What not to do, Part 1

Where we Highlight what not to do.
Scots Dragon

What not to do, Part 1

Post by Scots Dragon »

I suppose that once the Thor builds are done, it'd be time to stat up Jack Kirby's ultimate 'nemesis'... because this kinda gets hilarious.

Warning for politics, though the thing that most attracts my attention is the way this particular shitheel, who's a pretty unambiguously racist and sexist and homophobic douchecanoe of the highest order and I can provide evidence of that, decided to respond to the statement that someone like Jack Kirby might not agree with his politics.

For a brief recap of those images, with context;

Vox Day proposes really shitty looking comics line in response to so-called SJW takeovers at DC Comics and Marvel Comics. Not the first time he's tried to position himself as a publisher of far-right alternatives to mainstream literature, by any means, given that he's also the guy behind Castalia House and that one attempt to hijack the Hugo Awards a few years back. He's already pretty universally reviled by the SFF community so figured that the rise in controversy over diversity initiatives in the comic-book industry was a good starting point to try and get in on a different ground floor.

One person points out that comics legend Jack Kirby would hate him. He tries to claim that Jack Kirby would want to work for him because of the SJW takeover, and then many, many people point out that Jack Kirby was pretty famously left-wing and actually did incorporate what were at the time some pretty damn progressive-leaning identity politics into his work. Also that he pretty infamously, and for obvious reasons, hated the far-right. Vox Day is openly antisemitic, incidentally, with various statements on Jewish people having inherently divided loyalties because of Israel or some such nonsense.

After this comes to light, he actually starts trying to backtrack on this and claims that Jack Kirby was actually a terrible artist. And because of the common thread of Jack Kirby beating up Nazis, and people pointing out (correctly) that Vox Day himself would get beaten up for himself being a goddamn neo-Nazi, he claims that he could beat Jack Kirby in a fight. Yes. Really.

Like, there's sad, and there's Vox Day sad. If I were a right-winger I'd be really embarassed to be associated with his end of the spectrum.

Sort of like how I'm embarassed by the tankies.

In any case, 'cause politics, there's a sexy images tax so...

Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab's Builds! (Deathstroke! The Ringer! Thor Builds!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm For a brief recap of those images, with context;

Vox Day proposes really shitty looking comics line in response to so-called SJW takeovers at DC Comics and Marvel Comics. Not the first time he's tried to position himself as a publisher of far-right alternatives to mainstream literature, by any means, given that he's also the guy behind Castalia House and that one attempt to hijack the Hugo Awards a few years back. He's already pretty universally reviled by the SFF community so figured that the rise in controversy over diversity initiatives in the comic-book industry was a good starting point to try and get in on a different ground floor.

One person points out that comics legend Jack Kirby would hate him. He tries to claim that Jack Kirby would want to work for him because of the SJW takeover, and then many, many people point out that Jack Kirby was pretty famously left-wing and actually did incorporate what were at the time some pretty damn progressive-leaning identity politics into his work. Also that he pretty infamously, and for obvious reasons, hated the far-right. Vox Day is openly antisemitic, incidentally, with various statements on Jewish people having inherently divided loyalties because of Israel or some such nonsense.

After this comes to light, he actually starts trying to backtrack on this and claims that Jack Kirby was actually a terrible artist. And because of the common thread of Jack Kirby beating up Nazis, and people pointing out (correctly) that Vox Day himself would get beaten up for himself being a goddamn neo-Nazi, he claims that he could beat Jack Kirby in a fight. Yes. Really.

Like, there's sad, and there's Vox Day sad. If I were a right-winger I'd be really embarassed to be associated with his end of the spectrum.
As far as I'm concerned I just like to remind myself of two things: according to legend Jack Kirby was the real life inspiration for the personality of Ben Grimm and Roz -- Jack's wife -- was the inspiration for Big Barda. I don't know about you, but to me that sound like the kind of people you don't want to mess with.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Horsenhero

Post by Horsenhero »

Why even bring this douchenozzle into a conversation? Nobody was mentioning him or any of the retarded things he says or imbecilic claims he makes...so why bring it up at all unless you want to spend time on the various ridiculous straw man arguments surrounding it. This isn't the time or place for this type of "SJW" debate and I find the motivation for bringing it up out of the blue...if not suspect...then ill-considered at best.

