Feminists FURIOUS That Sonic Movie Did Well Proving Gamers Right And Birds Of Prey Flopped SPOILERS

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Spectrum

Feminists FURIOUS That Sonic Movie Did Well Proving Gamers Right And Birds Of Prey Flopped SPOILERS

Post by Spectrum »

Is the horse dead yet? Dunno. Fun to still beat on it.

More of what we've been saying in a funnier way. (Timcast IRL)
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Feminists FURIOUS That Sonic Movie Did Well Proving Gamers Right And Birds Of Prey Flopped SPOILERS

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Well, that's just silly. Birds of Prey did badly more because it's a DCEU film, and they choose to feature the Birds of Prey, an obscure team, in the title despite them not existing until near the end of the film.

I haven't seen Sonic , so I can't comment on its merits or faults.
squirrelly-sama

Re: Feminists FURIOUS That Sonic Movie Did Well Proving Gamers Right And Birds Of Prey Flopped SPOILERS

Post by squirrelly-sama »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:53 am Well, that's just silly. Birds of Prey did badly more because it's a DCEU film, and they choose to feature the Birds of Prey, an obscure team, in the title despite them not existing until near the end of the film.

I haven't seen Sonic , so I can't comment on its merits or faults.
Birds of Prey failed because it looked like Suicide Squad 2.0.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

First, let me be clear that Birds of Prey (and the Fabulous Emancipation of Harley Quinn) under-performed for WB; initial social media buzz about the film, along with Margot Robbie's career being "hot" right now, led to studio expectations of 40-45 million opening, rather than $33 million, so that's roughly 25% off. BUT-Warner Bros. kept the budget under control, so the movie cost about half what SHAZAM! did (though marketing is a greater chunk of the cost), while making two-thirds as much.

Everyone I know who has seen the movie all say Margot Robbie nails Harley Quinn again, the action sequences are really well executed (though very different than typical superhero film fight scenes), and the pacing is pretty tight. Ethan McGregor apparently gives a suitably creepy and menacing performance as Black Mask. HOWEVER...

The movie shouldn't have been R-rated. Nuh-UH, full stop no. Yes, Deadpool I&II and Logan pulled that off, but Harley Quinn's fans skew female and younger, and the movie got the R because of excessive foul language and a few scenes of genuinely disturbing violence. The Deadpool movies were over-the-top cartoon hyperviolence and the last Wolverine film was a dystopic, adult Western, with a character who has a heavily male fan base (though obviously women do turn out for Hugh Jackman).

And yeah, I know-Joker, but that's lightning in a bottle and a WHOLE different kind of cinema.

The title is a complete miss-it's Harley's movie, the BOP never appeared in the DCEU before,and these AREN'T the Birds from the comics anyway; no body except Harley is in any kind of costume, just street clothes and workout gear; the earliest trailers lacked any kind of focus except "Harley's broken up with Mr. J and mad no one's taking her seriously", which played into inciting a backlash from the whole anti-SJW crowd; and finally, it is a spin-off of Suicide Squad, which made good bank but got really negative word-of-mouth.

Still, it will likely break even overall, and even make some cash for WB once it goes to DVD and streaming. Since the audience who went give it generally good reviews, it sets up the relaunched James Gunn-directed Suicide Squad to be successful, so there's that as well.

Just my take

All my best.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:58 amBirds of Prey failed because it looked like Suicide Squad 2.0.
Eh, i think it transcended the Suicide Squad setup. That said, depending on who you talked to, either there were too many action scenes, or too many attempts to characterize them as feminist icons.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 pm Is the horse dead yet? Dunno. Fun to still beat on it.

More of what we've been saying in a funnier way. (Timcast IRL)
TWENTY-SEVEN minutes? Man, what is it with YouTube videos and lack of editing? I don't have time to watch something that long.