Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
L-Space

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by L-Space »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:35 pm Wow, I'd missed this entire topic! Nice work, Macyn!
L-Space wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 pm Special mention goes to the Hajimi No-Ippo anime,as every single cast member could be put onto this list as it's THAT accurate to the material used....
Man, I really need to watch that anime. I've always been a huge fan of boxing characters, but for some reason was never able to catch that show.

Speaking of anime, if you haven't already seen it I recommend Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. While it is over the top at times it does a good job showing a lot of different types of martial arts style. Muay Thai, Jojutsu, Savate, Pencak Silat, etc.
yeah, it's a really fun anime/manga. It basically takings Shonen fighting tropes, and modifies them to fit a cartoony version of a real-world sport, combined with the histories of real boxers, and characters which are meant to directly emulate them. Ippo is an in-boxer who fights like Tyson (who was at his peak when Ippo debuted), while Miyata is a more skilled, fragile out-boxer.
Pretty sure it was your thread where I first heard about it and wanted to watch it. Like I said I've always really liked boxing characters in various media, so the show sounds great. Unfortunately I have yet to find a legit place to stream it online.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow »

L-Space wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:08 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:35 pm Wow, I'd missed this entire topic! Nice work, Macyn!
L-Space wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm
Man, I really need to watch that anime. I've always been a huge fan of boxing characters, but for some reason was never able to catch that show.

Speaking of anime, if you haven't already seen it I recommend Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. While it is over the top at times it does a good job showing a lot of different types of martial arts style. Muay Thai, Jojutsu, Savate, Pencak Silat, etc.
yeah, it's a really fun anime/manga. It basically takings Shonen fighting tropes, and modifies them to fit a cartoony version of a real-world sport, combined with the histories of real boxers, and characters which are meant to directly emulate them. Ippo is an in-boxer who fights like Tyson (who was at his peak when Ippo debuted), while Miyata is a more skilled, fragile out-boxer.
Pretty sure it was your thread where I first heard about it and wanted to watch it. Like I said I've always really liked boxing characters in various media, so the show sounds great. Unfortunately I have yet to find a legit place to stream it online.
Try Crunchyroll or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXfWIUDOUc, as they have the English voices but better res. Hope it helps!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The best Star Wars swordfight is this one. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scImICHU14
Ken

Post by Ken »

Gee. Ben Kenobi can beat a dead guy.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am The best Star Wars swordfight is this one. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scImICHU14
The Kenobi versus Vader fight in Star Wars is the most realistic, being basically just a kenjutsu bout. The Luke versus Vader duel on Cloud City is probably the best blend of verisimilitude and cinematic “wow!” That iconic shot where everything is in silhouette except the glowing sabre blades... Amazing.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Try Crunchyroll or this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgXfWIUDOUc, as they have the English voices but better res. Hope it helps!
I'll have to try out youtube when I get home, Crunchroll was a bust as they only had the third season of it. Thanks for the link.
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

L-Space wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:16 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 pm
I'll have to try out youtube when I get home, Crunchroll was a bust as they only had the third season of it. Thanks for the link.
No prob,bob! :D
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Welcome back to the Gym everybody!Today we talk about a frequently requested Style of fighting involving(to quote Antonio Banderas) "Putting the Pointy end into the other Man."...SWORDFIGHTING!
BRIEF REAL WORLD HISTORY:
Swordsmanship or sword fighting refers to the skills of a swordsman, a person versed in the art of the sword. The term is modern, and as such was mainly used to refer to smallsword fencing, but by extension it can also be applied to any martial art involving the use of a sword. The formation of the English word "swordsman" is parallel to the Latin word gladiator, a term for the professional fighters who fought against each other and a variety of other foes for the entertainment of spectators in the Roman Empire. The word gladiator itself comes from the Latin word gladius, meaning "sword".

The sword in ancient Egypt was known by several names, but most are variations of the words sfet, seft or nakhtui. The earliest bronze swords in the country date back 4000 years. Four types of sword are known to have been used: the ma or boomerang-sword based on the hunting stick, the kat or knife-sword, the khopesh or falchion based on the sickle, and a fourth form of straight longsword. The khopesh was used region-wide and is depicted as early as the Sixth Dynasty (3000 BC). It was thick-backed and weighted with bronze, sometimes even with gold hilts in the case of pharaohs. The blade may be edged on one or both sides, and was made from copper alloy, bronze, iron, or blue steel. The double-edge grip-tongue sword is believed to have been introduced by the Sherden and became widely dispersed throughout the Near East. These swords are of various lengths, and were paired with shields. They had a leaf-shaped blade, and a handle which hollows away at the centre and thickens at each end. Middle Eastern swords became dominant throughout North Africa after the introduction of Islam, after which point swordsmanship in the region becomes that of Arabian or Middle Eastern fencing.

