Hamilton Political Debate

If you need to argue some point, do it here.
Batgirl III

Re: Hamilton Political Debate

Post by Batgirl III »

Spectrum wrote:What is your 'win' condition? What makes things 'right'?
270+ votes in the Electoral College; Which are fairly won according to the federal election laws of the United States and the election laws of the individual states.
Spectrum wrote:What will other people have to do (give up) in order to get you there?
Absolutely nothing.
Spectrum wrote:How will you make them change?
I won't.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Since the tax rate for married couples is lower than singles, I'm curious on how allowing same sex marriages will change the budget for next year.

Edit: Then again, does same sex marriage become even more difficult given that there are now 36 (?) of them?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Spectrum wrote:Since the tax rate for married couples is lower than singles, I'm curious on how allowing same sex marriages will change the budget for next year.
I don't think its going to have any significantly measurable effect.

A quick Google search led me to a Washington Post article that cited Gallup poll that estimated there were about 390,000 married same-sex couples in the country, and another 1.2 million adults living in a same-sex domestic partnerships. This was written before Obergefell v. Hodges was decided and the article estimates that Obergefell would lead to a big jump in same-sex marriages... Which seems a safe assumption.

Nevertheless, I think that its highly unlikely we'd see that many more same-sex marriages. I mean, there's only so many LGBT folks out there and the number of them that marry will never be 100%. So even if we're super liberal with our estimates as assume all existing same-sex domestic partnerships become marriages and the number of same-sex marriages doubles... You're looking at maybe one million marriages.

According to the statistics I can quickly find, number of married couples in the United States totaled some 59.63 million pairs in 2014. Adding another million couples to that is not a statistically significant shift.

On the other hand, it does remind me of a cartoon that the first attorney I ever worked for had taped to the fridge in the break room: Two men are talking to each other on the court house steps. "I can't wait for same-sex marriage to become legal." "I didn't know you were gay?" "I'm not. I'm a divorce lawyer."
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

I think that I saw a similar comment from Dolly Parton.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.