PG-13?

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.
Miracle

PG-13?

Post by Miracle »

As you've said, no graphic sexual content, gore or profanity. And I'm not looking to toe the line in defiance. But how far are we allowed to go without hitting the wall? Can you provide some comics (since this is mainly a superhero board) or comic based shows/movies for reference?
Ares
Site Admin

Re: PG-13?

Post by Ares »

I'll probably add further clarification to the rules, but for now I'd say that in terms of violence/gore, I'd say that if you're posting something on the level of the kind of hyper violence you'd see in the more extreme Invincible fights or anything Garth Ennis has put out, you've probably gone too far. Likewise, no outright sex or nudity, but fanservice images aren't immediately objectionable so long as it's limited to a few per page. If a thread becomes nothing but fanservice, then it'll probably get closed down. If you're still uncertain about any points, just let me know and I'll clarify as best I can.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

My rule of thumb is basically "could this be shown on network television or basic cable?"

Not the most objective of standards and with a lot of wiggle-room due to cultural differences. Europe is much more comfortable with nudity than Americans, but very violence adverse. Americans are the opposite. But, for the most part, it seems to work as a rule of thumb for me.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Yeah, I figured somewhere around the televisions shows and movies. Comics can get much more than PG-13
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote:My rule of thumb is basically "could this be shown on network television or basic cable?"

Not the most objective of standards and with a lot of wiggle-room due to cultural differences. Europe is much more comfortable with nudity than Americans, but very violence adverse. Americans are the opposite. But, for the most part, it seems to work as a rule of thumb for me.
That's a pretty good general guideline.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

"Watchmen" would work, but "Faust" would be completely inappropriate.

*If you aren't familiar with the indie comic Faust feel free to look it up, but it is very, very NSFW*
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

I know it's anathema around some comic book circles, but how does the New 52 era of DC stack to PG-13?
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Miracle wrote:I know it's anathema around some comic book circles, but how does the New 52 era of DC stack to PG-13?
I can't claim to have read every issue during the run, but I'd say they stuck to a PG-13 generally with a "soft" R at the most in some of the more "edgy" titles, but mostly due to blood and gore, not sexual imagery.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.