The process of both iron smelting and forging was introduced to Sub-Saharan Africa from the north, thus many African swords were of Egyptian derivation. Among some communities, swords were restricted to royalty or tribal leaders. Forms vary from one area to another, such as the billao of Somalia, boomerang-sword in Niger or the single-edge swords of the Gold Coast. The Abyssinian shotel took the form of a large sickle, like the Egyptian khopesh, with a small 4 inch wooden handle. The edge was on the inside of the blade, which has a mid-rib running along its entire length. Double-edge swords similar to those of Europe and ancient Arabia occurred in some areas such as the takoba and kaskara. Two types of sword existed in Zanzibar: the foot-long shortsword and the standard sword with a blade measuring 3–3.5 feet and a cylindrical pommel. The latter weapon was wielded with both hands like a quarterstaff.

Greece provides the foundation for the widespread use of the sword as a weapon in its own right in the West. The Roman legionaries and other forces of the Roman military, until the 2nd century A.D., used the gladius as a short thrusting sword effectively with the scutum, a type of shield, in battle. Gladiators used a shorter gladius than the military. The spatha was a longer double-edged sword initially used only by Celtic soldiers, later incorporated as auxilia into Roman Cavalry units; however by the 2nd century A.D. the spatha was used throughout much of the Roman Empire. The Empire's legionary soldiers were heavily trained and prided themselves on their disciplinary skills. This probably carried over to their training with weaponry, but we have no Roman manuals of swordsmanship. One translation of Juvenal's poetry by Barten Holyday in 1661 makes note that the Roman trainees learned to fight with the wooden wasters before moving on to the use of sharpened steel. In fact, it is also found that Roman gladiators trained with a wooden sword, which was weighted with lead, against a straw man or a wooden pole known as a palus (an early relative of the later wooden pell).This training would have provided the Roman soldier with a good foundation of skill, to be improved upon from practical experience or further advanced training.

Little is known about early medieval fencing techniques save for what may be concluded from archaeological evidence and artistic depiction (see Viking Age arms and armour). What little has been found, however, shows the use of the sword was limited during the Viking age, especially among the Vikings themselves and other northern Germanic tribes. Here, the spear, axe and shield were prominent weapons, with only wealthy individuals owning swords. These weapons, based on the early Germanic spatha, were made very well. The technique of pattern welding of composite metals, invented in the Roman Empire around the end of the 2nd century A.D., provided some of these northern weapons superior properties in strength and resilience to the iron gladius of early Rome.

As time passed, the spatha evolved into the arming sword, a weapon with a notable cruciform hilt common among knights in the Medieval Age. Some time after this evolution, the earliest known treatises (Fechtbücher) were written, dealing primarily with arming sword and buckler combat. Among these examples is the I.33, the earliest known Fechtbuch. The German school of swordsmanship can trace itself most closely to Johannes Liechtenauer and his students, who later became the German masters of the 15th century, including Sigmund Ringeck, Hans Talhoffer, Peter von Danzig and Paulus Kal. It is possible that the Italian fencing treatise Flos Duellatorum, written by the Italian swordmaster Fiore dei Liberi around 1410, has ties to the German school.[citation needed] During this period of time, the longsword grew out of the arming sword, eventually resulting in a blade comfortably wielded in both hands at once. Armour technology also evolved, leading to the advent of plate armour, and thus swordsmanship was further pressed to meet the demands of killing a very well protected enemy. For much of the early medieval period, the sword continued to remain a symbol of status. During later years, production techniques became more efficient, and so, while the sword remained a privilege, it was not so heavily confined to only the richest individuals, but rather to the richest classes. The military importance of swordsmanship rapidly diminished with the advent of firearms. The last prominent battlefield sword to be used was the backsword. Although it was not a new invention, it managed to outlast other forms of war swords, being used by cavalry units and officers. The power, accuracy, and reliability of firearms continued to improve, however, and soon swords had little place on the battlefield aside from ceremonial purposes. The preferred civilian dueling weapon shifted from the rapier to the faster but shorter smallsword, and eventually shifted totally away from swords to the pistol, following developments in firearm technology. The civilian affair of dueling was banned in most areas, but persisted to some degree regardless of law until well into the 20th century.Famous Fictional Swordsmen have included the Entire Cast from the Soul Calibur games, almost every single character from Bleach, Hector Barbossa is quite a Proficient Swordsman from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Dane Whitman(The Black Knight) and Kenuichio Harada(The Silver Samurai) are rather good swordsmen.

