2E M&M - Improved Grab and multiple actions

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
FuzzyBoots

2E M&M - Improved Grab and multiple actions

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I know we must have debated this one to death back on the old boards, but I'm not finding the references. Improved Grab lets you establish a grapple alongside an unarmed attack. Does one also get to do damage, throw, or pin the subject if you win the grapple check? The rules are a bit ambiguous about it.
badpenny

Re: 2E M&M - Improved Grab and multiple actions

Post by badpenny »

The Improved Grab feat doesn't let you apply a grapple check result when you start the grapple; you are just in a grapple (prevents characters from doing double-damage with attack, grab, damage again, and similar abuses).
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Cinder

Post by Cinder »

I agree with badpenny, but if I am reading this answer right, it seems that Steve Kenson did not.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

I have been using that house rule for so long that I guess I forgot how overpowered it is in the RAW. I highly suggest that the RAW rule not be allowed otherwise a grappler could hit with an attack for regular damage, win a grapple check, start the grapple and deal unarmed damage again (in fact, with Crushing Pin, could deal damage again while pinning an opponent).
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I think that I'm going to move to the idea of it only establishing the grapple in my games. The advantage over the "grapple and do damage" is that the damage is guaranteed with the attack roll rather than being contingent on making both rolls.
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

I thought you could only apply damage with a grab on the same turn you attack was if you had Fast Grab, at least that's how I build my martial grappling characters
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Fast Grab is a 3e term. This thread is about the 2e Feat.

In 3e, Fast Grab only lets you start the Grab. IOW, Fast Grab allows you to combine what would otherwise be two attack checks: one to hit with an unarmed attack and the second to grab. You cannot both do an unarmed attack (inflict damage), Grab, and then inflict more damage in the same round.