Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Woodclaw

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 am As much as I love those movies, the swordplay in both is pretty bad. Pirate halves and Flynning make up most of the repertoires of all the fighters... Elwes and Patinkin are so damn charismatic that combined with the hilarious (and accurate) dialogue and the clever choreography, it’s really easy to overlook that their swordplay is kinda silly.

The Princess Bride is high on my list of movies where Hollywood’s bad sword-play is done well. Pirates of the Carribean, Kingdom of Heaven, The Last Jedi, and Master and Commander are also good examples.

My favorite cinematic sword fights are in The Duelists (Here, Here, and Here), Rob Roy (Here and Here), and the phenomenal duel in the rain from Polish film Potop (Here).
While the Princess Bride was hilariously over the top, I do agree that it is a great example of choreography (bonus point since in all but one shot the actor themselves performed the entire fight, no stunts).
I think that the problem is that to the untrained eye correct swordplay looks ... well, too plain. One thing in particular that sits bad on me every time is how poor the blade control of many characters is. I understand the need to "show" a bit more, but way too many characters overshot their opponent by a massive mark (I have a pretty poor blade control myself :P ).
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III »

The most common mistake is that cinematic swordsmen tend to “chase the blade,” swinging at their opponent’s weapon instead of at their opponent, oftentimes their opponent will politely hold their weapon in a way that makes easier to hit. Then they take turns! I hit your sword, you hit my sword, I hit your sword... This is known as “Flynning” from its prominence in Errol Flynn movies. I’ve alwso known it as “Pirate Halves” from theatre, since it’s a quick thing to teach extras in Peter Pan or whatever, where you need a bunch of pirates to sword fight in the background.

The most glaring mistake (once you know to look for it) is one of distance. Hollywood fighters often swing when they are wildly out of distant with their opponent, often aiming well above their heads, well in front of their chests, or well below their legs as they leap...

Staw Wars has terrible swordplay in every film except A New Hope and Rogue One.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 am The most common mistake is that cinematic swordsmen tend to “chase the blade,” swinging at their opponent’s weapon instead of at their opponent, oftentimes their opponent will politely hold their weapon in a way that makes easier to hit. Then they take turns! I hit your sword, you hit my sword, I hit your sword... This is known as “Flynning” from its prominence in Errol Flynn movies. I’ve alwso known it as “Pirate Halves” from theatre, since it’s a quick thing to teach extras in Peter Pan or whatever, where you need a bunch of pirates to sword fight in the background.

The most glaring mistake (once you know to look for it) is one of distance. Hollywood fighters often swing when they are wildly out of distant with their opponent, often aiming well above their heads, well in front of their chests, or well below their legs as they leap...

Staw Wars has terrible swordplay in every film except A New Hope and Rogue One.
Yep. I know about those as well. Flynning is sometime attributed to habits from the olympivc fencing and the concept of "priority", which works for a sport, but has no base in any kind of historical context.

As far as Star Wars is concerned I often prefered the original trilogy duels because the combattant moved as if they were holding a dangerous weapon in their hands, rather than twirling some kind of hollow baton. The only glaring exception for me is that fight between Obi-wan and Jango Fett in Attack of the Clones, but only because it's probably the only time we witness an asymmetric duel.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I was actually thinking of doing my take on the Styles of Sword-Fighting,which would include "Flynning" as a style(since in 2e they had the Swashbuckler Archtype,which was essentially "Errol Flynn:Super Hero")....
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

There are some instances where you directly strike at the opponent's blade, but they are usually either for defensive or disruptive purposes.

One of my favorite techniques for the German Longsword was Krumphau, or "crooked strike".

To describe it; you make a side to side slash on a more vertical plane with the flat of the blade towards yourself, kind if like a windshield wipers.

The purpose of this defense was to fowl your opponent's blade and motion, upsetting their own positioning and possibly leaving them open if they do not disengage or react quickly enough, as from the krump you can circle your own blade into several different guards to strike from, my personal favorite being into plow for a thrust or an undercut.

Going into ox from krump always felt awkward, and thay circling motion going into plow always felt good to set up for another defense if the opponent was being aggressive or your missed the connection with the krumphau.

