* Debate: What is it here for? *

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Ares
Site Admin

* Debate: What is it here for? *

Post by Ares »

Absolutely nothing. 8-)

*AHEM*

Sorry. :oops:

Anyway, a lot of times folks in threads, topics come up that people want to discuss that go beyond the intended purpose of said topic. It is well within the thread starter's right to ask people to get back on topic, but it is also understandable that people would wish to continue the debate that had been going. If that is the case, please feel free to start a thread here and debate it to your hearts content.

Just remember that the same rules for civility apply here. You can disagree with someones views, you can find someone's position to be flawed or dumb, you can consider some group to be a hateful bunch. Smart people can sometimes make dumb arguments, there's nothing wrong with attacking an argument, within reason. But you will not insult each other, or use attacking someone's argument as a round about way to attack someone. No "Anyone who believes this is a moron" or something similarly phrased will be considered a personal attack.

We're a pretty creative bunch with wildly different ideas about a lot of things. Disagreements will happen. Discussions can come from them and can lead to some very interesting and thought provoking discussions. But never get so caught up in a debate that you think you can insult someone here. Debates can be heated, but they will never become disrespectful.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ken

Re: * Debate: What is it here for? *

Post by Ken »

So, do we expect an intellectual process rather than just contradiction?

Monty Python's Argument Clinic Sketch
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: * Debate: What is it here for? *

Post by Ares »

I'm not going to watch every debate and make sure that everyone is making reasoned arguments and backing up their statements with either sources or logic. If people want to debate and use anecdotal evidence, "this is just how I feel" or similar things, they're free to do so until things get nasty and insults are started. It's the responsibilities of both parties involved to debate like they've got working brain cells. And if someone realizes they're in a debate with someone who is not actually debating but pontificating or using some non-sense pseudo-logic, then it's the responsibility of that person to realize that debating the other person is a waste of time and you need to just call it a day.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.