THE STYLES OF SWORDFIGHTING
Primary Styles:
There are generally Five "accepted" Styles of Swordfighting(Honestly there's a LOT more,but I'm just gonna cover five that I think would work for M&M.)These are Historical European Swordsmanship,Japanese Swordsmanship Arts, Chinese, South-East Asian & Pacific Sword Arts (CSEAPSA), Classical Fencing, and Theatrical Sword-Fighting. A TRUE Swordsman(or woman,as your preference fits) will mostly stick to one style,but have been known to change styles in the middle of a fight if they know more than one...

Historical European Swordsmanship
Greece provides the foundation for the widespread use of the sword as a weapon in its own right in the West. The Roman legionaries and other forces of the Roman military, until the 2nd century A.D., used the gladius as a short thrusting sword effectively with the scutum, a type of shield, in battle. Gladiators used a shorter gladius than the military. The spatha was a longer double-edged sword initially used only by Celtic soldiers, later incorporated as auxilia into Roman Cavalry units; however by the 2nd century A.D. the spatha was used throughout much of the Roman Empire. The Empire's legionary soldiers were heavily trained and prided themselves on their disciplinary skills. This probably carried over to their training with weaponry, but we have no Roman manuals of swordsmanship. One translation of Juvenal's poetry by Barten Holyday in 1661 makes note that the Roman trainees learned to fight with the wooden wasters before moving on to the use of sharpened steel. In fact, it is also found that Roman gladiators trained with a wooden sword, which was weighted with lead, against a straw man or a wooden pole known as a palus (an early relative of the later wooden pell).This training would have provided the Roman soldier with a good foundation of skill, to be improved upon from practical experience or further advanced training.

Japanese Swordsmanship Arts
The sword has long held a significance in Japanese culture from the reverence and care that the samurai placed in their weapons. The earliest swords in Japan were straight, based on early Chinese jian. Curved blades became more common at the end of the 8th century, with the importation of the curved forging techniques of that time. The shape was more efficient when fighting from horseback. Japanese swordsmanship is primarily two-handed wherein the front hand pushes down and the back hand pulls up while delivering a basic vertical cut. The samurai often carried two swords, the longer katana and the shorter wakizashi, and these were normally wielded individually, though use of both as a pair did occur.
While earlier tachi were worn with the edge facing down, the later katana was worn with the edge facing upwards. This facilitated a quicker draw.[dubious – discuss] Entire systems have been based on this technique and are known as iaido, iaijutsu, battodo or battojutsu. Because of the danger in training with real swords, practitioners since the 18th century have trained with wooden swords (bokken) or bamboo swords (shinai) while wearing body armour. After the carrying of swords in public became illegal, this resulted in the modern sport of kendo. Some ancient schools still exist along with some more modern schools. Many schools also focus almost exclusively on swordsmanship which grew from the noble families' patronage of certain teachers.

