General Forum Updates and Questions for All Members

Questions or concerns about the site? Have a suggestion, comment or critique? Make them known here.
Ares
Site Admin

General Forum Updates and Questions for All Members

Post by Ares » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:14 am

Hey folks, hope everyone who is in a position to enjoy the US' Labor Day will get to do so today. I've been around less frequently due to moving to a new location, dealing with internet issues and ramping up work on my own personal projects. I plan on trying to be more active on the board from here on out, want to discuss a few changes to the site, some mandatory, some optional.

On the mandatory side, the site will be undergoing a system update sometime this week. I'll give advanced notice and try to do it sometime at low traffic, but the site might be down for a little while during this time. Do not panic.

On the optional side, there are a couple of things I'm thinking of implementing, and would like some feedback from everyone

First and foremost, I will finally look into adding Tables and Spoiler Codes to the forums in an attempt to bring this place up to the 21st century. Those were the two updates most voted on by far.

Secondly, I will look into potentially creating a custom banner for the site to visually spruce up the place. Nothing necessary, just maybe time to update the look of the place.

Third and finally, I'm debating the idea of implementing advertisements on the site.

Of the optional ones, the advertisement one requires the most actual debating. I don't make that suggestion lightly, as I know advertisements have the potential to be a nuisance on websites, and I absolutely wouldn't want to turn this into a website like CBR where the ads will literally slow down your computer. The only thing I'm really considering is Google Adsense since there are apparently already folks who have figured out how to combine it with these types of forums.

I didn't put these forums up to make money, I made it to be a little place for our community to continue, and to potentially grow. And if having ads on the site will make this community less fun to be around, then it's not worth having. On the other hand, if the ads can displace some or all of the annual cost of hosting the site, then they might be worth it. But if that's considered "selling out" and will cost us members, then that's the cost I can't afford.

I decided not to make a poll about this, but please chime in with any thoughts or concerns you've got, whether you would be for or against advertisements here, or if there's any other changes or issues you'd like to bring up, please do so below. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

mrdent12

Re: General Forum Updates and Questions for All Members

Post by mrdent12 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:39 am

Running boards like this cost money, so while I am no fan of ads short of membership or donations(which really don't work out too well in the long run not to mention being unreliable) if ads that don't make these forums unusable or a pain is what is required I get it. Greenronin has their books and such to fall back on. As best I can tell, there is no company behind these forums.

As for the forum upgrades, I also understand the need for those as well. While I am the sort who still uses a flip phone for everything except work because it does its job as a phone with reliability and a great battery life, that isn't a large portion of the world anymore. The world is moving to having more features and such. Community can only keep together so long without upgrading. My only suggestion/thoughts would be to not go the roninarmy.com route and make so massive of changes it breaks the site. The first wave of defections from that site was for social reasons. The second one that pretty much put it on life support was the upgrades they made. Last time I tried to use it for anything except copying character sheets it took me a good 10 minutes for a single post.

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:46 am

I get that running this place has costs, so I'd have no problems with adds as long as they don't cause any kind of serious problems of the board's operations (though it sounds like you're already keeping an eye out for such problems, so I doubt they'll actually be any).

Also, I like the idea of a custom banner for here. Give it a bit more "personality".

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:19 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and your understanding. I've had a couple of posters offer to donate funds to the site, but I'd much rather take money from Google than anyone here. And the nice thing is that if the ads become a problem, I can always just get rid of them. I'm committed to this place not having the issues GR has, either from an unreasonable staff or an unresponsive site. The nice thing about phpbb is that there's a community that exists to help implement the updates I'm looking for, and hopefully this will just be a brief period where we spruce up this place.

Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:32 am

I think it's alright if you use ads to mitigate some of the costs, I'll even Do My Part(tm) and turn off adblock for the site. Your proposed forum upgrades sound good in my book as well.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
I'm the GM of The New Mythos, and play more characters then I probably should.

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:10 am

I'm fine with ads. Google tends to be good about not allowing exploitative Javascript, pop-under, etc ads.

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Holding a contest for a banner ad sounds like a fun idea. We certainly have a lot of awesome artists around here. Great way to have some bragging rights too :)

As far as ads go, my major concerns have already been hit in the posts above. I keep hearing about how Goggle is demonetizing so much YouTube and wonder if we're going to pass muster.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:29 pm

I think we've got several advantages over places like YouTube or TV Tropes, the big one being our size.

Comparatively speaking, we're a single drop of water compared to the oceans that are YouTube and TV Tropes. Even compared to RPG.net we're pretty small. YouTube and TV Tropes have so many people creating content that they were going to do something to upset Google just by the sheer volume of folks involved. We've got a better chance of any potentially offensive material flying under the radar just by dint of how many people we have here.

We're also fairly tame compared to other sites, partially be design. The general rule is to keep this place PG-13, so most graphic content is heavily censored, as is excessive swearing, and we don't really endorse anything objectionable here.

Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:49 am

Just to clarify, the board was down for a couple of ours recently was NOT due to any attempts to update the site, but seem to have been a hiccup over on DotEasy, which hosts the site. I'll give everyone a heads up before I make any updates to the site.

Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:29 pm

Ares wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:49 am
Just to clarify, the board was down for a couple of ours recently was NOT due to any attempts to update the site, but seem to have been a hiccup over on DotEasy, which hosts the site. I'll give everyone a heads up before I make any updates to the site.
I figured as much, wasn't worried about it.

squirrelly-sama

Post by squirrelly-sama » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:25 am

I still say Embeds should be one of the things added along with Spoilers and Tables.