MisterB's Homebrew System

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MisterB

MisterB's Homebrew System

Post by MisterB »

I have struggled with making my own game-system for a very long time. The only thing I have ever really got set in stone, was the attributes and the rating system. Which I'll share here, after that, I have never been able to really create the system to support it.

INDEX
- Attributes
- Skills and Talents
- Character Creation
Last edited by MisterB on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ken

Re: My own home-brew system

Post by Ken »

Are you aiming for a specific genre, or are you aiming for a generic system?
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
MisterB

General Attributes

Post by MisterB »

Attributes
Accuracy - Represents a player's aim, hand eye coordination Perception, and manual dexterity.
Brawn - Represents a player's physical power and physical toughness.
Cunning - Represents a player's cunning, resourcefulness, and natural intellect.
Expression - Represents a players' charm, and persuasiveness. Creativity.
Fortitude - Represents a players' courage, willpower, Resilience, Vitality. Conviction
Insight - Represents a players’ Vision, self awareness, Intuition.
Magic - Represents a player's innate ability to manipulate magical forces. As well as your ability to use Magical Items.
Prowess - Represents a player's natural combat ability.
Reflexes - Represents a player's balance, agility, speed, and raw athletic potential.
Standing - Represents a player’s social standing in society. The higher this score is, not only is your family more prominent, but you have a higher potential for starting money. Standing also represents a person's access to education as well.

Ability Score Measure
1- Those with this attribute score, are at the minimum capabilities for their attribute. The elderly, handicapped, or children are a prime example.
2- Those with a score of two, are below average. Teenagers often fit within this range.
3- The player is considered to be “average” at their attribute. Most adults have this level of Ability.
4 - A score of four is considered a High average with their appropriate attribute.
5- The player is said to be naturally gifted, or Excels in this attribute. Athlete’s or Brilliant folk possess this attribute level.
6 - Those with a score six are said to have a remarkable level of ability with this particular attribute. People of this level are Exceptional.
7- Those with a score of seven are considered extraordinary individuals, and possess a level of ability that is not usually seen.
8- Those with a score of eight are considered are at the Peak of their abilities, and are considered “Paragons”. Possessing the ultimate limit of their abilities.
9+ Super human

Skill Measure
1 - The player has just begun to learn something about this skill, and is considered an “Apprentice”.
2- The player is considered a “Novice” at this point in their training.
3- The player is considered “Adept” in their skill, which is the minimal training to be good at a “Trade”.
4- The player is considered a “Journeyman” in their training. The player is skilled enough to be considered a “Professional”
5- The player is an Expert at their skill, And makes a good living.
6- The player is considered an “Artisan” more than just good at their skill, they are highly recommended.
7- The player is considered a “Master” at their skill, only a few can match the character.
8- The player is considered a “Grand Master” at their skill.
Last edited by MisterB on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I have worked on a number of home brew systems over the years and tend to fine tune specific mechanics before ending up working on something else due to getting too busy to work on the system and coming up with new ideas.

I think the only system I actually built to completion (not including a system overhaul) was for a LARP game.
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

I had built and created 1 role-playing game in my early twenties. Today it would be a cluster-frag of stuff that doesn't make much sense anymore. And I am unsure how I would recreate it by today's standards. It was a D6 version of the white wolf system.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

What are you aiming for in your system? Something "realistic" or something more dynamic and action packed? Or something in between?

The one I was working on most recently was aiming more dynamic. Simple rules and broad attributes so mechanics flow smoothly and isnt too concerned about finer details. It was more intended to be able to recreate epic battles straight out of anime and video games.

I have found knowing what kinds of things you are hoping to replicate with the system helps define the mechanics you need.

The other thing to consider is just how customizable characters will be by the mechanics. Will there be classes? Races? Will it be point buy in any way? How much freedom do players have over how their character abilities work? Stuff like that.
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

I like simple game systems, but those that have a level of detail to them, that still allows for a wide variety of customization.
Things I have in mind are race packages, background packages, then occupation packages. Then you would then customize the character at the end.
I want it to be a level-less system, that is built entirely on spending experience points or whatever.

However, at the same time, I am also a very big fan of letting the dice do the talking.
I enjoy games where the system allows for fluid and quick gameplay.
MisterB

Ideas about Skills & Talents

Post by MisterB »

TASK RESOLUTION
Roll 2d8 and compare it to the total action value (TAV), which is equal to your Attribute + Aptitude Ranks. If you roll equal to or less than your TAV you succeed at your action.
Opposed Rolls. Roll 2d8 + Attribute (or Aptitude). The highest action result wins.
“Natural” Rolls. The score right from the dice without any modifiers.
Critical Results. When the player rolls, the exact value of your Total Action Value.
Heroism. After rolling, you can spend 1 point of Valour to add a +2 to your TAV or to reroll from scratch.
Difficulty. Certain factors can change the difficulty of skills. If a certain task is easy, you raise your TAV by 3. If a certain task is difficult, reduce your TAV by 3. If the task is Extremely difficult, reduce your TAV by 6

Accuracy Based Aptitudes
Acrobatics. Training in activities rely on balance and grace.
Archery. Trained in using bows or crossbows.
Firearms. Training in the use of. Firearms.
Legerdemain. The ability to escape restraints, pick pockets, or palm small objects.
Thievery. Training in larcenous arts. Such as lock picking and picking pockets.
Thrown Combat. Training in throwing weapons.

