Fantasy Noir [Homebrew][WiP]

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MacynSnow

Re: Fantasy Noir [Homebrew][WiP]

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:31 pm Is the Marvel Universe one the same that uses power stones to designate where your efforts are being placed? If so, I have that book on my shelf. It looked interesting, if not necessarily intuitive.

If it's not the same, that is one book I am looking at for its power resource mechanics. It wouldn't work as Is, but has potential as a resource generation mechanic.
The Marvel Universe one is the very same.While i agree it's not very intuitive,it makes up for it with that deliciously simple resource generation mechanic.It's so simple,i can do it in my head right now(just replace power stone references with points:3 red points equal 1 white point).
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Yeah. I was thinking about how I could implement a stamina system using something like that. Primary focus of my thoughts today really and I may have something that could work...

So, of the 6 main attributes, I can break them down into 2 groups of 3.

Physique, Combat and Profession are physical attributes.
Lore, Observation and Social are mental attributes.

With attribute levels being a thing, I could have stamina be generated by physical attributes (max value equals total attribute levels, regeneration equal to the lower attribute level of the set), and the same for energy for mental attributes.

Additionally, the two could be combined for "high action" type games, simply adding both derived values and regeneration values so players have more stamina to throw around more techniques or whatever and just have everything use the one larger resource thay covers everything.

I like this because it has some flexibility in its use to create a different dynamic for a different setting or style of game with minimal effort.

The groupings could also be broken down to 3 groups of two with Profession and Social being put together for a loose grouping of "soul based" attributes, one being how you express yourself, the other reflecting professional passions. This could create a third resource for soul which could be appropriate in some settings.

Having resources as well makes them potential targets for special techniques and magic and whatnot.

I am picturing a game in which you have stamina, energy(or mana) and soul, all would be lower values due to being split down as they are, making them valuable and making players consider carefully when to use them, but then there are also spirits which directly attack the soul, or energy vampires that drain energy/mana rather than doing regular damage.

Keeping in mind, this game does not have hit points. Provided you roll stupid lucky, you can just keep taking injuries. The result of your resources being drained wouldn't kill you, but would make you much easier to kill.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

EpicEclipse wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:49 am Yeah. I was thinking about how I could implement a stamina system using something like that. Primary focus of my thoughts today really and I may have something that could work...

So, of the 6 main attributes, I can break them down into 2 groups of 3.

Physique, Combat and Profession are physical attributes.
Lore, Observation and Social are mental attributes.

With attribute levels being a thing, I could have stamina be generated by physical attributes (max value equals total attribute levels, regeneration equal to the lower attribute level of the set), and the same for energy for mental attributes.

Additionally, the two could be combined for "high action" type games, simply adding both derived values and regeneration values so players have more stamina to throw around more techniques or whatever and just have everything use the one larger resource thay covers everything.

I like this because it has some flexibility in its use to create a different dynamic for a different setting or style of game with minimal effort.

The groupings could also be broken down to 3 groups of two with Profession and Social being put together for a loose grouping of "soul based" attributes, one being how you express yourself, the other reflecting professional passions. This could create a third resource for soul which could be appropriate in some settings.

Having resources as well makes them potential targets for special techniques and magic and whatnot.

I am picturing a game in which you have stamina, energy(or mana) and soul, all would be lower values due to being split down as they are, making them valuable and making players consider carefully when to use them, but then there are also spirits which directly attack the soul, or energy vampires that drain energy/mana rather than doing regular damage.

Keeping in mind, this game does not have hit points. Provided you roll stupid lucky, you can just keep taking injuries. The result of your resources being drained wouldn't kill you, but would make you much easier to kill.
I like the idea of 3 resource generators,as it gives more variation on what you can make.
Alright,let's name them then:
Pysical(PSY)=Physique+Combat divided by 2(round up)
Mental(MENT)=Lore+Observation divided by 2(round up)
Spiritual(SPI)=Profession+Social divided by 2(round up)

So,how's that look to you?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I am still thinking about it, but those are definitely not going to be the formulas for it. Attribute levels aren't going to be very high numbers ever, so playing an average for a resource is rather silly and miniscule in actual effect.

More likely it will be the two attribute levels added together, period. Then regenerating the resource will be based on the lower of the attributes in the set.

On top of that, I like the idea of having three separate modes, kind of like a sliding setting. The names of them is not so important as such since again they could be adjusted for setting, but by a default fantasy noir setting, it would be stamina, mana, soul.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

So,how's the homebrew going?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:24 am So,how's the homebrew going?
It hit a bit of a pause when I transitioned work sites at the start of June. Due to the extreme change in work hours, length of shift and so on, I'm just finally getting fully acclimated and settled in.

I am hoping to get back to it very soon. I do have a 13.5 hour shift to fill time in after all... xD