[M&MS 3e] Overwatch builds

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
damocles23

[M&MS 3e] Overwatch builds

Post by damocles23 »

Does anyone here have some build for the characters? One of my players would like something similar to Moira' the new hero, and we have some doubts on how to stat it. We're thinking of applying the fades modifier to the healing but we disagree on how to link it to the damage.
EpicEclipse

Re: [M&MS 3e] Overwatch builds

Post by EpicEclipse »

Statting Overwatch characters is a tricky concept since they use mechanics that simply don't exist in M&M.

For Moira, her biotic healing energy resource bar for example. That said... brief breakdown how I would think her power work...

Biotic Grasp - Damage effect with reach and Reaction healing
Healing Stream - cone or line Area healing with selective
Fade - Teleport 1 with a flaw you must be able to physically reach the spot you are teleporting to

The orbs are tricky. I'd almost opt to make it a summon effect that summons an orb statted as an energy construct with an energy aura that had fades on it so each time it hits the energy aura gets weaker until it drops and have a quirk on summon that it automatically goes away when the aura expires. (Not really worth a flaw imho). Same thing for a healing orb just with a healing aura.
Doc chaos

Post by Doc chaos »

Haven't played overwatch, but there is a set of Team Fortress 2 builds out there. For 2e. A lot more gritty than Overwatch at PL 8. Overwatch seems like PL9 & 10.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

You're in luck! Kreuzritter is actively building them right now: https://roninarmy.com/threads/62-Kreuz- ... er/page409
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'll also be building the characters and posting them later this month. One of the trickier things is what counts as Devices and what counts as Equipment- it's a future time, so some of them have specialized gear that's probably just their version of Equipment... but some of this stuff is CRAZY.

The "Ultimates" are pretty simple- either Unreliable (5/day) for unique powers, or simply explain it away as Extra Effort/HP spending, since that's basically what they are in-game. You really have to hand-wave some stuff away, of course.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I would definitely say use extra effort for ults. I mean, it is worth noting that characters are more than the sum of their mechanics in the game after all.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am I would definitely say use extra effort for ults. I mean, it is worth noting that characters are more than the sum of their mechanics in the game after all.
Reaper and others are definitely using Extra Effort. Others are using entirely different gear, though.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Just some thoughts on the ults from the top of my head while at work. I did not reference any book directly while doing this, it's all from memory so there may be errors here and there.

