Pro Wrestling in M&M

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
HalloweenJack

Re: Pro Wrestling in M&M

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:53 pm 2 questions for you; What about top rope finisher's (Eddie's/RVD's Frog splash,Bam Bam's Moonsault,etc.)?
And the most important queston(in my oppinion,at least); are you gonna run something like this an can anyone post characters/wrestlers on this?
I'd look at it like they have a natural level in that, determining on how often they do it as a wrestler.

Like Eddie would have like say maybe 10 points or what not on it, and he'd have to roll a 2 to be able to do it.

Bam Bam would have to roll slightly higher to hit it whereas say Giant Gonzales would need to roll like a 20 or something.

then you have saving throws for the guys that are going to be hit by it. Vader tended to miss his moonsaults more often than not where someone like Muta would hit it more often than not.

Basic stuff I'm sure everyone's thought of already, but this sounds really fun typing it out :)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

These are all questions for me, too. Like, how to handle being on the ground? Should all "Slam"-type moves include an Affliction for that? Should most top-rope moves only hit Prone foes?

Anyone can feel free to build characters. I just don't know the specifics of how I want stats to work yet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 am These are all questions for me, too. Like, how to handle being on the ground? Should all "Slam"-type moves include an Affliction for that? Should most top-rope moves only hit Prone foes?

Anyone can feel free to build characters. I just don't know the specifics of how I want stats to work yet.
Does Pl or editions matter? I can do....most of the Dangerous Alliance faction in my sleep if it's 2e(an original character might take me longer),but it'd take me longer in 3e....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:54 am These are all questions for me, too. Like, how to handle being on the ground? Should all "Slam"-type moves include an Affliction for that? Should most top-rope moves only hit Prone foes?

here's an interesting question we should answer

why does....say Hogan's legdrop not hurt him when he hits it on someone....but does hurt him when they move?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm

why does....say Hogan's legdrop not hurt him when he hits it on someone....but does hurt him when they move?
I'd say.....ifyou missed a move(which can happen on occasion),instead of it just being a miss,you'd probably have to make a damage save as if you'd been hit with it instead of them.....Which would explain why RVD looked like he was hurting himself every time he did his version of a Frog splash.

As for why he's not hurt if he connect's,the opponent would be taking the majority of the damage in that case.Same could be said about Savage's Elbow drop or the multiple Stunner variation's out there(the opponent getting hit with them are acting like short bungie cords,slowing the wrestler hitting it down enough that they don't take any damage from their drop)
Shock

Post by Shock »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:17 pm

I'd say.....ifyou missed a move(which can happen on occasion),instead of it just being a miss,you'd probably have to make a damage save as if you'd been hit with it instead of them.....Which would explain why RVD looked like he was hurting himself every time he did his version of a Frog splash.

As for why he's not hurt if he connect's,the opponent would be taking the majority of the damage in that case.Same could be said about Savage's Elbow drop or the multiple Stunner variation's out there(the opponent getting hit with them are acting like short bungie cords,slowing the wrestler hitting it down enough that they don't take any damage from their drop)
This is pretty much what the first rank of Side Effect is for. If the move fails, you take damage instead.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, that's what I indicated before- any "High Risk" move has a Side Effect. Splashes & Elbow Drops have less (they only hurt a little), but missing a Flying Move will definitely cause a full Side Effect.

I'm still trying to figure out how stuff like "Prone" and whatever will work. Some moves only work on Prone foes, but how do you ensure they stay prone for a while? Should slam-type moves include that in their statistics?

This is the stuff I need to properly figure out before I try ANYTHING as far as "Character Building" goes.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:11 pm Yeah, that's what I indicated before- any "High Risk" move has a Side Effect. Splashes & Elbow Drops have less (they only hurt a little), but missing a Flying Move will definitely cause a full Side Effect.

I'm still trying to figure out how stuff like "Prone" and whatever will work. Some moves only work on Prone foes, but how do you ensure they stay prone for a while? Should slam-type moves include that in their statistics?

This is the stuff I need to properly figure out before I try ANYTHING as far as "Character Building" goes.
I'm of the mind that any slam/High impact moves(Lariats,DDT's,piledrivers,neck/backbreakers,etc.)would force on the reciever a short-trurn(1 turn only maybe) stun effect,thereby allowing the oppont a chance to try to hit a bigger more damaging move....

Finishing Moves,however,might be harder to figure out.....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

yeah finishers sometimes sort of reek of hero points, but it'd be a fine line

it makes me of Michaels hitting his superkick on the Big Show once.....I think Show was the one guy who never went down to a Superkick....he was wobbly but was still standing
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Reading this thread reminds me of old forum E-Feds I used to participate in. How nostalgic.

The way I see it, there are a few tiers of moves;
The basics; simple, not very damaging and easy to be reversed, but good for a little chip damage and the most reliable. Easy to replicate with basic attacks

The technical; more complex moves that can miss or fail that often require some set up but don't have heavy penalty for failure (besides perhaps being opened up to a counter assault). Can be replicated with Check Required with something appropriate.

The high risk; the ones everyone wants to see. High damage but risky in that missing means you'll likely but let and stun yourself. Obviously Side Effect replicates this well.

The signature moves and finishers; These vary so wildly they could actually fit in the other categories, but they tend to be flashier and more about riling up the audience. If breaking a pin is a will save, maybe attach a will weakening effect to another attack that fits under another category?

Now this has me thinking about the different aspects of a wrestling match. The fighting in/around/under/over the ring and sometimes even the arena is only one part.

There are the entrances which serve to stoke the fans, raise some hype. There are the backstage interviews and interactions, not to mention the storylines and the wrestlers face/heel status.

Each type of match has its own rules and obstacles too.