The original point though, the krumphau is meant for striking the opponent's blade in defense or disruptive measures. It's really not a good offensive strike on its own.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:35 pm There are some instances where you directly strike at the opponent's blade, but they are usually either for defensive or disruptive purposes.

One of my favorite techniques for the German Longsword was Krumphau, or "crooked strike".

To describe it; you make a side to side slash on a more vertical plane with the flat of the blade towards yourself, kind if like a windshield wipers.

The purpose of this defense was to fowl your opponent's blade and motion, upsetting their own positioning and possibly leaving them open if they do not disengage or react quickly enough, as from the krump you can circle your own blade into several different guards to strike from, my personal favorite being into plow for a thrust or an undercut.

Going into ox from krump always felt awkward, and thay circling motion going into plow always felt good to set up for another defense if the opponent was being aggressive or your missed the connection with the krumphau.

The original point though, the krumphau is meant for striking the opponent's blade in defense or disruptive measures. It's really not a good offensive strike on its own.
There are a few similar strikes in Italian sidesword fencing as well, but they're meant, mostly, to set-up the opponent for a follow-through. I don't think there ever was a style meant to hit the opponent blade over and over.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Woodclaw wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 8:15 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:35 pm There are some instances where you directly strike at the opponent's blade, but they are usually either for defensive or disruptive purposes.

There are a few similar strikes in Italian sidesword fencing as well, but they're meant, mostly, to set-up the opponent for a follow-through. I don't think there ever was a style meant to hit the opponent blade over and over.
Technically, "Flynning" counts as a Style nowadays.It's just not a very Practical one.Classical Musketeer swordplay also counts as a style,but it has so many moves it's impractical in a real fight.There's a series i like watching that used to be on History Channel called Conquest and they have an episode dedicated to The Musketeer.This Series is part of what got me interested in Historical Combat Styles and i highly recommend it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Conquest is lousy with ahistorical “facts” and terribly biased research.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 3:31 pm Conquest is lousy with ahistorical “facts” and terribly biased research.
Oh i quite agree,but it's episode dedicated to The musketeer was rather good(at least the first part involving Flynning)...
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Thanks for building Tae Kwon Do, Macyn! Looks really cool and I like the in-depth information!
Formerly luketheduke86
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

L-Space wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:58 am Thanks for building Tae Kwon Do, Macyn! Looks really cool and I like the in-depth information!
You ask,i deliver! :D
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Welcome back to the Gym folks!This one took me a while to research&build,as there's just SO much information on it.Now,Here's MY take on Karate!
BRIEF REAL WORLD HISTORY:
Karate (空手) (/kəˈrɑːti/; Japanese pronunciation: [kaɾate]; Okinawan pronunciation: [kaɽati]) is a martial art developed in the Ryukyu Kingdom. It developed from the indigenous Ryukyuan martial arts (called te (手), "hand"; tii in Okinawan) under the influence of Chinese Kung Fu, particularly Fujian White Crane. Karate is now predominantly a striking art using punching, kicking, knee strikes, elbow strikes and open-hand techniques such as knife-hands, spear-hands, and palm-heel strikes. Historically, and in some modern styles, grappling, throws, joint locks, restraints, and vital-point strikes are also taught. A karate practitioner is called a karateka (空手家).
The Ryukyu Kingdom was annexed by Japan in 1879. Karate was brought to Japan in the early 20th century during a time of migration as Ryukyuans, especially from Okinawa, looked for work in Japan. It was systematically taught in Japan after the Taishō era. In 1922 the Japanese Ministry of Education invited Gichin Funakoshi to Tokyo to give a karate demonstration. In 1924 Keio University established the first university karate club in mainland Japan and by 1932, major Japanese universities had karate clubs. In this era of escalating Japanese militarism, the name was changed from 唐手 ("Chinese hand" or "Tang hand") to 空手 ("empty hand") – both of which are pronounced karate in Japanese – to indicate that the Japanese wished to develop the combat form in Japanese style. After World War II, Okinawa became an important United States military site and karate became popular among servicemen stationed there.
The martial arts movies of the 1960s and 1970s served to greatly increase the popularity of martial arts around the world, and in English the word karate began to be used in a generic way to refer to all striking-based Oriental martial arts. Karate schools began appearing across the world, catering to those with casual interest as well as those seeking a deeper study of the art.
Shigeru Egami, Chief Instructor of Shotokan Dojo, opined that "the majority of followers of karate in overseas countries pursue karate only for its fighting techniques ... Movies and television ... depict karate as a mysterious way of fighting capable of causing death or injury with a single blow ... the mass media present a pseudo art far from the real thing." Shōshin Nagamine said, "Karate may be considered as the conflict within oneself or as a life-long marathon which can be won only through self-discipline, hard training and one's own creative efforts."
On 28 September 2015, karate was featured on a shortlist along with baseball, softball, skateboarding, surfing, and sport climbing to be considered for inclusion in the 2020 Summer Olympics. On 1 June 2016, the International Olympic Committee's executive board announced they were supporting the inclusion of all five sports (counting baseball and softball as only one sport) for inclusion in the 2020 Games.
Web Japan (sponsored by the Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs) claims there are 50 million karate practitioners worldwide, while the World Karate Federation claims there are 100 million practitioners around the world.
Famous Fictional Karate Practioner's include Diana Palmer (The Phantom), Casey Ryback(Stephen Segal,The Under Siege Movies), Mr. Miyagi(Pat Morita ,the Original three Karate Kid Movies), The Entire Mishima Family from the Tekken games, and(Wierdly Enough) Spongebob Squarepants&Sandy Cheeks. Real-Life Practioners include Sonny Chiba-Sean Connery-Dolph Lundgren-Michael Jai White (Kyokushin Style), Don "The Dragon" Wilson-Richard Norton (Gōjū-ryu Style), Wesley Snipes=Jean-Claude Van Damme (Shotokan Style), Jim Kelly-Joe Lewis(Shōrin-ryū Style),and Tadashi Yamashita-Matt Mullins(Shōrin-ryū Style)...