Ana: Enhanced Traits, Affects Others
Bastion: Morph, Metamorph, mainly more armor and reconfiguring his gun to aoe blasts maybe with penetrating
DVA: AE a big bomb on her summoned mech
Doomfist: Leaping with an slam attack linked to affliction (impared, disabled, transformed(toughness 0)) lesser conditions limited to toughness saves, instant recovery and a reaction area damage on the landing (this attack would utterly devestating to someone caught at the centre of it, as Doomfist's ult actually is and generated the aoe hit or miss. It's actually a good representation of his ult imho)
Genji: Sword (which can be AE'd from his shurikens) which is basically just penetrating slashing with takedown. Alternatively aoe damage limited to reach. May be frowned on though.
Hanzo: Line AoE that somehow ignores/goes through walls/ground/barriers.(i could make this more accurate but it would be more complex using summon with an incorporeal dragon spirit with an energy aura that does selective damage and limited to forward movement)
Junkrat: could either be a distracting summon, oooor remote sensing with a perception ranged aoe. Personally like the latter more. Less fuss with summon the better.
Lucio: Enhanced trait, Impervious toughness might seem appropriate, but I would honestly go deflection due to how short the barrier life is with it's dropoff
McCree: Improved Aim and Ultimate Aim with Damage, Multiattack
Mei: AoE Affliction (vulnerable&hindered, defenseless&immobilized), limited degree, additional condition
Mercy: Morph, Metamorph, possibly added in from the Holding Back advantage ti add in all the upgraded abilities, aoe in healing and power streams, flight, enhanced regen, more rezzes. It doesn't seem like she uses the full capacity of the valkyrie suit unless push comes to shove. Old ult would have been aoe rezzing heal.
Moira: Selective line Area damage linked with selective line area healing and regen for herself with source(damaging foes with beam)
Orisa: Summon super charger -> enhanced trait to nearby allies. An area of granting power attack? Or something like just the affliction I have for Doomfist(above) but affects others (allies) so they all have to use it themselves or have it link to their attacks automatically.
Pharah: shapable AoE damage with concentration and Distracting
Reaper: sphere AoE damage with reaction healing
Reinhardt: cone aoe affliction limited to ground level
Roadhog: cone aoe damage with affliction or move object depending how you want to go it.
Soldier 76: Perception Affliction (resisted by dodge, vulnerable, defenseless), alternate save, insidious, subtle, sustained, unreliable(uses), instant recovery
Sombra: AoE nullify technological weapons/devices/abilities (but not robots or omnics themselves)
Symmetra: Summon barrier or teleported. Barrier would be a deflect power focused device with senses to see through walls and such to provide such deflection. Teleported would be a simple teleported limited point to point.
Torb: Enhanced Traits affects self and turret only to enhance attack with multiattack and stack up armor and a burst of healing.
Tracer: AoE Damage with a little reach for the toss
Widowmaker: Senses (Penetrates concealment, counters concealment) affects others also, area (perception using the idea that communication link can function as being able to perceive one you are linked with)
Winston: Morph, Metamorph. Drop intellect stuff for big kickback attacks. Move objected limited away at close range works well linked to strength attacks.
Zarya: Move object, area, limited direction (to center of area)
Zenyatta: AoE regeneration, affects others. Or healing if you don't like regen as many do not. Both work. Would be concentration duration. Probably give some kind of personal defense for himself. Immunity to attacks is basically 80 points according to the power profile. I'd be more inclined to just make him incorporeal while using this. Cheaper and "affects incorporeal" is rare and doesn't appear to be a thing in Overwatch anyways
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:01 am
EpicEclipse wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 am I would definitely say use extra effort for ults. I mean, it is worth noting that characters are more than the sum of their mechanics in the game after all.
Reaper and others are definitely using Extra Effort. Others are using entirely different gear, though.
That's fine really. Stunting a new device off an existing device isn't a big deal when its understood the character HAS the device on them but for whatever reason can only use it in certain circumstances. Needs to power up, has limited use time, etc. They still have a limited number of power points to work with for the stunt and reasonably you could rule they may not apply easily removable to the stunt as it is just a stunt and treat any disarming or disabling of the stunt device as a complication.

You'll notice though for most of the ults that introduce new gear, I used the summon power since most of them are deployed and function autonomously. The one exception is Genji who pulls put his big sword, goes nuts for a few seconds, then puts it away. His is better handled as a stunt off his shurikens but done as an area sword attack (because as we all know he dashes around like a madman while using his ult. )
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Yeah, I should preface this by saying I've never played the game, and can only go by Wiki descriptions. I haven't made it through all of the characters yet.

We're on close to the same page for many of the characters. I'm going more "Perception-Ranged Damage" on Soldier: 76's Ultimate, though. Tracer is definitely using simple gear (Equipment, even) for hers. Bastion's is... annoying. Where did you get the Affliction for Doomfist's? It seems to be a standard Area Damage thing to me, unless you're ramping it up for extra damage, since it can one-off guys in the center.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:46 pm Yeah, I should preface this by saying I've never played the game, and can only go by Wiki descriptions. I haven't made it through all of the characters yet.

We're on close to the same page for many of the characters. I'm going more "Perception-Ranged Damage" on Soldier: 76's Ultimate, though. Tracer is definitely using simple gear (Equipment, even) for hers. Bastion's is... annoying. Where did you get the Affliction for Doomfist's? It seems to be a standard Area Damage thing to me, unless you're ramping it up for extra damage, since it can one-off guys in the center.
Fair enough. I've played since about a month or two after the game launch.