Chinese, South-East Asian & Pacific Sword Arts (CSEAPSA)
Chinese-speakers make a clear distinction between a "sword" (double-edged) and a "knife" (single-edged). In Chinese culture the double-edged sword or jian is considered a master's weapon or gentlemen's weapon, both from the considerable skill required to fight with this weapon and from the fact that commanders of armies favored the jian in order to move easily amongst the troops. It is described in Chinese as the "delicate lady" of weapons, and is traditionally considered the weapon most suitable for women. A single edged sword is referred to as a dao. The jian and dao are among the four main weapons taught in the Chinese martial arts, the others being the staff and spear. The order in which these weapons is taught may vary between schools and styles, but the jian is generally taught last among the four.The earliest Korean swords were straight double-edge blades derived from the Chinese jian. As Korean warfare favoured mounted combat, the curved single-edge sword was found to be more effective from horseback. Joseon's centralised government and the need to fend off frequent foreign invasions were conducive to the development of swordsmanship as a standardised military discipline. Along with other martial systems, forms of swordsmanship were formalised in the military manual Muyejebo (1610) based on Qi Jiguang's Ji Xiao Xin Shu, and in the revisions, Muyesinbo (1759) and Muyedobotongji (1790). The Muyedobotongji also describes standard lengths and weights of the swords used; while not exclusive to swordsmanship, 8 of the 23 chapters are devoted to it, reflecting the needs the era when the guns have not yet matured enough for short-range combat.Swords in the Middle East evolved from daggers and sickles. They were originally made of copper, followed by bronze and finally iron. Among communities such as the Persians and Hebrews, the sword was short and equivalent to the Roman gladius. There did however exist longswords, slightly curved swords, and sickle-like swords similar to the Egyptian khopesh. Some blades were of such a size that it is difficult to classify them as either swords or daggers, and they are thus referred to by archaeologists as dagger-swords.Among the Assyrians and Hittites, the sword or namsaru was long with a slender blade. In the ancient Middle East, swords were always a secondary weapon. Assyrians made extensive use of the sword and dagger in hand-to-hand combat; the primary weapons were the bow, spear, and sling.Prior to the founding of Islam, swords were imported from Ubulla, a town along the Tigris river in Iraq. Arabian swords retained their straight double-edge shape during the time of the Prophet Muhammed. With the exception of their curved handles, they were nearly identical to medieval European arming swords in both function and design. They typically had a cruciform hilt and favoured cut and thrust techniques. Swords of this type were often paired with a shield or buckler but could also be wielded on their own. The spread of Islam was a unifying force in the Middle East, easing trade routes across the region. Armouries flourished and Damascus became the capital for trade in swords from Syria, Persia and Spain. The 9th-century Muslim scholar Al-Kindi studied the craft of forging swords and found 25 sword-making techniques peculiar to their countries of origin, including Yemen, Iran, France and Russia.The curved scimitar blade which has now come to typify Middle Eastern swords came about after the Turkish Seljuk migration from Central Asia to Anatolia, popularizing the pre-existing Byzantine sabre designs for cavalry use, which influenced the entire region. The curved blade was well-suited to the equestrian culture of the Turks, and easily lent itself to Arab horsemanship. The scimitar gave primacy to hacking and slashing techniques rather than the thrust. Sword fencing and sword dances are still practiced in much of the Middle East. In countries like Oman the weapon is typically paired with a shield or sometimes a dagger, of which many varieties exist. In styles such as Turkish scimitar combat, the scabbard is also used as a parrying weapon. In modern Iran, traditional Persian armed combat called razmafzar is currently being reconstructed. At present, sword training includes the single sword, two swords, and the sword with a shield.

Classical Fencing
The need to train swordsmen for combat in a nonlethal manner led fencing and swordsmanship to include a sport aspect from its beginnings, from before the medieval tournament right up to the modern age. The shift towards fencing as a sport rather than as military training happened from the mid-18th century, and was led by Domenico Angelo, who established a fencing academy, Angelo's School of Arms, in Carlisle House, Soho, London in 1763. There, he taught the aristocracy the fashionable art of swordsmanship which they had previously had to go the continent to learn, and also set up a riding school in the former rear garden of the house. He was fencing instructor to the Royal Family. With the help of artist Gwyn Delin, he had an instruction book published in England in 1763 which had 25 engraved plates demonstrating classic positions from the old schools of fencing. His school was run by three generations of his family and dominated the art of European fencing for almost a century. He established the essential rules of posture and footwork that still govern modern sport fencing, although his attacking and parrying methods were still much different from current practice. Although he intended to prepare his students for real combat, he was the first fencing master yet to emphasize the health and sporting benefits of fencing more than its use as a killing art, particularly in his influential book 'L'École des armes (The School of Fencing), published in 1763. According to the Encyclopædia Britannica, "Angelo was the first to emphasize fencing as a means of developing health, poise, and grace. As a result of his insight and influence, fencing changed from an art of war to a sport." As fencing progressed, the combat aspect slowly faded until only the rules of the sport remained. While the fencing taught in the late 19th and early 20th centuries was intended to serve both for competition and the duel (while understanding the differences between the two situations), the type of fencing taught in a modern sport fencing salle is intended only to train the student to compete in the most effective manner within the rules of the sport. As this evolution has continued, the training and techniques have become increasingly further removed from their martial roots. One driving force behind this evolution is sport fencing's award of a point to the fencer who scores the first touch with right of way; this encourages the competitors to use scoring techniques that result in a first touch in a sporting encounter but would leave them defenseless against a counterthrust, even from a mortally wounded opponent, in a duel with lethal weapons. The development of the first touch rule itself was, in turn, driven by the increasing tendency of duels to be fought to first blood rather than the death, with the result that training for a first touch could result in victory in a duel as well as a sporting encounter, even without killing or disabling the opponent.

