So, guess who got his first RPG.net ban?

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Ares
Site Admin

So, guess who got his first RPG.net ban?

Post by Ares »

So, I visit RPG.net fairly frequently, trying to keep up on news as I do my own work, get ideas for my own stuff, etc.

And today, I found this: https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?80 ... st20956353

I'm Paxchi, in case anyone's curious.

Now, apparently the reason for my banning is:

Racist dogwhistles

And not following Rule 2 of the site, which is as follows
Rule 2: Do not make attacks against other gamers. Challenging arguments and ideas is fine, but not attacking the people holding them. This includes attacks on an individual poster, or groups that any reasonable person would understand includes fellow RPGnetters. Gaming industry professionals are assumed to be users of the site for this purpose. Racist, sexist, homophobic or transphobic posts will not be tolerated. Support of Gamergate, Stormfront or any other hate group is not tolerated and will result in banning.
Now, to my knowledge, Gamergate was cleared as not being a hate group by the government, but that's besides the point.

It's only a one day ban, but still. Kind of annoyed.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: So, guess who got his first RPG.net ban?

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I still don't understand why and how Gamergate manages to end up in the same sentence as something like stormfront, but yes, that is beside the point.

Really does seem like a shame that you're on there for ten years, and get a ban over something like that mate.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Ken

Post by Ken »

Remember, Orwell got the year wrong, not much else.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos »

I read your post and did not find anything offensive in it. It might just be me as I'm not easily offended.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

me neither,but it usually takes a lot to tick and/or offend me...:)
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

So I'll just come out & say what I'm thinking after reading that.

WTF?!

I don't see how any of what you wrote could be considered inflammatory. Is it a lot of information about some uncomfortable situations? Yes indeed. However, none of it supports any kind of person-bashing that the Mod is using as reason for the banning. Maybe I misread something.

Personally I'd be a lot more than annoyed if I were you, so my hat's off to you sir.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Thanks for the support guys. In the long run it's just a one day ban, and not really a big deal, but still, it was a little disturbing to find myself banned for what felt like pretty arbitrary reasons.

I've heard that RPG.net has sort of gone kind of crazy as far as mods go, and has been on kind of a downward spiral for the last several years. It doesn't help that the person banning me apparently has a lot of SJW beliefs, made clear by an out of context quote by Neil Gaiman that seems to support Political Correctness, when the full quote makes it clear Gaiman is talking about respect not having anything to do with political correctness.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens the next time this kind of topic comes up.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

I don't agree with everything you said in your post, but I'd fight to my last breath to defend your right to say it. Censorship of opinions is never OK in my book.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, this was dumb, and comes off like an SJW mod knee-jerking and going over the top.

At worst, your post could be seen as intentionally calling out the opinions of other posters (who, given RPGnet's rep, are likely prone to being more sympathetic to the causes you made fun of), "provoking" a fight by deriding their opinions. But it'd be impossible to go on ANY forum and make a statement of opinion without doing something like that.

And man... I never wanted to be "the guy who blames SJWs for everything", or wanted this place to be "the anti-SJW site". I'm sympathetic enough to some of their causes that this kind of thing would bother me. But watching them run roughshod all over EVERYTHING, virtually take over Marvel Comics, and leap from forum to forum in order to crush "problematic" statements and paint everyone on the opposing side as bigots? Yeah, it's gotten out of hand.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I certainly didn't make this place intending it to be some place to rag on SJWs. I encourage discussion here, and I have no problem with people striving for genuine equality in a healthy way. I just can't abide bullying, intellectual dishonesty, hypocrisy and Bible-thumping, and I've seen way too many SJWs make use of one or all of those methods.

I will happily open a dialogue with someone who disagrees with my points, but getting an actual debate is difficult because you get beaten down by rhetoric, and disagreeing with them seems to give them carte blanch to make you the bad guy.

And perhaps it's just me, but I see Cultural Appropriation as a non-issue. Someone much cuter than myself did a decent video on the topic, and I generally agree with most of her points. And the whole notion rings so hollow in most cases I see. What they call "cultural appropriation" most often seems like "cultural assimilation", which I consider a good thing. But people decry it because it gives them an excuse to be angry at someone. And honestly, sometimes it feels like they're trying to enforce a kind of cultural segregation to maintain some kind of special snowflake status.

