi-racial themselves. Apparently, Jarrett was on a 2014 episode of PBS's show Finding Your Roots, which used DNA testing to show that Jarrett is of 49% European, 46% African, and 5% Native American. So if we're going to play stupid identity politics games, then Jarrett is actually more "white" than she is "black."

TL;DR: The whole shit storm unleashed was dumb.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Woman faces descrimination as police and media refuse to label her crime "rape".

Post by Ares »

Yes, but that's really the point: Certain people getting fired over old Tweets while other people can say equally vile things and just blow it off as "I'm a woman of color online, I've been harassed, so I was doing some counter-trolling and didn't really mean it" is stupid and hypocritical. Either everyone is held accountable for their social media statements (in which case social media will get used less, which I'd be happy with) or no one is held accountable. People claiming to be victims while then saying vile things and getting away from it is a kind of hypocrisy you'd think most people could understand.

It's sort of like how a lot of die-hard feminists complained about the Buffy Reboot and the changes it'll make, completely missing that it's the thing they criticize pretty much everyone else for doing.

I wish I could find the exact quote from Babylon 5, where either Sinclair or Sheridan is telling G'Kar that "The Narn are like a bunch of children that have been bullied for so long, the only thing you can think to do is be bullies yourselves."
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

It was Sinclair, and you're right the whole thing makes a perfect analogy for Feminist, LGBT Activists, Civil Rights Activists and manner of other people who had to struggle for equality... and then turned around to smack other people down.
Babylon 5, 'Chrysalis' (S. 1, Ep. 22) wrote:Sinclair: In order to be free you had to learn to fight. No one questions that. But you've overcompensated. You are like abused children who have grown big enough to do the same thing to someone else as if it would somehow balance the scales. It won't. If you let the anger cloud your judgement, it will destroy you.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thank you BG. Man Babylon 5 was so good.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ares wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:52 am Thank you BG. Man Babylon 5 was so good.
I just finished re-re-re-re-re-watching the entire series a month ago.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Funniest thing was ABC knew Roseanne was a lunatic (check out her Twitter war with Ken Levine), but still put her on the air because of ratings. Then they turned around and were suddenly AGHAST at the shocking statements of their big star.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Which is basically like hiring Mike Tyson to be the bouncer at your club and are then shocked when he starts punching and biting people.

Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Roseanne has always been a "shock comic," it was less then a decade ago that she was dressing up as Adolf Hitler and baking Jewish gingerbread men in the pages of Heeb magazine and joking about thinking she was the reincarnation of Hitler... Yeah, it's a comedy magazine, sort of a Jewish (well, more Jewish) version of Charlie Hebdo or National Lampoon. But, let's face it, this still isn't exactly a "family friendly" image.

"That Oven Feelin'." Heeb. August 11, 2010. Accessed August 04, 2018. http://heebmagazine.com/that-oven-feelin-2/1229.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

That poor guy. If you haven't lived with an abusive woman it is hard to describe how it erodes your sense of self. This will not have been the first time she has abused him.

When you push a narrative that rape is forced penis in orifice (not non-consensual sex) then you are not going to be able to show that a man can be raped.
When you push the 'he had an erection' so he must have been enjoying it so it wasn't realky rape while ignoring the number of women who orgasm during rape (and suffer emotional/psychic trauma because of it) you will never convince people a man can be raped.
Sex with a child is never consensual because they are not making an informed choice and there is a HUGE power imbalance despite what the LGBTQA+37 Cult will try to tell you.

Someone coerced someone else to have sex against their will. It's rape.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Ares wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:08 am [As a man of mostly Irish and Native American ancestry, I have an interesting perspective on the "you owe black people reparations!" subject. And a comprehensive vocabulary of profanity to express it with.
Reparations are an interesting topic and even the mechanics of it seem unsolvable.
1. Who owes reparations? The slave owner or the African or middle-eastern people who enslaved the ancestors in the first place?
2. Are reparations owed to only black people who are direct descendants of slaves?
3. What about irish slaves, or Slavic or any of the other races that have been enslaved over the centuries?
4. What happens if you are descended from a slave AND a slave owner (not uncommon)? Do you need to pay yourself reparations?
5. If reparations are to redress the economic imbalance caused by your ancestors being slaves and unable to earn wealth then do we pay reparations to the descendents of people who were killed fighting in the civil war as they too lost the capacity to earn income (by being dead or crippled)?
6. If your black ancestor shot and killed a white person do you have to pay reparations to them, especially if you were fighting for the south.
7. Black people and some indian tribes had slaves, do they also have to pay reparations?
8. What is the ratio of Black to other ethnicity that entitles you to reparations? 1/4, 1/8/1/64th, 1/128?
9. If you are white and adopted by a poor black family are you eligible for reparations?
10. Why aren't Turkey, Africa and the middle-east paying reparations for their 1600 years of slavery?
11. If you are descended from an African tribe that enslaved other Blacks and decide to emigrate to USA do you have to pay reparations?
12. How do you quantify how much reparations are required and what is the finish date?
Birth rates being what they are, there are a lot more people now than then. If there were 1000 slave owners how much are we expecting each descendent to pay? If there are 10 million descendents of slaves and 10,000 descendents of slave owners as there were more slaves than slave owners how much are we expecting each descendent to pay? If each slave owner descendent coughs up 10,000 dollars each that means each descendent of slaves gets a 1000 dollars. Will that be enough?
13. Is it just to punish descendents for the sins of their ancestors? I don't think so. African tribes could be violent and conquered other African tribes. If we are being just then surely these tribes should pay reparations to the tribes they conquered.
14. If punishing descendents is just then do the families of the criminals have to keep on paying reparations to the families of those they commited a crime against and for how long?
14. Is it means tested? Does a poverty stricken family that has ancestors that were slave owners have to pay reparations to Jaimie Foxx, Barack Obama, Colin Kapernick, and Jay-Z despite being left in a financially awful position since their ancestors died in the civil war?
15. The Chinese were also treated awfully. Do they get reparations as well and from who?
16. Do people who are the descendents of white slaves get reparations, and if not why not?
17. Do new immigrants have to contribute to reparations?
That is all I can think of for now.. At the moment it just seems like a "whitey" tax.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.