batman is the best...

If you can't find a forum for it, talk about it here.
Poodle

batman is the best...

Post by Poodle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 am

I recently watched a video talking about the best fighters in the DC universe.
The creator claimed that Batman had mastered every martial art ever and was a better fighter than anyone else in the world?

It seems like there are a lot of amazing fighters, and also that Batman has had his ass handed to him occasionally.
Am I wrong?
I guess he gets brownie points for doing it all dressed as a big bat in a cape.
Last edited by Poodle on Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

Ares
Site Admin

Re: batman is the best...

Post by Ares » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:20 am

It depends on the writer.

It's similar to how some writers like Morrison and Loeb will treat Superman as the single most powerful character in DC, when you've got Captain Marvel, Captain Atom, Dr. Fate, Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Power Girl, Mary Marvel, Icon, Orion, Hal Jordan, Kyle Rayner, Guy Gardner, John Stewart, Alan Scott, and other characters who are arguably roughly as powerful as Superman, some arguably more powerful.

Batman is frequently considered the "Superman" of the normal humans, when the only thing he should be #1 at is being the World's Greatest Detective. The greatest fighters in the DCU include people like Richard Dragon, the Bronze Tiger, Lady Shiva and Cassandra Cain. Richard and Ben have wins over Bruce (or at least Bruce found Richard's defenses so good he gave up attacking him), while Shiva and Cassandra have stalemated Bruce. But some writers feel that Bruce is the best hand-to-hand fighter on Earth with some people maybe being his equals sometimes.

Honestly, my preference is more that Bruce is a "Jack of All Trades" save for his Detective skills, and that his real effective comes from being highly skilled in a wide range of skills as opposed to people who have absolute mastery over a few skills. To my mind he's every bit as smart as someone like Lex Luthor or Tony Stark, but he used that brain power to amass a lot of skills rather than focus just on scientific skills. If Bruce tried to build a suit of armor that could do everything Tony's Iron Man armor can, it would take Bruce several weeks where it would take Tony a couple of days, and Bruce's armor would be three or four times bulkier than Tony's, and it would likely still under-perform compared to Tony's suit.

But Bruce while Bruce can't match Tony's scientific skills, he's smart enough that he can follow any scientific explanation Tony could give without any trouble. He's just not the technically inventive genius Tony is. But Bruce is also in peak physical shape, is a master martial artist, expert in stealth, master tactician, world class detective, etc.

My preference would be that Bruce isn't as good as people who are "World Class" in their skills. Nightwing and Catwoman are better acrobats and slightly faster than him. Bane, even without Venom, is slightly stronger than him. Mr. Miracle is a superior escape artist. The first Batgirl is a superior computers expert. Dragon, Shiva and Tiger are better fighters. Nightwing's a better leader. Blue Beetle's a better gadgeteer. But if these people are all 10's in their respective area of expertise, then Bruce is an 8 or a 9 in that skill. Bruce is basically so skilled across the board that he's normally better than most people he comes across. And when he does find himself competing with someone who is better than him at something, he doesn't try to one-up them. Instead, he'll try to change the rules of the engagement so that he can bring his other skills to play, basically forcing them to fight the battle on his terms where they can't make the best use of their abilities.

Then again, Bruce being contingency man who can beat anyone with enough prep-time was old even after Morrison introduced the idea. Even Miller's Dark Knight fight with Superman made it clear that it took Bruce years of prep for a fight that he only technically won due to Clark being weakened and not really taking the fight seriously.

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:58 am

Betty's good with computers?

I remember a discussion where a friend of mine described Batman as the second best in the DCU. Dick's a better acrobat, Scott's a better escape artist, Ollie's a better archer, Floyd's a better marksman, Sherlock's a better detective (and still alive as on 1984), Selina's better at second story work, Shiva's a better fighter, etc. etc. But Bruce is the second best...

saint_matthew

Post by saint_matthew » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:39 am

Ken wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:58 am
Betty's good with computers?

I remember a discussion where a friend of mine described Batman as the second best in the DCU. Dick's a better acrobat, Scott's a better escape artist, Ollie's a better archer, Floyd's a better marksman, Sherlock's a better detective (and still alive as on 1984), Selina's better at second story work, Shiva's a better fighter, etc. etc. But Bruce is the second best...
Time Drake was a better detective to the point that Ra's stopped calling Bruce "The Detective" & started calling Tim by that name.

Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Personally, the only category where I usually put Batman at the absolute top of the game is forensics and investigations (with only Question really coming any close thanks to weaponized paranoia). In many other fields, he's usually within the top ten, but not in each and every one. For example, I can see Bruce having studies chemistry and physics as functional support to forensic analysis, but I don't think he should even come close to a dedicated scientist, like Ted Kord.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

Poodle

Post by Poodle » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:00 am

If he is so amazing, why is Gotham such a major sh*thole, Sociology, psychology, urban planning, etc... You would think such a supersmart guy would work out that what he is doing doesn't seem to be working.
Heck, maybe he would achieve more if he became mayor.

I acknowledge that is a whole different conversation about superhero tropes.

I do acknowledge that I always thought he was a little silly.
"You should call yourself normal man who dresses as a bat" to quote HISHE
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -Albert Einstein

Arsenal
Flicker
Manchester Merriweather

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 am

Generally speaking, Gotham is portrayed as being much better than it was prior to Batman's involvement. He did a lot of work to take down organized crime, deal with corrupt politicians and a corrupt police force. And he deals with all of the super criminals that normal cops would be unable to deal with. This does vary based on setting and presentation, but generally speaking Gotham has gone from a place overrun with crime and corruption to a place basically no worse than Marvel's New York.