Spammers ahoy

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.
Ken

Re: Spammers ahoy

Post by Ken »

AlbertPeter and the "brasilien trikot" and related posts in the Gaming Table. It may be in German; it's still spam.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

LutherNoyes in the Game room.
Ken

Post by Ken »

MilesYeates in the game room.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

ReginaWebster in the Settings forum and VincentRuskin in the Game Room.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

Ares wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 am I had hoped the safety measures already in place would help keep spammers at a minimum, but there have been enough that made it in that I'll have to consider upping the security. Anyone that is caught spamming does have their profile banned and posts deleted. Until I can get a better defense in place, just keep notifying me of said spammers and I will make them go away.
A site I frequent had a similar issue with spammers, they decided to have the 1st post anyone does require mod approval and none of their posts show until they get that first approval but after that it didn't require any approvals. It seems to have worked since spam posts are rather obvious and none of them stay behind to check if their posts made it through.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Eyeh, except there's several common tricks for that. One can be seen on the Ronin Army boards fairly often where a new post shows up that seemingly looks perfectly legit, but actually turns out to be someone else's post from earlier in the thread, sometimes with some mechanical paraphrasing.

Recent case on the site which will probably disappear eventually when Fildrigar catches on.
squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:40 am Eyeh, except there's several common tricks for that. One can be seen on the Ronin Army boards fairly often where a new post shows up that seemingly looks perfectly legit, but actually turns out to be someone else's post from earlier in the thread, sometimes with some mechanical paraphrasing.

Recent case on the site which will probably disappear eventually when Fildrigar catches on.
I can't access the site. But generally the method I referred to was one to stop spam advertisers which was the main issue on the site that was using the method.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

squirrelly-sama wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:51 am I can't access the site. But generally the method I referred to was one to stop spam advertisers which was the main issue on the site that was using the method.
If you are still having trouble accessing the RA site, you could try the suggestion below which worked for Kreuz.
05-02-2019, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by kenseido View Post

User Kreuzritter is unable to access the forum still. It is the same as the timeout error he and I both posted about before the upgrade. I know several people who experienced the same error immediately after the upgrade, including myself. Kreuzritter is the only one who is still experiencing it that I know of. If you have the time, I could put you in touch with him so you can try and troubleshoot this issue. For everyone I know, the error is IP dependent. Every body on the same Internet connection times out, e.g. my laptop and desktop times out even if only the desktop generates the error initially. So does my phone when on Wi-Fi, but when I disable W-Fi on my phone it connects.

I can also enable my VPN to gain access again, but if the error occurs, I have to connect to a different proxy to get back in.

I can tell you when it happened to me one time, I did some basic troubleshooting and ran a tracert that actually timed out a few hops before your server. The error would occur for me trying to post and getting the front page bug and tried to us the back option in the browser. I am also happy to help

Have Kreuzritter email his IP address to webmaster@greenronin.com with "forum access issues" in the subject line.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

*finishes cleaning up the dust of the last batch of insurgents*
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Ted Ann in Gaming Chatter.
Ken

Post by Ken »

And now they're at the Gaming Table.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Latest infestation should be taken care of.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Moses Duncan in Character Sheets.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Do I even need to point this one out...?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I let Ares know. Fortunately, they're pretty much limited to one forum.