'Wire' movement

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

'Wire' movement

Post by Miracle »

Specifically the 'I can bounce off of anything with a surface, no matter how small or light' type. Should this be a Super Movement or is it too broad for 2 points?
Shock

Re: 'Wire' movement

Post by Shock »

I'd call it a combination of Leaping and Acrobatics. Or even a limited form of Flight
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Athletics and Acrobatics, at suitably high ranks and paired with Skill Mastery and similar Advantages will go a very long way to simulating most wuxia-style Wire Fu.

A few ranks of Density Reduction will model the "standing on a bamboo reed" trope and "Water Walking" covers the, well, walking on water.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I would probably go with Flight, since most wuxia movement resembles flying anyway, but with a limit that you must end your movement on a surface that can support your weight, as well as requiring an Athletics or Acrobatics check to use the ability each time.

Then perhaps have a custom Supermovement that goes as follows:

Weight Control: 2 points per rank.
1 - Most solid matter will support your weight, including telephone wires, thin tree branches and so on. Penalties for maintaining balance on such surfaces are halved.
2 - Most liquids will support your weight, allowing you to move on water. You no longer need to make checks to maintain balance on solid surfaces.
3 - You can use implausibly small things like leaves blowing in the wind, clouds, drops of water, bullets or.arrows shot at you, etc.

You might need some concentration simulating limit or flaw with this power, such as Activation.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I'd also say that the third level of Weight Control effectively functions as the Safe Fall movement ability. Then if you purchase Wall Crawling, you can basically end your turn clinging to the side of walls, the underside of trees, and so forth
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Ares, that's something I hadn't thought about.While I don't blame them for making cool effects expensive, they're still expensive on some character points budgets.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I understand, a lot of wuxia builds can wind up being expensive because you need the character to be highly accurate, have a variety of techniques, have decent saves, have the high movement abilities, it all adds up very quickly.

The point break down for my suggested method would probably look something like this:

"Wuxia Cloud Walking" Flight: 5
- Subtle (1)
- Limit: Must end each turn on a surface that can support your weight.
- Check Required: Acrobatics (-5)

Total Cost: 1 point.

"Wuxia Light Foot" Super Movement
- 3 Ranks of Weight Control (No balance check required, objects as small as leaves and feathers support your weight, Safe Fall movement built in)
- 2 Ranks of Wall Crawling
- Check Required: Acrobatics (-5)

Total cost: 5 points

Final cost: 6 points.

This gives you a wuxia flight of about 60 miles per hour. To up it to something that could keep pace with a modern helicopter, raise it to 7 for a total cost of 8 points. You'd need to have a fairly high Acrobatics to use it consistently, but it should be fairly easy to buy up an Acrobatics total in the 12 to 15 range, depending on power level.

MetaShaman

Post by MetaShaman »

If we're talking 3e the Martial Powers section of the Power Profiles has some cool wuxia martial arts movement powers.

Feather Step
You can stand on surfaces that normally would not support your weight, like a thin tree branch, sheet of paper, or the top of snow, without sinking or damaging the surface, and able to move normally.

Feather Step: Movement 2 (Trackless, Water-walking), Limited to solid surfaces • 2 points

Run up Walls
You can run short distances up or along vertical surfaces
like walls. You can only do so while moving (you cannot
stand still on a vertical surface) and only for one move action, after which you must move to a horizontal surface
or fall. With an Acrobatics check, you can run up a wall, then kick off and flip over and behind a pursuer to catch
them by surprise. Treat this like a use of Agile Feint (Hero’s Handbook, page 79).

Run Up Walls: Movement 2 (Wall-crawling), Limited to one move action, Limited to while moving • 1 point.

Wire-Fu
You have superhuman leaping and acrobatic abilities, like
the “wire work” of characters in martial arts films. Typically this power is fairly automatic, but you might apply the Acrobatics Check Required modifier to lessen its cost.

Wire-Fu: Leaping • 1 point per rank.

Doing things like jumping from wall to wall would probably be best systemized with the Wallcrawling movement power at two ranks, and the Leaping power at 2 or 3 ranks for optimal distance, maybe 4 ranks if you are really worried about distance between two parallel buildings.

All three of the above listed powers would give you pretty optimal wire-fu capabilities altogether.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Flight 1-2 (Limited to While Using Actual Surfaces For Propulsion/Standing)

This lets you act like a Flier, but requires actual surfaces to "stand" on. And it's pretty cheap (since Flying would automatically be better anyways).