THE STYLES OF KARATE:
Primary styles
There's currently 14 registered styles of Karate,but I'm only going to delve into 5 of them for simplicity's sake.

Gōjū-ryū Style
Gōjū-ryū (剛柔流), Japanese for "hard-soft style," is one of the main traditional Okinawan styles of karate, featuring a combination of hard and soft techniques. Both principles, hard and soft, come from the famous martial arts book used by Okinawan masters during the 19th and 20th centuries, the Bubishi (Chinese: 武備志; pinyin: Wǔbèi Zhì). Gō, which means hard, refers to closed hand techniques or straight linear attacks; jū, which means soft, refers to open hand techniques and circular movements. Gōjū-ryū incorporates both circular and linear movements into its curriculum, combining hard striking attacks such as kicks and close hand punches with softer open hand circular techniques for attacking, blocking, and controlling the opponent, including joint locks, grappling, takedowns, and throws. Major emphasis is given to breathing correctly in all of the katas but particularly in the Sanchin kata which is one of two core katas of this style. The second kata is called Tensho, meant to teach the student about the soft style of the system. Gōjū-ryū practices methods that include body strengthening and conditioning, its basic approach to fighting (distance, stickiness, power generation, etc.), and partner drills.

Shōrin-ryū Style
Shōrin-ryū (少林流) is one of the major modern Okinawan martial arts and is one of the oldest styles of karate. It was named by Choshin Chibana in 1933, but the system itself is much older. The characters 少林, meaning "small" and "forest" respectively and pronounced "shōrin" in Japanese, are also used in the Chinese and Japanese words for Shaolin Kung Fu. "Ryū" means "school". Shōrin-ryū combines elements of the traditional Okinawan fighting styles of Shuri-te.Shōrin-ryū is generally characterized by natural breathing, natural (narrow, high) stances, and circular, rather than direct movements. Shōrin-ryū practitioners assert that correct motion, moving quickly to evade violence with fluid movements and flexible positions are important, and that a solid structure is vital for powerful blocks and strikes. Stances that are too deep generally make body movement difficult. Another feature in this system is how the student is taught to punch. Generally, there is neither a horizontal nor vertical punch in Shōrin-ryū. Punches are slightly canted to the inside, with the largest knuckle of the fore finger (third from the tip) in vertical alignment with the second knuckle of the pinky finger. It is believed that this position is key in lining up the bones of the arm and creates a faster, more stable and powerful strike.