Anyway, I'm rambling again. The point is that I'm not against discussions about these topics, as long as they're done civilly. Over on RPG.net, they clearly don't want any discussions, and have no problem not being civil about it.

badpenny

Post by badpenny »

There's a lot of sophistry going on in the video you cite. First, it has to be taken on a case by case basis else you end up with the ridiculous notion of physically having to ask someone for permission. That's not the point.

Take cornrows. First, you have to understand the history of Black hair. Second, you have to understand White privilege. It costs nothing for a white person to have their hair any damn way they like. OTOH, black people have been maligned for centuries for their hair. That they now get to be more like white people (less stigmatized for having/wearing natural hair) should be theirs (an identity). White people wearing cornrows is appropriation.

Then you get backlash from white privilege being impinged with the whiny five year old voice, "But they get to do it." cf White/All Lives Matter.

My background is white, female, and a Social Worker (yes, a dreaded SJW). AMA! :)
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

It's shameful and embarrassing for me to admit this, but I spend anywhere from $1000 to $1200 a year just to keep my hair relaxed. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror when it starts getting nappy.

It's hard to understand what it's like to be a visible minority unless you've lived the life.
Last edited by MissRo on Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

badpenny wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:35 pm There's a lot of sophistry going on in the video you cite. First, it has to be taken on a case by case basis else you end up with the ridiculous notion of physically having to ask someone for permission. That's not the point.
Based on an article someone used to justify cultural appropriation, "without permission" was in fact a part of the grievances listed, and why I brought it up in my post over there. Because again, the idea that you can't include another culture in some form of art or entertainment, can't try to understand or emulate aspects of that culture you find appealing, and similar things without seeking some sort of permission is, to me, asinine.
Take cornrows. First, you have to understand the history of Black hair. Second, you have to understand White privilege. It costs nothing for a white person to have their hair any damn way they like. OTOH, black people have been maligned for centuries for their hair. That they now get to be more like white people (less stigmatized for having/wearing natural hair) should be theirs (an identity). White people wearing cornrows is appropriation.
I mean no offense to anyone, and we might just have to agree to disagree, but I can't really agree with this. A white person wearing cornrows is not taking anything from the black community. The worst you can say is they're being insensitive, but that's only if it's done intentionally to offend them. Emulating a culture you like is showing support and acceptance of it. This would be like saying only black people should be able to play jazz or sing rap. A founding principle of this country, one that's taken a while to truly and legally apply to everyone, is the pursuit of happiness and the right to dress and behave as you please as long as it doesn't infringe the rights of others.
My background is white, female, and a Social Worker (yes, a dreaded SJW). AMA! :)
I consider Social Workers and SJWs two completely different entities. Social Workers are professionals who are supposed to receive schooling on psychology, sociology, politics, education, law and various other certifications that qualify them to help in matters of bettering a community. SJW is a term that should be reserved solely for the more radical people who claim to be striving for social justice/equality but are generally more of what PhileeD calls a professional victim, and are often hypocrites.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MissRo wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:53 pm It's shameful and embarrassing for me to admit this, but I spend anywhere from $1000 to $1200 a year just to keep my hair relaxed. I can't stand to look at myself in the mirror when it starts getting nappy.

It's hard to understand what it's like to be a visible minority unless you've lived the life.
I can't claim to truly understand what it's like to be a minority, not being one myself. All I can do as a person is empathize with them as human beings, try to understand their history and points of view, and sympathize by connecting it to similar life experiences of my own experiences of bullying or lack of social acceptance in my community, and try to not be an ass about how I behave. How successful I am there I can't say, I can only leave that up to everyone else to determine. But one of the positives about the human condition is that even if you aren't of a certain group, you can empathize with that group. People didn't need to be the right race or gender to be horrified by the Rwanda genocides in the mid 90s, the plight of citizens (especially women) in many Middle Eastern cultures, etc. People can and do care about other people without literally being of that group.

Like I said, I'm trying not to be an ass and I don't know how well I'm succeeding. When in doubt, I fall back on the sage Elvis' bit of wisdom of "Do what feels right as long as you don't hurt nobody".

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And in other news, I asked for clarification as to why I was banned, and tried to be as polite about it as possible. I wasn't trying to make any accusations, just asking for clarification about why the ban happened so I could avoid future bans.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?80 ... recent-ban

Said thread is closed now.