Valkyrie 616 help?

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
M4C8

Valkyrie 616 help?

Post by M4C8 »

I have a question concerning Valkyrie 616
I often see comments asserting Val is bi-sexual (some even going so far as to call out Thor: Ragnarok for not showing her to be so) yet I've never seen her in a relationship with a woman. I know Annabelle Riggs kissed Val in the Fearless Defenders title but from what I remember Val just dismissed it and Annabelle then began to date Ren Kimura. I have the title but due to lack of space where I store my comics I can't get to it at present to see if the issue of Val's sexuality was revisited, was there anything in the series that gave a definitive answer?
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Re: Valkyrie 616 help?

Post by Ken »

I would point out that Thor: Ragnarok didn't show her NOT to be bisexual either. They showed a character not defined her sexual preferences.

That said, a few minutes of internet research say Fearless Defenders #1, from 2013 is where this detail was defined.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Ken wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm I would point out that Thor: Ragnarok didn't show her NOT to be bisexual either. They showed a character not defined her sexual preferences.

That said, a few minutes of internet research say Fearless Defenders #1, from 2013 is where this detail was defined.
Yeah I remember Riggs taking a shot and kissing Val but I don't remember what Val said in response.
Last edited by M4C8 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ken

Post by Ken »

No idea. Just going by what I found in a Marvel wiki as to where.

Mostly I think it's wishful thinking, but how would I know. Companies stopped marketing comics to me years ago.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Thor: Ragnarok didn’t show Thor, Loki, Bruce, Hela, Heimdall (continues to rattle off the entire cast list) or Cousin Carlo to be bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual, or asexual. It didn’t depict sexual or romantic relationships between anyone in the cast.

The closest we got was a throwaway joke about the Grandmaster using his yacht for orgies (the orientation of the participants wasn’t specified). There’s also the paternal relationship between Hela and Odin, but I don’t recall Hela’s other parent being named... does she even have one? Odin is also apparently still mourning the death of his wife Frigga, but does that make him heterosexual? He could be bi...

Turns out, in an action-adventure flick with thunder-god rocket punching a giant lava-man and a green rage monster wrasslin’ a zombie-wolf... Yeah, the complicated nuances of adult sexuality and romantic attraction aren’t a big deal. Go fig.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

To people whose core issue is sexuality, failing to explore a character's sexuality is missing the entire point.

Me, I view sexuality as a mostly-uninteresting detail, unless it becomes personally relevant to me.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I feel so sorry for people like that. They used to annoy me, now they just fill me with an overwhelming sense of sorrow.

They have confused their sexual orientation and/or gender with their personality. They don’t have hobbies, they don’t have interests, they don’t have goals... They’re just gay. Like, full-time, 24/7, everyday no days off gay.

“Whatcha doing this Saturday?”
“Being gay at a gay parade.”

“Didn’t you do that last Saturday?”
“No, I was busy being gay at a gay protest.”

“Uh-huh. You want to go see a movie after?”
“Can’t. Superhero movies promote cishetero normative tropes. I’m going to go be gay at a queer film festival.”

“I got tickets to go see that new ‘Hamilton’ musical.”
“Forcing queer actors of color to portray cishet white men is oppressive.”

“I can trade them in for ‘Rent’ tickets.”
“So we can watch cishet actors appropriate the lives experience of queer bodies? No.”

“Okay, fine, my transgender husband, my queer daughter, and I are going to join our gay Indonesian friends and their new poly third partner at the organic trout farm owned by my disabled Cuban friend and his husband for a cook-out and some target shooting. Everyone is really excited to try out his new machine gun. But I’ve also promised everyone I’d bring my Thompson sub-machine gun too.”*
“Umm...”

*What? How did you guys celebrate the Fourth of July?
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm “Can’t. Superhero movies promote cishetero normative tropes. I’m going to go be gay at a queer film festival.”
"You never saw Joel Schumacher's Batman and Robin, did you?"

M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:43 pm Thor: Ragnarok didn’t show Thor, Loki, Bruce, Hela, Heimdall (continues to rattle off the entire cast list) or Cousin Carlo to be bisexual, heterosexual, homosexual, or asexual. It didn’t depict sexual or romantic relationships between anyone in the cast.

The closest we got was a throwaway joke about the Grandmaster using his yacht for orgies (the orientation of the participants wasn’t specified). There’s also the paternal relationship between Hela and Odin, but I don’t recall Hela’s other parent being named... does she even have one? Odin is also apparently still mourning the death of his wife Frigga, but does that make him heterosexual? He could be bi...

Turns out, in an action-adventure flick with thunder-god rocket punching a giant lava-man and a green rage monster wrasslin’ a zombie-wolf... Yeah, the complicated nuances of adult sexuality and romantic attraction aren’t a big deal. Go fig.
That's all pretty much why I asked in the first place, so many people are adamant that she's bi-sexual and not outright stating her to be in the movie was some kind of purposeful slight against bi-sexual people. Surely the reasoning for all that can't be based on that single scene.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've read maybe a half-dozen comics in which Valkyrie appeared in my 30+ years of reading comics, I cannot recall any where she was a major player. So I won't pretend to know if the comics depict the character as LGBT... I do find it interesting that when I google her these days, writers for Cinema Blend, Vox, Jezebel, Collider, Newsweek, and the BBC(!) apparently have such encyclopedic knowledge of the character.

Silly me, I always thought that The Defenders was a middling selling comic that got cancelled in the late Seventies. Who knew it had legions of fans that would all go on to become media commentators for major news services?
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:40 pm I've read maybe a half-dozen comics in which Valkyrie appeared in my 30+ years of reading comics, I cannot recall any where she was a major player. So I won't pretend to know if the comics depict the character as LGBT... I do find it interesting that when I google her these days, writers for Cinema Blend, Vox, Jezebel, Collider, Newsweek, and the BBC(!) apparently have such encyclopedic knowledge of the character.

Silly me, I always thought that The Defenders was a middling selling comic that got cancelled in the late Seventies. Who knew it had legions of fans that would all go on to become media commentators for major news services?
:lol:
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:08 pm I feel so sorry for people like that. They used to annoy me, now they just fill me with an overwhelming sense of sorrow.
The Equal Opportunity checkbox section of a job application does not tell you everything about a person's life. It deeply disturbs me that there is a large, militant cultural movement defined mostly by disagreeing with that statement.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Remember when people who judged people’s worth solely on the basis of their skin color, sex, gender, or ethnicity were considered to be the ignorant, knuckle-dragging, bigots?

“Only Nineties Kids will remember...” :(
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:44 pm Remember when people who judged people’s worth solely on the basis of their skin color, sex, gender, or ethnicity were considered to be the ignorant, knuckle-dragging, bigots?

“Only Nineties Kids will remember...” :(
It's always been and always will be. It's just WHO is considered the bigots. Right now, it's aimed at the Huwite Man, because it's the low hanging fruit. 50+ years ago it was the Black man. It's a cycle that won't end, until we are.