Hello again from JoshuaDunlow

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
MisterB

Re: Hello again from JoshuaDunlow

Post by MisterB »

I lost my computer and everything on it. Movies, games, pdfs.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MisterB wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 pm I lost my computer and everything on it. Movies, games, pdfs.
No backups sucks.
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:56 pm
MisterB wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:35 pm I lost my computer and everything on it. Movies, games, pdfs.
No backups sucks.
I have some of my PDFs on Google drive, thankfully
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MisterB wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:24 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:56 pm
No backups sucks.
I have some of my PDFs on Google drive, thankfully
And most of the services that offer PDFs have re-download capability, so there's that. And, of course, there are alternate sources that are legally grey in cases of owning the PDF, but not having a ready place to download it.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

MisterB wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:07 am Well as if things couldn't get any worse, after speaking with the person who was storing my computer. He fell behind on payments and the contents of the storage were auctioned off. I'm seriously upset. And don't know what I will do now. I wish he had told me I would have tried to help keep it going. So now I'm without back PC. And all I wanted to do was to get back to modding Skyrim, it was one of the few things that helped with my depression.

I'm just totally devestated...he said he would pay me back but he's in debt like I. Pretty sure they don't make my PC anymore.
What?! Is that even legal?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

Woodclaw wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm

I have no clue...
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

MisterB wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:35 pm

I have no clue...
I'm not a lawyer, but probably. The general rule is that the storage unit has to be over 90 days overdue without contact from the person owning the storage locker (the rules get more complicated, but they basically have to show that the owner of the storage locker has no plan to pay, but if they send notices to the owner which are ignored entirely, not uncommon with bills that can't be paid, they can often proceed assuming that it's abandoned). This looks to depend on your state's laws as to how the process works. In some states, the owner of the unit is legally entitled to the sale price of the unit in excess of what they owe, but they have to assert that right, and it's only for sale price of the unit, not for the value of the contents.

As regards them auctioning off your stuff, you basically placed your items in your friend's custody. He's the one liable, who you could probably take into small claim's court if it came down to it. It's little different than if you lent your truck to your friend, and he somehow rendered it unable to be recovered (wreck, towing, etc), although there, at least, they would have hopefully noted your name on the title and given you a chance to recover it.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:56 pm
MisterB wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:35 pm

I have no clue...
I'm not a lawyer, but probably. The general rule is that the storage unit has to be over 90 days overdue without contact from the person owning the storage locker (the rules get more complicated, but they basically have to show that the owner of the storage locker has no plan to pay, but if they send notices to the owner which are ignored entirely, not uncommon with bills that can't be paid, they can often proceed assuming that it's abandoned). This looks to depend on your state's laws as to how the process works. In some states, the owner of the unit is legally entitled to the sale price of the unit in excess of what they owe, but they have to assert that right, and it's only for sale price of the unit, not for the value of the contents.

As regards them auctioning off your stuff, you basically placed your items in your friend's custody. He's the one liable, who you could probably take into small claim's court if it came down to it. It's little different than if you lent your truck to your friend, and he somehow rendered it unable to be recovered (wreck, towing, etc), although there, at least, they would have hopefully noted your name on the title and given you a chance to recover it.
This is good, but from Josh's first post it seemed that this guy sold the storage to repay his own debts, which is tantamount to theft.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Get well soon.. Sorry to hear real life is getting in the way of the important stuff.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.