M&M 3e Chain Lighitning!

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Flynnarrel

Re: M&M 3e Chain Lighitning!

Post by Flynnarrel »

Chris Brady wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm So Multiattack but can't used for single targets? I.e: It has to walked for multiple targets?
Yes, I'd put that as a limit on the Multi-attack Extra.

Damaged PR10, Ranged (+1/rank), Multiattack (limited to 'walking/arc' option) (+0.5/rank), for a total cost of [25PP]
"Something pithy this way comes."
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:22 pm
Chris Brady wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 pm So Multiattack but can't used for single targets? I.e: It has to walked for multiple targets?
Yes, I'd put that as a limit on the Multi-attack Extra.

Damaged PR10, Ranged (+1/rank), Multiattack (limited to 'walking/arc' option) (+0.5/rank), for a total cost of [25PP]
Considering you are giving up the single target "extra damage" and the covering fire options of Multiattack, that seems pretty fair.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

So let me get this straight, the Multiattack number is how many targets that can be hit per strike?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Chris Brady wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:59 am So let me get this straight, the Multiattack number is how many targets that can be hit per strike?
Nope. When you make your attack, you decide how many targets you want to jump the lightning to. The attack has a penalty on the roll equal to that number.

The rank of the extra you throw on there only correlates to the maximum damage rank you can use with it, which means in general, there is little ot no reason at all to go less than full ranks.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

So a player could say all the bad guys, and you make a check for each.
Shock

Post by Shock »

He could but if there's 10 bad guys, that would be a -10 on his attack.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Shock wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:48 pm He could but if there's 10 bad guys, that would be a -10 on his attack.
Exactly. Not exactly how chain lightning normally works, but this is as close as you'll get to the actual mechanics. You can always think of the increased penalty as being related to the casting of the spell making it harder to hold the spell together.
Chris Brady

Post by Chris Brady »

Going to have to look for a better option, then. Multiattack is going to cause a problem for the power.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well, the previously mentioned area extra, but at that point it's just lightning bolt rather than chain lightning. Or takedown, but that is limited to minions. There is split, but that reduces the blast's rank the more you split it.

There is no mechanic in M&M that perfectly mimics chain lightning's mechanics, the best you can do is a close facsimile or homebrew something outside the bounds of the mechanics given in the book (which might work depending on your GM for said game. And in THAT vein of thought, an extra that allowed you to basically attack again if you succeed on a hit is probably worth more than a +1 per rank. +2 seems right.)
Celondon

Post by Celondon »

When I built this sort of power for a character, I used the Split modifier. Hit one target, they took the full damage. Hit 2, each took half damage. Hit 3, each took 1/3rd damage. Not perfect, but it worked out well enough.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Celondon wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 pm When I built this sort of power for a character, I used the Split modifier. Hit one target, they took the full damage. Hit 2, each took half damage. Hit 3, each took 1/3rd damage. Not perfect, but it worked out well enough.
Split was a thought, but i figured between taking an accuracy penalty versus significantly reducing the damage for each extra target, the accuracy penalty would be preferred as easier to overcome. Not much you can do about damage outside of power attack (or reducing enemy toughness if you want to get indirect)
Ken

Post by Ken »

A. Chained Lightning: Ranged Shapeable Area Damage, Selective, Resistible: Dodge, Limited: first successful Dodge resistance check stops power
or
B. Chained Lightning: Ranged Shapeable Area Damage, Selective, Resistible: attacker's Attack check, Limited: first failed Attack check stops power

Version A is more book legal, and puts the onus on the targets to successfully dodge the attack. Version B simply switches the target's Dodge resistance check to the attacker's Attack check. Mostly it's a question of who has to roll the die, and whether the die rolls high or low.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Resistable already sets a DC, so your option B there doesn't work at all. Placing resistable on an Area powers gives the enemy two attempts at a resistance check.

Running an area attack so that each target has to make it's resistance attempt in order, while not normally how area attacks work, isn't the end of the world. You can fudge it that way if it makes you happy and it doesn't really break anything, and if anything is in fact limiting you. But with thae way you have that built, each enemy will have the standard Area Dodge attempt (10+effect rank) to half the effective rank, then they'll get a toughness AND a dodge resistance attempt (DC15+effect rank, or half effect rank if the area dodge check was successful)

So hey, if that sounds like how you want to run the power, fantastic. Run with it.

If you wanted something more like your option b there, use Check Required instead. The DC will be based on the Check Required flaw (10+1 per additional rank in the flaw) rather than attempting to hit the enemy's Dodge or other resistances. Check required works a little differently that the rank which you hit the opponent with is how much you beat the DC by, but it can still work in that if you miss this check the attack stops cold.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

And now, a musical interlude*:

Why this spell is somatic
It's systematic
It's pyromatic
Why it's chain lightning (chain lightning)
I'm going to cast a spell to deal with all those stupid clods
Oh yeah
(Keep casting whoa keep casting )
We'll get three silver pins, a bit of fur and crystal rod
(I'll get the items I'll try to get the items)
With sparks all over my hand they'll have no way to defend,
I get my wizard on their last hit point is gone
From Chain Lightning
Go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go, go
Go chain lightning you're burning up the orcish horde
(Chain lightning go chain lightning)
Go chain lightning I cast you via magic word
(Chain lightning go chain lightning)
You are supreme the orcs'll scream at chain lightning
Lightning, lightning, lightning
Lightning, lightning, lightning
Lightning

*sung to Greased Lightning from the musical Grease
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

*applauds*