Tactical combat

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
digitalronin

Tactical combat

Post by digitalronin »

I'm running MnM for a group who normally play D&D and Pathfinder. They like tactical combat with miniature and opportunity attacks. Does anyone have experience or guidance doing this with MnM?

I was looking over my old copy of MnM 1e; it has 5ft square movement as part of the rule set.
Woodclaw

Re: Tactical combat

Post by Woodclaw »

1st edition was very close to the general d20 in terms of combat rules. Given that I would advise against using the classic tactical map and AoO, because they work very poorly with stuff like flight, teleportation and super-speed.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Eh, I think they can work if you scale them back with an argument that the speeds listed are for an all-out run versus combat, where you have to do a lot more maneuvering and dodging. So instead of speeds doubling, in combat, maybe they only multiply. Speed 10 would still have you able to traverse 300 feet with a Move action, but it's a lot more tenable than 4 miles.
digitalronin

Post by digitalronin »

Thanks for the tips, I'll use the opportunity attack rules from 2e. As for movement, I'm going to take my queue from 1e.

MOVEMENT: Character's base ground tactical speed is 30ft, speed increases this by 5ft per rank. Other movement powers grant 5ft tactical movement per rank. As a Move action players can move their tactical speed, as a full action that can move double that. Also a full action a character can Sprint 120ft ( or full speed based on power) but are Vulnerable (halving their active defenses).
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

tactical combat is hard in MnM, it requires a lot of house ruling to be satisfying imo.

As an idea tactical "instant" movement speed, the distance you can "move" without a move action can be something like 5 feet. like a quick hop or dodge and allows you to reach people within that tiny gap without needing to waste a move action. I'm using 5 feet since that's the default range most characters have and is such a small increment that it usually can't be used to move out of what is generally used to determine cell size (if playing on a grid). I'd say each rank of movement can boost this by 5 more feet.

some custom advantages I use for tactical characters are

Tactical Maneuvering: Spend an HP to allow an ally to share your turn order. It gives no additional actions, but allows the other character to move earlier which can facilitate surprise attacks or team attacks.

Distract: When performing a feint, rather than making the opponent vulnerable they instead suffer a penalty to their accuracy reducing it a proportional amount. (Vulnerable to Halved and Defensless to Nulled).
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I do like to use a rough map as generally mooks and minions don't have excessive movement powers. Maybe it is a pl level issue as high pl characters seem to be able to move wherever whenever.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.