Kyokushin Style
Kyokushin (極真) is a style of stand-up, full contact karate, founded in 1964 by Korean-Japanese Masutatsu Oyama (大山倍達 Ōyama Masutatsu). "Kyokushin" is Japanese for "the ultimate truth." It is rooted in a philosophy of self-improvement, discipline and hard training.Its full contact style had international appeal (practitioners have over the last 40+ years numbered more than 12 million).After formally establishing the Kyokushinkaikan in 1964, Oyama directed the organization through a period of expansion. Oyama hand-picked instructors who displayed ability in marketing the style and gaining new members. Oyama would choose an instructor to open a new dojo. The instructor would move to that town and demonstrate his karate skills in public places. After that, word of mouth would spread through the local area until the dojo had a dedicated core of students. Oyama also sent instructors to other countries such as the Netherlands (Kenji Kurosaki), Australia (Shigeo Kato and Mamoru Kaneko), the United States (Tadashi Nakamura, Shigeru Oyama and Yasuhiko Oyama, Miyuki Miura), Great Britain (Steve Arneil), Canada (Tatsuji Nakamura) and Brazil (Seiji Isobe) to spread Kyokushin in the same way. Many students, including Jon Bluming, Steve Arneil, and Howard Collins, traveled to Japan to train with Oyama directly. In 1969, Oyama staged The First All-Japan Full Contact Karate Open Championships and Terutomo Yamazaki became the first champion. All-Japan Championships have been held at every year. In 1975, The First World Full Contact Karate Open Championships were held in Tokyo. World Championships have been held at four-yearly intervals since.

Shotokan Style
Shotokan (松濤館 Shōtōkan) is a style of karate, developed from various martial arts by Gichin Funakoshi (1868–1957) and his son Gigo (Yoshitaka) Funakoshi (1906–1945). Gichin was born in Okinawa and is widely credited with popularizing "karate do" through a series of public demonstrations, and by promoting the development of university karate clubs, including those at Keio, Waseda, Hitotsubashi (Shodai), Takushoku, Chuo, Gakushuin, and Hosei. Funakoshi had many students at the university clubs and outside dojos, who continued to teach karate after his death in 1957. However, internal disagreements (in particular the notion that competition is contrary to the essence of karate) led to the creation of different organisations—including an initial split between the Japan Karate Association (headed by Masatoshi Nakayama) and the Shotokai (headed by Motonobu Hironishi and Shigeru Egami), followed by many others—so that today there is no single "Shotokan school", although they all bear Funakoshi's influence. Shotokan was the name of the first official dojo built by Gichin Funakoshi, in 1936 at Mejiro, and destroyed in 1945 as a result of an allied bombing. Shoto (松濤 Shōtō), meaning "pine-waves" (the movement of pine needles when the wind blows through them), was Funakoshi's pen-name, which he used in his poetic and philosophical writings and messages to his students. The Japanese kan (館 kan) means "house" or "hall". In honour of their sensei, Funakoshi's students created a sign reading shōtō-kan, which they placed above the entrance of the hall where Funakoshi taught. Gichin Funakoshi never gave his system a name, just calling it karate. As the most widely practiced style, Shotokan is considered a traditional and influential form of karate do.Shotokan training is usually divided into three parts: kihon (basics), kata (forms or patterns of moves), and kumite (sparring). Techniques in kihon and kata are characterised by deep, long stances that provide stability, enable powerful movements, and strengthen the legs. Shotokan is regarded as a dynamic martial art as it develops anaerobic, powerful techniques as well as developing speed. Initially strength and power are demonstrated instead of slower, more flowing motions. Those who progress to brown and black belt level develop a much more fluid style that incorporates grappling, throwing and some standing joint locking jiu-jitsu-like techniques, which can be found even in basic kata. Kumite (fighting) techniques are practised in the kihon and kata and developed from basic to advanced levels with an opponent.