All these things can play in to making an actual wrestling style of game using M&M (without necessarily restoring to Ultimate Muscle levels of silly).

The backstage stuff and storylines are great fluff for complications and earning hero points for the match and utilizing some other non combat skills which can be used to forge alliances, or break/subvert them.

The entrance since it's usually always similar I would think would just be a simple check to get an idea of audience disposition, which wrestler they are more likely to root for, perhaps providing a circumstance bonus on will saves when the crowd starts chanting.

Character popularity can be figured using social skills to which may give a circumstance bonus on the audience disposition check done with the entrances too.

And of course there is the heel and face status... a face and heel fighting each other has a different tone than two faces or heels facing off.

So many factors.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 am Reading this thread reminds me of old forum E-Feds I used to participate in. How nostalgic.

The way I see it, there are a few tiers of moves;
The basics; simple, not very damaging and easy to be reversed, but good for a little chip damage and the most reliable. Easy to replicate with basic attacks

The technical; more complex moves that can miss or fail that often require some set up but don't have heavy penalty for failure (besides perhaps being opened up to a counter assault). Can be replicated with Check Required with something appropriate.

The high risk; the ones everyone wants to see. High damage but risky in that missing means you'll likely but let and stun yourself. Obviously Side Effect replicates this well.

The signature moves and finishers; These vary so wildly they could actually fit in the other categories, but they tend to be flashier and more about riling up the audience. If breaking a pin is a will save, maybe attach a will weakening effect to another attack that fits under another category?

Now this has me thinking about the different aspects of a wrestling match. The fighting in/around/under/over the ring and sometimes even the arena is only one part.

There are the entrances which serve to stoke the fans, raise some hype. There are the backstage interviews and interactions, not to mention the storylines and the wrestlers face/heel status.

Each type of match has its own rules and obstacles too.

All these things can play in to making an actual wrestling style of game using M&M (without necessarily restoring to Ultimate Muscle levels of silly).

The backstage stuff and storylines are great fluff for complications and earning hero points for the match and utilizing some other non combat skills which can be used to forge alliances, or break/subvert them.

The entrance since it's usually always similar I would think would just be a simple check to get an idea of audience disposition, which wrestler they are more likely to root for, perhaps providing a circumstance bonus on will saves when the crowd starts chanting.

Character popularity can be figured using social skills to which may give a circumstance bonus on the audience disposition check done with the entrances too.

And of course there is the heel and face status... a face and heel fighting each other has a different tone than two faces or heels facing off.

So many factors.
heh- I used to E-Fed, too. I was in the IWO, which was so "big" it had its own "internet radio show" (ie. podcast before that was a name). I played a bickering pair of tag team champions, the Foreign Legion.

For comebacks, I was thinking of Healing (Limited to Self, Presence Check Required) for babyfaces, while heels were stuck with things like cheating, which gave them Stunned Afflictions, but were illegal.

I'm still trying to figure out how slam-type moves can be limited against certain sized dudes, like how much to charge for weighing too much for most guys to lift you? Maybe a Limited Immunity, with tiers depending on the strength of the guy opposing you?

Slams (vs) Strikes- Slams probably do more damage, but are harder to hit. Strikes, however, can be hit against anyone, anywhere, making them more accurate. But their flaw is that if you miss, you are vulnerable to counter-attack. Maybe a small Side-Effect?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I used to be in play-by-mail ones for a long time,before i ran into all this. ;)
Nostalgia for my pBm days aside(wierdly enough,my wrestler was named Halloween Jack and was gimmicked around All Hallows Eve.....*looks awkwardly at forum Halloween Jack*),let's see how a "typical" Entrance would go using this:

Wrestler A(Face): Comes out with entrance and no manager(we'll assume average roll's for Presence and/or Persuasion/Deception if they'd have it at all),gains a small crowd bonus of....Let's say +2 for 1 turn sounds about fair.
Wrestler B(Heel): Comes out with entrance and a devious female manager(again,for the sake of arguments,we'll assume an average roll like above but with a bonus of 2 for the manager hyping up said wrestler),also gains a +2 for 1 turn but the Manager would also gain it as they were involved in the entrance.

I'll pass it off to anyone else from here,as it's not my thread and it'd be rude otherwise..... :D
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

MacynSnow wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm I used to be in play-by-mail ones for a long time,before i ran into all this. ;)
Nostalgia for my pBm days aside(wierdly enough,my wrestler was named Halloween Jack and was gimmicked around All Hallows Eve.....*looks awkwardly at forum Halloween Jack*),let's see how a "typical" Entrance would go using this:

[

........I'm Ron Burgundy?

anyway....got to thinking....what about Raven (and guys like him)?

Obviously big deals in lesser feds, but mostly midcarders in the bigger leagues.....would you do like a pl 10 in ECW or like a 9 or 8 in WWF?
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:24 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:01 pm I used to be in play-by-mail ones for a long time,before i ran into all this. ;)

[

........I'm Ron Burgundy?

anyway....got to thinking....what about Raven (and guys like him)?

Obviously big deals in lesser feds, but mostly midcarders in the bigger leagues.....would you do like a pl 10 in ECW or like a 9 or 8 in WWF?
Unfortunately,you were Ron Burgundyed and had no knowledge of it.I'm so sorry.....*cries anime tears for Jack*

Anyhoot.....if it was me,the highest guy in Old-School ECW(i think it was either Tazz or Tommy Dreamer one) would be a PL 9.5,but all of them would have the "bleed easily" semi-permenant Affliction(basically,any called shots to the head that hit does double damage but only require a normal save).
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

that'd work.

It'd make Bam Bam Bigelow a pl 10, because that'd probably be pretty good on average but beastly for a lesser fed like ECW

and that also makes me think.....celebrities who take part in wrestling