With regards to Soldier, the reason for the affliction over just perception ranged damage is his rate of fire and damage don't change, so it doesn't really make a ton of sense to lower his damage potential from a multiattack damage for a primary attack to perception damage that cannot benefit from multiattack at all. It's your build and all, just giving my perspective and the reasoning behind the affliction. Perception range damage would work if you're not giving him multiattack in the first place though. So matter of preference i guess. I just really like that affliction set-up. >.>

Tracer's bomb is really just a slightly delayed AoE damage attack. Literally just slap trigger (next round) on a stunt and you're golden for her. She's one the easier ones in my opinion to just use a power stunt off her pulse pistols.

Bastion's got to be one of the easier ones since his kit is so straight forward. What are you having trouble on with it exactly? I'd give his normal mode regular non-multiattack damage, sentry mode grabs multiattack but loses mobility, he can self-heal and his ult gives him greater damage resistance, more armor and AoE blasts for his attack. (Technically, they do more damage to the initial target than those in the blast zone. Can do this one similar to Doomfist, but on a MUCH lighter scale, removing the affliction entirely and splitting the damage from the primary target and the AoE blast so only the primary target gets the full ranks.)

And yeah, Doomfist's affliction + damage for the primary target is intentional to annihilate whatever gets hit. The intention, which I forgot to post before, is that the primary, single target attack with very high ranks and low accuracy trade off, like +/-4 or 5 (depending on the PL you are going with). It's meant to be very inaccurate to hit that primary target, but if it DOES hit, it's a big BIG hit. You could even add Resistable to the primary damage and affliction to give them a secondary chance to evade it with dodge. Like I said, it's supposed to do a LOAD of damage, but the odds of hitting that primary target are also meant to be very low (With a HUGE payoff if it DOES hit, like against a helpless foe, which is, once again, accurate for the game. Ana sleep darts someone, or Zarya ults and holds someone in place and BOOM! Doomfist drops the fist.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ah, I see what you mean about Soldier 76. I wasn't thinking about Multiattack and the lesser damage potential.

With Bastion, my issue was that his Tank Ultimate is his priciest form, and thus, the default one. so how do I make that Unreliable? Slap it on ALL of his "Tank Stuff"? Make it cheaper so it can be a Limited Metamorph?
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Well.... let's see..

Bastion has three modes, Recon, Sentry and his ult Tank. Most of them have shared abilities, such as healing. Sentry and Tank has a passive called Ironclad which gives damage reduction, and Tank adds on some extra armor as well. In Sentry mode he is immobile, so probably best used as a complication given that he can get out of Sentry mode on a whim.

This is based on a PL8 basis, since that's where I would put Overwatch characters.
RECON MODE:
[16] Damage 8, Ranged

SENTRY MODE:
[19] Damage 6, Accurate, Multiattack, Ranged
[26] Immunity 80 (Toughness effects), Distracting, Limited(Half Effect), Quirk(Weak Spot)

TANK MODE:
[16] Damage 8, Area(Burst), Ranged, Unreliable(5 uses)
[27] Immunity 80 (Toughness effects), Distracting, Limited(Half Effect)
[ 2] Protection 2 (Added to base level Protection)

So I actually come up with Sentry being the more expensive mode by default. I ended up adding a little extra Protection to make the difference here. It's 45 points, which based on a PL8 120pp build is quite a chunk. I'm not sure he could be built well on a strict budget, but yeah.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, interesting. I was making "Immobile" into a HUGE Flaw, but if he can pop right back out of it, then it's not so bad. It's possibly I can make the "Tank" mode a lesser-cost one then.

I'm with you on Moira- I'm thinking that Coalescence "Ultimate" of hers is a HUGELY expensive Line Area Damage/Healing effect. Like, it's more than sixty points- easily the priciest thing in the game in terms of powers.

You have some pretty solid ideas on building characters- you ever go to the "Character Sheets" page? I'd love to see you put some stuff in there :).
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Nah, never been there, well, for my own building anyways. I mean, it could be fun I suppose building things without too much concern for build point budgets. I do like to figure out puzzles on how to put certain things together from other media.