Shuri-ryū Style
'Shuri-ryū (首里流) karate, is an eclectic martial arts system developed by Robert Trias (1923–1989), reportedly the first Caucasian to teach karate in the mainland United States, who opened his public first dojo in 1946 in Phoenix, Arizona. According to modern Shuri-Ryu stylists,Shu which means to learn from tradition, Ri means to transcend or go beyond, and Ryu means any style or particular school of thought. Although according to the Japanese and Okinawan language Shu(首) means head, Ri(里) means Village and Ryu (流) means Style. Later in 1948 he formed the first karate association in the U.S., the United States Karate Association (USKA). The USKA became one of the largest karate associations in the country; its membership included almost all of the early top karate instructors. The style of Shuri-ryū is taught in the United States, parts of Europe, and South America.Shuri-ryū is a style that has a lineage coming from a variety of sources, including karate. Other influences include Xing Yi (Hsing-Yi) Kung Fu. Trias was first introduced to karate while in the Navy during World War II, when he was stationed in the Solomon Islands. In 1942 Robert Trias met T'ung Gee Hsing and began training with him. Hsing practiced the Chinese system of Xingyiquan and had reportedly cross-trained with Motobu Chōki in the Okinawan village of Kume Mura several years previously. Later Trias reportedly studied with Hoy Yuan Ping in Singapore in 1944. In addition to these teachers, Trias learned from other martial art teachers, such as Yajui Yamada (judo), Gogen Yamaguchi (Gōjū-ryū), Roy Oshiro (Gōjū-ryū), Yasuhiro Konishi, Makoto Gima (Shotokan, Shitō-ryū), and several others. Both Konishi and Gima served as mentors to Trias instead of in a formal teacher-student relationship. Konishi, a prominent student of Gichin Funakoshi, Choki Motobu, and Kenwa Mabuni, recognized and countersigned Trias's promotion certificate to 9th Dan by the USKA in the 1960s. Gima was a prominent student of Funakoshi and he recognized Trias as 10th Dan in 1983, reaffirming Trias as style head for Shuri-ryū. In addition to the punches, blocks, and kicks of karate, Shuri-ryū also incorporates joint locks, take-downs and throws, and kobudō (traditional weapons). Several senior sensei also hold high ranks in jujitsu and judo. Shuri Ryu follows a system of teachings called the Haryu which are identifiers of the system. Shuri-ryū also has several short combinations. These include: 26 ippon (ippon kumite kata), which are performed to develop form and power; 10 taezu (taezu naru waza) which are performed to develop speed and fluidity; 30 kihon which are performed to develop fighting technique; eight sen-te motions; and seven kogeki-ho ho to develop attacking and retreating. In addition, there are training exercises including form sparring (kata kumite), focus stance sparring (kime dachi kumite), free exercise (jiyū undō), and free sparring (jiyū kumite).

Fighting Style Advantages
All-out Attack=Trade active defense for attack bonus.
Combat Note:When you make an all-out attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your active defenses
(Dodge and Parry) and add the same number (up to +5) to your attack bonus.

Improved Defense=+2 bonus to active defense when you take the defend action.
Combat Note:When you take the defend action in combat you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your active defense checks for the round.

Improved Disarm=No penalty for the disarm action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to your attack check when attempting to disarm an opponent and they do not get the opportunity to disarm you.

Improved Smash=No penalty for the smash action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to attack checks to hit an object held by another character.

Instant Up=Stand from prone as a free action.
Combat Note:You can go from prone to standing as a free action without the need for an Acrobatics skill check.

Power Attack=Trade attack bonus for effect bonus.
Combat Note:When you make a power attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect bonus of your attack.
Looking at the Stuff from the Book,you have your Basic Hong Kong Movie Extra here.Somebody whose taken the style probably when they were in High School or College just to impress girls...
Total Point Cost=6 power point for the Simple style listed.