Brawn based Aptitudes
Athletics. Training in Swimming, Running, Jumping, Climbing.
Blocking. Skill at using a shield to block an attack,
Driving. Training with driving vehicles, or carts.
Menace. Your ability to scare or intimidate others using your physical presence.

Cunning Based Aptitudes
Astronomy. Trained in the observation of the stars, and astrology. And their influences.
Cosmopolitan. Trained in dealing with merchants, running a business, or getting a good deal.
Craftsman. Training in the creation of trade-items, such as cooking or tailoring.
Engineering. Training in scientific endeavors
Gambling. The practice of playing games.
Herbalism. This s the skill to make non-magical potions and remedies. None as powerful as actual magical potions, though.
Lore. Training in a specific area of expertise. History, Archaeology, etc
Medical. Training in the use of first aid, or performing medical procedures.
Mongering. The ability to gather information without asking too many questions.
Streetwise. Training in survival of urban environments.

Expression based Aptitudes
Artistry. Trained in an artistic endeavor such as painting, Poetry.
Charisma. Training in the ability to persuade others, through personal magnetism and charisma.
Command. Training in tactics, inspiring others, leadership, or intimidation.
Deception. To deceive or lie convincingly, as well as the skill to disguise, or perform scams on others. Or the ability to forge documents.
Husbandry. The skill dealing with animals, such as beasts of burdens. And domestic animals.
Intimidating. Trained in manipulating others, with verbal abuse.
Performance. Training in creative arts such as Acting, dancing, singing, poetry, or musicianship.
Seduction. Trained in manipulating those that find you attractive.

Fortitude based Aptitudes
Diseases
Toxins
Exposure

Insight based Aptitudes
Awareness Training in being aware of your surroundings.
Detection. The power of observation, noting facts, Investigation, Searching.
Hunter. Training in survival and finding food.
Navigation. Training in the use of water vehicles.

Magic based Aptitudes.
Alchemy Training in the creation of advance formula. Such as the creation of magical potions, and the transmutation of matter.
Arcana. Proficiency in arcane lore. You can use this to identify magical items.
Artifice. The ability to create magical items.
Conviction. The ability to call upon divine intervention through strength of will.
Sorcery. The skill to use magic on some innate level. Often this is some form of mysticism. The power of the mind, Illusions. Altering the physical body in some way.
Thaumaturgy. The fine art of casting spells through the use of foci, and other scientific processes. Such as books, and sigils.

Prowess based Aptitudes
Blocking. Training in the ability to bash with a shield, or to block incoming attacks.
Melee Combat. Training in all kinds of one-handed or two-handed weapons.
Parry. The use of a weapon to deflect an attack.
Unarmed Combat. Training in the use of wrestling or hand-to-hand combat.

Reflexes based Aptitudes
Climb. Trained in scaling a variety of surfaces.
Dodge. Trained in avoiding ranged attacks.
Evasion. Training in evading melee attacks.
Piloting. Training in the use of aircraft.
Riding. Trained in the riding of beasts of burden.
Stealth Training in the ability to hide or move unseen and unheard.

Standing based Aptitudes
Affluence. The ability to persuade others by using your station or wealth.
Etiquette. The player has knowledge of the social court system and how to behave.
Heraldry. Knowledge of the noble houses, their banners, etc.
Last edited by MisterB on Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MisterB

Character Creation Guidelines

Post by MisterB »

Determine Attributes
All attributes start with a value of 3. Players then spend a number of experience to bolster their scores, this is usually 30 points. It costs 4 experience to raise a score by one point. You may also gain 3 experience by voluntarily reducing an attribute below a score of 3, this is to reduce the chances of taking advantage of the system. To raise an attribute above 6 the experience cost raises to 5, instead of 4. A player may also spend this experience to raise their Wound threshold or Luck scores. It costs 3 experience to raise either by 1 point.

Wound Threshold
A measure of your capacity to withstand damage or punishment.
Formula: Fortitude + Agility + 4

Defense
A measure of your ability to defend yourself, by dodging, evading, or blocking.
Formula: Agility + Relevant Skill

Luck/Hero Points/Destiny (Whatever , lol0
A measure of your ability to influence the events around you. This can be raised through gameplay but resets at the start of an adventure.
Formula: Confidence
Last edited by MisterB on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Woodclaw

Re: MisterB's Homebrew System

Post by Woodclaw »

I think that Medium was meant to be 16, not 26.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

Fixed
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

Character creation and Derived Traits added, attributes and task resolution updated.