Hamilton Political Debate

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Jabroniville

Re: Hamilton

Post by Jabroniville »

Hah- now Hamilton is in the news AGAIN because Vice President-Elect Mike Pence was in the audience, and got booed by the crowd. Then at the curtain call, the actors told the audience not to do that, but also lectured Pence (who's known for going against Gay Rights and promoting Gay Conversion Therapy) to "protect the rights of all Americans". Now Donald Trump is demanding an apology, and people are talking about "Boycotting Hamilton". Which, as it's sold out until next September, is gonna be hella-tricky to pull off.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Jabroniville wrote:Hah- now Hamilton is in the news AGAIN because Vice President-Elect Mike Pence was in the audience, and got booed by the crowd. Then at the curtain call, the actors told the audience not to do that, but also lectured Pence (who's known for going against Gay Rights and promoting Gay Conversion Therapy) to "protect the rights of all Americans". Now Donald Trump is demanding an apology, and people are talking about "Boycotting Hamilton". Which, as it's sold out until next September, is gonna be hella-tricky to pull off.
I'm totally boycotting Hamilton!

Which is convenient, because it's a bit out of my way to begin with, and even if I had realistic access, which I don't, I don't think I could justify spending that much for a ticket...

Seriously, though, I think Steve Van Zandt is entirely right on this issue. It's just plain rude to lecture a paying customer from the stage, no matter what you think of their politics.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

On a side note, Pence issued a statement that he wasn't offended and that this is "what freedom sounds like." Pretty classy, in my opinion.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

If you ask me, both Trump and the cast behaved boorishly. I have no issue with the content of their speech, but I don't like the timing. I'm sue that most of the audience — it was a production on Broadway — probably agreed with it. Gov. Pence is a public figure, he's fair game for criticism... But the lecture was delivered to a captive audience who came to see a show, not a political rally.

But do we have to mix the personal with the political all the time?

Whether it's BLM activists ruining people's weekend brunch or Trump supporters making things awkward for everyone at Starbucks this petulant tantrum-throwing needs to stop.

I'm a very politically active person, sometimes to my detriment, but this is just bad form from both sides.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Wow, it didn't take long.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Ona second side note the Hamilton cast just told President cheeto face where he could stick his apology. :D
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I get the feeling this is all gonna get worse before it gets better. I mean, in EVERY form of media.

I like how some are already "Trump is only focusing on this to deflect attention from his Trump University lawsuit fallout!" I'm like "... yeah, because Trump is TOTALLY AFRAID of bad publicity." The guy ran the most scandal-ridden campaign in history and STILL WON. He's very much a believer in "All publicity is good publicity".

I'm amused by his terminology of "Safe (...) place", because that's SUCH a line of the far-left movements.

The play, for what it's worth, wears its political heart on its sleeve. It casts "People of Color" into every role (but King George) both as a political statement and to show minorities that American History is still relevant to them. It makes a huge deal out of the main character being an immigrant, the line "Immigrants... We get the job done!" was added specifically over the past couple years' worth of hostility towards immigration, and the hero is all about forming "a strong central government" while a huge antagonist is Thomas Jefferson. The main writer & star of the show (who is no longer there; he's written some songs for Moana, though!) is hugely friendly with Barack Obama, and his replacement as Hamilton is a gay man suffering from AIDS. Never mind that it's a MUSICAL THEATRICAL PRODUCTION on Broadway. It's, uh... a pretty Left-Wing Thing.

But yeah. Let's all have fun with the next four years of every showbiz-related thing getting dragged down in political muckraking :). Granted, backlash against that very thing is part of what helped Trump win.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,” he said. “We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.”
The horror of these lines. THE HORROR!
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Miracle wrote:
“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,” he said. “We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.”
The horror of these lines. THE HORROR!
I'll agree that it's a reasoned speech that avoids directly insulting Mike Pence — as I put it to a fellow Shakespeare actor, it's "o'th' windy side of the law" — but it is still a public calling out, one which is fueled as much by rumors as anything else (I still keep seeing the "Pence looted AIDs funds to pay for gay conversion therapy" story despite it having been shown repeatedly that the only person claiming it was the Lieutenant Governor of California and the facts showing otherwise), so I could readily see where Pence could have been offended.

But he wasn't. He took it graciously, with the sort of poise that we usually praise our presidents for. Unlike, of course, the president-elect... but don't get me started on him. :)
Ares
Site Admin

Hamilton Political Debate

Post by Ares »

Carry on.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Hamilton Political Debate

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ I maintain that things turned out pretty well, all things said. The Hamilton people aired their grievances. Pence seemed unoffended and applauded that they felt free to speak. What more is there to say?
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Oh no. I'm in a political debate. On the internet. This will end well. :shock: :o
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

My hope is that Trump and Pence are excoriated wherever they go, as they have so rightly earned.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

FuzzyBoots wrote:^_^ I maintain that things turned out pretty well, all things said. The Hamilton people aired their grievances. Pence seemed unoffended and applauded that they felt free to speak. What more is there to say?
While I don't really agree with Pence's policies or views at all, I do agree that he did handle it fairly well. The thing I don't agree with is the hypocrisy of Trump calling people out for being "rude."
Formerly luketheduke86
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Generally, I see it as a public calling-out, on a level that could easily be seen as rude. They basically "Saint Matthewed" him with passive-aggression :). However, Pence was given some guff by the crowd pretty regularly, so it would have been awkward had the cast NOT said anything about it. I mean, I agree with their point. They at least handled it better than what I heard Lady Gaga did the night Hillary lost, all protesting and screaming and whatever.

I imagine had a liberal politician been publicly seen at a Conservative-friendly show, they'd also get a bit of a lecture. At least a good-natured ribbing. I keep imagining Hillary Clinton going to a Ted Nugent concert or something :).