Spammers ahoy

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.
kirinke

Re: Spammers ahoy

Post by kirinke »

Don't feed spammers. Kill them. :evil:
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Okay, I'm going to look into what can be done about these spammers, because it seems like we're averaging at least one or two new spammers a week. That's just not fair to anyone. Everyone keep reporting them as you find them until I get this sorted.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Just to check, do you want us to PM you in the midst of spates too? On one hand, it's more likely to hit your email. On the other hand, that could get annoying. Or, if you subscribe to this topic, we can just make a note?
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

PMed you about the same thing myself... that can get really annoying for your inbox if we report them all, if multiple people report multiple times...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Just hitting the "Report" button on a spam post/topic should be sufficient. I generally try to check in here once or twice a day, it's just the last couple of weeks have been very busy exceptions.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
jcjec

Post by jcjec »

I will give you credit, Ares. With the exception of Nutsacks (or whatever those letters were supposed to spell), I haven't seen most of the spam, and I check here pretty regularly, so kudos to you.
Jim C.

I know that into every life a little rain must fall,
but why do we have to live in the flood plains?
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, this kind of thing can be a nuisance, especially if you're checking for new threads. I remember this is why Green Ronin actually dropped their phpBB site- because their mods were more "guys who work at GR who don't actually have time to do things on the forum" (which produces some... negative effects), which left them incapable of dealing with spammers. So they instead got a new forum... which was a complete piece of junk. It didn't have Spammer issues, of course, but it had random-ass bugs (sending you to the Front Page for absolutely no reason, weird link features, no "Someone posted- please review your post" option, and more :).
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Welcome to the joys of owning a forum. ;)

We do appreciate your efforts though getting a couple of mods whose sole purpose is to combat spam might be wise.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

There were also some issues with "big fish in a small pond" egos amongst the volunteer Moderators. But that's a wholly separate issue that I promised myself I was done talking about...
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

A list of everyone with zero posts and a suspicious link

JamesWek
AnabellDon
Randelllben
juinsotoplenie
Sepdrelry
DebbieOa
StepzenNek
manuelabh1
ArubnaOa
leroybi1
DahbnaOa
ArrietosOa
Progonlok
JerryHAN
dorewokacet64
Donaldsmiff
AmmarioDon
altaup4
Antwanced
Davidnip
EugeneBig
Patrickles
Briansnins
TrumanFaura
LanceNet
BiJeano
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

kirinke wrote:Don't feed spammers. Kill them. :evil:
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Whoever reported the spam in my build thread... thanks !
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Maybe it's time to make registration harder? More steps?

Or require X number of posts before you can post links?
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Bladewind wrote:Whoever reported the spam in my build thread... thanks !
No probz. I was like, "hey, that's a weird, vague comment. It sounds fake". Then I checked his name out, and found a link to some random sales site. So I reported it.

As for making Registration harder, I'm not sure. One or two spammers a week can be taken care of by a single mod pretty easily. Maybe some kind of thing where they have to e-mail Ares first, or authenticate via e-mail or something would work, too. I'm not sure how phpBB works, though...

The "X number of posts to post links" thing might work, but it seems the spammers are actually putting links in their sigs or just when you click on their names, you can see it under their personal information.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Yeah, I think don't make it harder on those innocently posting or wanting to post, go after the spammers directly!

Besides blocking and deleting the spammers, maybe administration could send them an email to quit, never return here and that they will be reported (to whom?) if they do so again?