Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Ok,i can take a hint...my next style will be my take on Swordsmanship and some of the various version's.Which one's do you all think the Gym should show?

Edit:I'm limiting the number to 5 Version's of the Swordsmanship Style,i have a life outside of Research you bunch o'Heathens....:D
Last edited by MacynSnow on Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Katanas-Aren’t-Magic Ryu. The school of Japanese swordsmanship that reminds people that a sharpened steel bar doesn’t actually have mystical properties above and beyond those of other sharpened steel bars just because it was made by inscrutable orientals.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:20 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm
Katanas-Aren’t-Magic Ryu. The school of Japanese swordsmanship that reminds people that a sharpened steel bar doesn’t actually have mystical properties above and beyond those of other sharpened steel bars just because it was made by inscrutable orientals.
If you've noticed in my Previous builds BG,i tend to avoid the whole Mystical mumbo-jumbo.I'd perfer to just relay as much true Historical information as i can find,then give my opinion on what i think said Style would have....

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm

In a more serious sense, if you want to limit yourself to five styles of swordsmanship, I'd say you can pretty much group all of them into a few broad categories, with notes that individual weapons/eras/teachers will emphasize different aspects of them slightly, but generally speaking they all boil down to using roughly similar weapons in roughly similar ways for roughly the same purpose.
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • One-Handed Single-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Falchion, Persian Shamshir, Chinese Dao, and modern infantry and cavalry sabres.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
  • Two-Handed Single-Edged Swords, which is basically just the Japanese Katana.
  • Primarily Thrusting Swords, including but not limited to the European Rapier and Smallsword.
In M&M3e terms there isn't going to be much mechanical difference between a Highland Broadsword and a Chinese Dao (Strength-based, Damage 3, Improved Critical 1) and the list of Advantages that you could possibly learn in each school is going to look broadly the same too. Although a student of Wudang Xuanmen Jian kung fu is probably going to learn them in a different order than an officer leading the 93rd (Sutherland Highlanders) Regiment of Foot.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

Ken
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Ken » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm

Batgirl III wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
Which group is justice in?
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Woodclaw » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am

Ken wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm
Batgirl III wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
Which group is justice in?
Justice?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 am

Woodclaw wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am
Ken wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm
Batgirl III wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm
  • One-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Arming Sword and Backsword, and Chinesse Jiàn.
  • Two-Handed Double-Edged Swords, including but not limited to the European Zweihander, Longsword, and Montante.
Which group is justice in?
Justice?
Justice is/was a type of Hand-and-a-half Sword used for Knightly Duels during the Middle Ages.Technically it would fall under Two-Handed but not have the double-edge.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am

The Sachsenspiegel c. 1230 specified that combatants are armed with sword and shield, which would have been an arming sword and buckler. Hans Talhoffer’s 15th Century fechtbücher depicts techniques to be applied in judicial duels, dividing them into Swabian (sword and shield) and Franconian (mace and shield) variants. Other contemporary manuals such as that of Paulus Kal and the Codex Wallerstein detail the same styles. I’ve never seen judicial combat involving longswords in any period source.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:46 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am
The Sachsenspiegel c. 1230 specified that combatants are armed with sword and shield, which would have been an arming sword and buckler. Hans Talhoffer’s 15th Century fechtbücher depicts techniques to be applied in judicial duels, dividing them into Swabian (sword and shield) and Franconian (mace and shield) variants. Other contemporary manuals such as that of Paulus Kal and the Codex Wallerstein detail the same styles. I’ve never seen judicial combat involving longswords in any period source.

I’d be happy to be proven wrong.
Not historically no(forgive me for not being clearer,as i'm running on Brisk Iced Tea and 2 hours sleep),but what about the Arthurian legends?The never used Shields unless they were on horseback....or so i've read.

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:58 am

That’s a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish, since the Arthurian mythos spans centuries and changes radically from the early Welsh and Britainic folklore in the early Middle Ages, to the Romantic chansons of the High Middle Ages, to the Edwardian and Victorian revivals of the modern day... and, of course, Hollywood depictions.

But, the most popular image most people have of Arthur comes from Mallory’s Le Morte d'Arthur, which most definitely paints Arthur as being in a faux 13-14th Century. Plate armor, heater shields, arming swords, etc.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:17 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:58 am
That’s a whole ‘nuther kettle of fish, since the Arthurian mythos spans centuries and changes radically from the early Welsh and Britainic folklore in the early Middle Ages, to the Romantic chansons of the High Middle Ages, to the Edwardian and Victorian revivals of the modern day... and, of course, Hollywood depictions.

But, the most popular image most people have of Arthur comes from Mallory’s Le Morte d'Arthur, which most definitely paints Arthur as being in a faux 13-14th Century. Plate armor, heater shields, arming swords, etc.
True enough,but did it state in the stories that he & the other "[j]Knights of The Round[/i]" ever used a shield? If my memory is still working right now,then they didn't. And you can't type to my 'face ' that the Sword Excalibur wasn't a Hand and a half sword....

Honestly your more than likely right and it's just Sleep Deprivation that's making me such Contrarian right now. :D

User avatar
Batgirl III
Posts: 2429
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:17 am
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Batgirl III » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 am

Well, since Excalibur never actually existed, its very hard to say what it "really" was. However, in almost all artwork, it is depicted as an arming sword.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.

MacynSnow
Posts: 3185
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by MacynSnow » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:33 am

Batgirl III wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:35 am
Well, since Excalibur never actually existed, its very hard to say what it "really" was. However, in almost all artwork, it is depicted as an arming sword.
Like i said; i blame sleep deprivation.:) your right on all counts,so my bad. :oops:
Now if you'll excuse me,i thing i'll find out what this strange thing called "sleeping" is..... :lol:

Ken
Posts: 1939
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:40 pm
Location: DeKamore, IL, Earth-Two

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Ken » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 pm

MacynSnow wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:45 am
Woodclaw wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 am
Ken wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 pm


Which group is justice in?
Justice?
Justice is/was a type of Hand-and-a-half Sword used for Knightly Duels during the Middle Ages.Technically it would fall under Two-Handed but not have the double-edge.
Odd. I've always heard that justice is a double-edged sword. But of course, I'm being an idiom.
Does a Winnie poo in the 100-acre wood?

Jabroniville
Posts: 9109
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Re: Macyn's Golden Gloves Gym(or,Intresting ways to Characterize fighting styles!)

Post by Jabroniville » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:35 pm

Wow, I'd missed this entire topic! Nice work, Macyn!
L-Space wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm
MacynSnow wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 pm
Special mention goes to the Hajimi No-Ippo anime,as every single cast member could be put onto this list as it's THAT accurate to the material used....
Man, I really need to watch that anime. I've always been a huge fan of boxing characters, but for some reason was never able to catch that show.

Speaking of anime, if you haven't already seen it I recommend Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple. While it is over the top at times it does a good job showing a lot of different types of martial arts style. Muay Thai, Jojutsu, Savate, Pencak Silat, etc.
yeah, it's a really fun anime/manga. It basically takings Shonen fighting tropes, and modifies them to fit a cartoony version of a real-world sport, combined with the histories of real boxers, and characters which are meant to directly emulate them. Ippo is an in-boxer who fights like Tyson (who was at his peak when Ippo debuted), while Miyata is a more skilled, fragile out-boxer.

Post Reply