I have observed over the years you like to take any opportunity to inject your politics/social views/sexual orientation/etc, etc into ANY comic or gaming discussion, but do you think you could give it a rest? You went to university. You have a degree or two. You're REALLY, REALLY keen on showing off how educated you are. You have extremely leftist politics. Believe me...we KNOW. Now do you mind dialing it back a notch or ten for those of us who don't think every discussion should descend into a debate of modern social and gender politics?
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

Horsenhero wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:47 pm Why even bring this douchenozzle into a conversation? Nobody was mentioning him or any of the retarded things he says or imbecilic claims he makes...so why bring it up at all unless you want to spend time on the various ridiculous straw man arguments surrounding it. This isn't the time or place for this type of "SJW" debate and I find the motivation for bringing it up out of the blue...if not suspect...then ill-considered at best.

I have observed over the years you like to take any opportunity to inject your politics/social views/sexual orientation/etc, etc into ANY comic or gaming discussion, but do you think you could give it a rest? You went to university. You have a degree or two. You're REALLY, REALLY keen on showing off how educated you are. You have extremely leftist politics. Believe me...we KNOW. Now do you mind dialing it back a notch or ten for those of us who don't think every discussion should descend into a debate of modern social and gender politics?
One thousand times, this.

I mean, if this was even tangentially related to something being discussed in this thread, at all, I could see it. But it's not. It's bringing up this insufferable nonsense out of nowhere because the conversation has to be about social justice in the busiest thread on the forum. It's not like I mind the discussion - laughing at this horseshit is how I spend most of the rest of my leisure time - but in this place, can we please talk about Jab's builds, or at least the issues related to them? Or maybe laugh at Jab's kinks or something? I have to have a little structure in my life, and this isn't helping me compartmentalize.

The more I can keep social justice out of my gaming life, the better. I'm starting a D&D 5E game this weekend, and with the headaches that come along with a new game... well, the host invited a couple neighbors to play. They're a married gay couple, which, well, who cares? But the first thing that I learned about them is that they're HYPER ALERT AND SENSITIVE TO GENDER ISSUES AND WILL OBJECT TO EVERYTHING, and now I'd rather chew my own leg off than DM for this group.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Ah, literally the worst ableist slur you can actually use to the point that reasonable people literally call it 'the R word', and an ignorance of precisely why certain people have a tendency to be hyper-sensitive.

Honestly you're both douchebags and need to grow the fuck up. There was a Jack Kirby build that was built here a couple of months ago because it was timed with Jack Kirby's birthday and I figured joking about this guy turning up in the past few days to say he could beat Jack Kirby in a fight was funny, even irrespective of the politics involved.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'd prefer to see that topic put in the "Comics" forum, rather than my build thread, yes. It's REALLY ANNOYING to have random stuff like that divert everything, especially after I JUST made a comment about "No Politics" or whatever, and even made a point begging people to wait to comment about JaneThor :). Especially after I wake up to realize that a ton of comments were just left about Thor, and I LOVE it when people find whatever I'm working on/talking about worthy enough to produce real conversation.

I'm gonna ask Ares to place this last bunch of stuff elsewhere. Keep it civil.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Scots Dragon wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:17 pm Honestly you're both douchebags and need to grow the fuck up.
That's enough of that. There is a lot of leeway about what is allowed on this forum. Directly insulting posters is not one of them. We almost made it to the one-year mark without me having to temp-ban someone, but congratulations. You get to be the first. Take some time off and come back when you can be civil.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Jab's Builds! (Deathstroke! The Ringer! Thor Builds!)

Post by Ares »

Everyone else - I'm going to be clearing up some of the mess here. Bear with me. This particular conversation is over.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.