SPECIALIZING THE STYLE:
if you want to make your fighter better at the Style,here's how you branch out...
Gōjū-ryū Style
This style is the Most Traditional Okinawan style left.These people are increadibly good at controlling how a fight goes...
Improved Defense=+2 bonus to active defense when you take the defend action.
Combat Note:When you take the defend action in combat you gain a +2 circumstance bonus to your active defense checks for the round.-these people take a "after you " approach when facing someone new...
Grabbing Finesse=Substitute Dex for Str when making grab attacks.
Combat Note:You can use your Dexterity bonus, rather than your Strength bonus, to make grab attacks. You are not vulnerable while grabbing.-90% of all Practioners of this version aren't the strongest around,but they don't have to be...
Improved Hold=–5 circumstance penalty to escape from your holds.
Combat Note:Your grab attacks are particularly difficult to escape. Opponents you grab suffer a –5 circumstance penalty on checks to escape.-'cause ounce they do grab you,they plan on Breaking something.
Improved Trip=No penalty for the trip action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to your attack check to trip an opponent and they do not get the opportunity to trip you. When making a trip attack, make an opposed check of your Acrobatics or Athletics against your opponent’s Acrobatics or Athletics, you choose which your opponent uses to defend, rather than the target choosing.-ounce they grab you,they're putting you on the ground one way or the other...
Chokehold=Suffocate an opponent you have successfully grabbed.
Combat Note:If you successfully grab and restrain an opponent, you can apply a chokehold, causing your opponent to begin suffocating for as long as you continue to restrain your target.-there's a reason these folks want to grab onto you and it ain't for a Hug...
Fast Grab=Make a free grab check after an unarmed attack.
Combat Note:When you hit with an unarmed attack you can immediately make a grab check against that opponent as a free action. Your unarmed attack inflicts its normal damage and counts as the initial attack check required to grab your opponent.-they'll try to latch onto you like a Bloodsucking leech if given the chance...
Total Point Cost= 12 power points with the new add-ons.

Shōrin-ryū Style
To these fighters,the name of the game is "Mobility,mobility,mobility.",as they like to keep moving sticking&kicking as they go...
Seize Initiative=Spend a hero point to go first in the initiative order.
Combat Note:You can spend a hero point to automatically go first in the initiative order. You may only do so at the start of combat, when you would normally make your initiative check.If more than one character uses this advantage, they all make initiative checks normally and act in order of their initiative result, followed by all the other characters who do not have this advantage.-They don't want you to have a turn at all, if possible...
Move-by Action=Move both before and after your standard action.
Combat Note:When taking a standard action and a move action you can move both before and after your standard action, provided the total distance moved isn’t greater than your normal movement speed.-since the key tp their version of the Style is to wear the opponent out,they like to stick/move...
Defensive Roll(3)=+1 active defense bonus to Toughness per rank.
Combat Note:You can avoid damage through agility and “rolling” with an attack. You receive a bonus to your Toughness equal to your advantage rank, but it is considered an active defense similar to Dodge and Parry, so you lose this bonus whenever you are vulnerable or defenseless. Your total Toughness, including this advantage, is still limited by power level. -They're usually not very tough naturally,so they make up for it in being hard to hit in the first place...
Accurate Attack=Trade effect DC for attack bonus.
Combat Note:When you make an accurate attack you can take a penalty of up to –5 on the effect modifier of the attack and add the same number (up to +5) to your attack bonus.- there punches are slightly canted to the inside, with the largest knuckle of the fore finger (third from the tip) in vertical alignment with the second knuckle of the pinky finger. It is believed that this position is key in lining up the bones of the arm and creates a faster, more stable and powerful strike...
Total Point Cost= 12 power points with the new add-ons.

Kyokushin Style
By far the Hardest version of this Style, to these guy's it's all about Full-Contact and Never giving your opponent any room to breathe...
Combat Note:When you make a power attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect bonus of your attack.-to them,it's more about the Damage than the Hit itself...
Improved Critical (Unarmed)=+1 to critical threat range with an attack per rank.
Combat Note:Increase your critical threat range with a particular attack(chosen when you acquire this advantage) by 1, allowing you to score a critical hit on a natural 19 or 20. Only a natural 20 is an automatic hit, however, and an attack that misses is not a critical. Each additional rank applies to a different attack or increases your threat range with an existing attack by one more, to a maximum threat range of 16-20 with 4 ranks.-these guy's will do everything in their power to Hurt you when they hit...
All-out Attack=Trade active defense for attack bonus.
Combat Note:When you make an all-out attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your active defenses (Dodge and Parry) and add the same number (up to +5) to your attack bonus.-and they don't care if they get hit in the return fire...
Takedown=Free extra attack when you incapacitate a minion.
Combat Note:If you render a minion incapacitated with an attack, you get an immediate extra attack as a free action against another
minion within range and adjacent to the previous target’s location. The extra attack is with the same attack and bonus as the first. You can continue using this advantage until you miss or there are no more minions within range of your attack or your last target. A second rank in this advantage allows you to attack nonadjacent minion targets, moving between attacks if necessary to do so. You cannot move more than your total speed in the round, regardless of the number of attacks you make. You stop attacking once you miss, run out of movement, or there are no more minions within range of your attack
.-If facing multiple opponents,they'll just pull a Van Damme and start Roundhouse kicking people untill no one but them's still standing...
Total Point Cost=10 power points with the new add-ons.