Theatrical Sword-Fighting
Fencing and sword fighting have been incorporated into films as part of cinematic action sequences. Usually choreographed, these scenes are designed for entertainment but often demonstrate a high level of skill. Actor Errol Flynn became known for his sword-fighting scenes, such as in The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938). Other examples include The Princess Bride (1987), Rob Roy (1995), and Die Another Day (2002).

Fighting Style Advantages
Accurate Attack=Trade effect DC for attack bonus
Combat Note: When you make an accurate attack you can take a penalty of up to –5 on the effect modifier of the attack and add the same number (up to +5) to your attack bonus.

Defensive Attack=Trade attack bonus for active defense bonus.
Combat Note:Combat Note:When you make a defensive attack, you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to both your active defenses (Dodge and Parry).

Improved Defense=+2 bonus to active defense when you take the defend action.
Combat Note:When you take the defend action in combat you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your active defense checks for the round.

Improved Disarm= No penalty for the disarm action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to your attack check when attempting to disarm an opponent and they do not get the opportunity to disarm you.

Improved Initiative=+4 bonus to initiative checks per rank.
Combat Note:You have a +4 bonus to your initiative checks per rank in this advantage.

Power Attack=Trade attack bonus for effect bonus.
Combat Note:When you make a power attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect bonus of your attack.
Total Point Cost=6 power point for the Base style listed.

SPECIALIZING THE STYLE:
There's not many way's you can "specialize" swordfighting,other than some aestetics like Taunt for The Theatrical Style,so Enjoy this version! :D
Last edited by MacynSnow on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:14 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 am The best Star Wars swordfight is this one. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0scImICHU14
The Kenobi versus Vader fight in Star Wars is the most realistic, being basically just a kenjutsu bout. The Luke versus Vader duel on Cloud City is probably the best blend of verisimilitude and cinematic “wow!” That iconic shot where everything is in silhouette except the glowing sabre blades... Amazing.
Those are two of my favorite movie duels, the third is Obi-Wan vs Jango Fett. It's perhaps the only asymmetrical duel in the entire movie franchise, the only time when we see a jedi and non-jedi squaring off on equal footing.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Nobodies said anything 'bout my Swordfighting... :cry:
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Damn, sorry, I read it while I was at work and forgot to reply. I'm the worst for that :).

One thing I'll say is that there's too few paragraph breaks. It's kind of a wall of text, making it harder to read. I'll have to look at all this again.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Nice stuff, overall. I didn't know a lot of the regional variants. The fencing thing is interesting, because my fencing nerd friend thinks it makes him bad-ass, when he's really just using the sporting version, which disallows counter-attacks :).

You alas neglected to mention that the katana is the bestest, sharpest, most well-made blade of all time :).
Last edited by Jabroniville on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

I'm of the opinion that the sword is so glamorized in fiction that it deserves better than just some Advantages.
I feel that a sword carried by a Hero or Villain should always be a Power, not just Equipment, and that their swordfighting skills should likewise be built as a Power. Nothing else feels glamorous enough to fit the mystique of the sword.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Nunya B wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 am I'm of the opinion that the sword is so glamorized in fiction that it deserves better than just some Advantages.
I feel that a sword carried by a Hero or Villain should always be a Power, not just Equipment, and that their swordfighting skills should likewise be built as a Power. Nothing else feels glamorous enough to fit the mystique of the sword.
I can see your argument for "THE SWORD" as a power over the Style idea.But allow me to use a slight counter argument...The sword Excalibur had all that power and Arthur still died when he was dealt a killing blow by Lance-de-Locke (i like the french version of Lancealot's name better than the Americanization,it sounds cooler) using a regular sword.Lance was,according to 99% of all the books i've read,one of the Finest Swordsmen in the group Second only to Gwain The Green.No Powers,just pure skill and advantages(and maybe a Hero Point)...
Nunya B

Post by Nunya B »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:41 am I can see your argument for "THE SWORD" as a power over the Style idea.But allow me to use a slight counter argument...The sword Excalibur had all that power and Arthur still died when he was dealt a killing blow by Lance-de-Locke (i like the french version of Lancealot's name better than the Americanization,it sounds cooler) using a regular sword.Lance was,according to 99% of all the books i've read,one of the Finest Swordsmen in the group Second only to Gwain The Green.No Powers,just pure skill and advantages(and maybe a Hero Point)...
By my understanding of Arthurian myth, Arthur had lost Excalibur and its scabbard when he was fatally wounded and was instead using a spear.
Then again, I thought Mordred was the one who killed Arthur, so I may be rusty there.