Shotokan Style
these Practioners are the one's you see Breaking Boards with Jump kicks and Headbutts when you were in High School(They were also the Reason you Broke your Parent's Living Room Table trying to do a Jump Kick like an Idiot).Their Visually stunning and Blindingly Fast,almost faster than the Shōrin-ryū guy's...
Improved Initiative=+4 bonus to initiative checks per rank.
Combat Note:You have a +4 bonus to your initiative checks per rank in this advantage.-these guys also really want to go first....
Agile Feint=Feint using Acrobatics skill or movement speed(recomend Acrobatics).
Combat Note:You can use your Acrobatics bonus or movement speed rank in place of Deception to feint and trick in combat as if your skill bonus or speed rank were your Deception bonus. Your opponent opposes the attempt with Acrobatics or Insight (whichever is better).-they really want to make a Hit look good,so that short little jump they do before breaking something is really useful...
Improved Smash=No penalty for the smash action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to attack checks to hit an object held by another character.-Apparently these guys just like to break people and stuff.Because they can...
Combat Note:When you make a power attack,you can take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to the effect bonus of your attack.-When they fight,they FIGHT...
Total Point Cost= 10 power points with the new add-ons.

Shuri-ryū Style
these are the Karateka's you see in Those Hong Kong&Hollywood Action Movies that's packing the Swords.nunchuk's,etc.If you use this Version,be sure to try and do the Nunchuk Twirl bit for me(It looks awesome)...
Improved Critical(the staff, nunchaku, kama, rope or chain, and tonfa )=+1 to critical threat range with an attack per rank.
Combat Note:Increase your critical threat range with a particular attack(chosen when you acquire this advantage) by 1, allowing you to score a critical hit on a natural 19 or 20. Only a natural 20 is an automatic hit, however, and an attack that misses is not a critical. Each additional rank applies to a different attack or increases your threat range with an existing attack by one more, to a maximum threat range of 16-20 with 4 ranks.-Time to show-off those weapons you got there skillmonkey!...
Improved Hold=–5 circumstance penalty to escape from your holds.
Combat Note:Your grab attacks are particularly difficult to escape. Opponents you grab suffer a –5 circumstance penalty on checks to escape.-These people really want to grab you.....
Chokehold=Suffocate an opponent you have successfully grabbed.
Combat Note:If you successfully grab and restrain an opponent, you can apply a chokehold, causing your opponent to begin suffocating for as long as you continue to restrain your target.-sometimes somebody just gotta choke a B*&^%....
Improved Disarm=No penalty for the disarm action.
Combat Note:You have no penalty to your attack check when attempting to disarm an opponent and they do not get the opportunity to disarm you.-hey,neat!Can i see it a sec?...
Improved Grab=Make grab attacks with one arm. Not vulnerable while grabbing.
Combat Note:You can make grab attacks with only one arm, leaving the other free. You can also maintain the grab while using your other hand to perform actions. You are not vulnerable while grabbing.-these guy's really get a little too clingy...
Total Point Cost=11 power points with the new add-ons.
I hope everybody likes what i did for Karate and i get a lot of resposes.I'm sorry this is late,but it was a LOT of Information to sort through,as there are over 15 schools of Karate alone and was a real chore to hunt through them and pick the one's i though would be good to show off....
Enjoy! :D :D
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 am Staw Wars has terrible swordplay in every film except A New Hope and Rogue One.
Even Solo?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Ken wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 pm
Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 8:07 am Staw Wars has terrible swordplay in every film except A New Hope and Rogue One.
Even Solo?
Haven’t seen it yet. Is there any swordplay in it? If there is, I’m assuming it’s terrible just due to the franchises’ track record.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

No sword play in solo

and no Solo is a fun movie I enjoyed it
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories