[M&M3E] Presence

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Davies

[M&M3E] Presence

Post by Davies »

Science is a means of talking ABOUT the universe that binds it to a common reality. Magic is a means of talking TO the universe in words that it cannot ignore. The two are rarely compatible.

Would making Expertise: Magic based on Presence, in addition to 'performing arts' Expertises based on that ability, make it a more attractive ability to purchase?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Shock

Re: [M&M3E] Presence

Post by Shock »

There is a paragraph in the description of the Expertise skill that suggests that some uses of Expertise could be based on other abilities than INT. I'm a big fan of the Expertise skill just because it can be used as a "package" skill to encompass skill sets that aren't very clearly defined in the game. In some universes, using Presence for magical ability could make a lot of sense.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

I'd think Presence would also be the attribute used for gathering information with the Investigation skill. Or using a skill like Acrobatics or Sleight of Hand to perform for a crowd. I'd also make Dexterity the attribute for using the Technology skill to pick locks or disarm traps, but that's just me. Dexterity and Presence are the two attributes you have to work the hardest to get any use out of.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Davies wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:29 am Science is a means of talking ABOUT the universe that binds it to a common reality. Magic is a means of talking TO the universe in words that it cannot ignore. The two are rarely compatible.

Would making Expertise: Magic based on Presence, in addition to 'performing arts' Expertises based on that ability, make it a more attractive ability to purchase?
I think it would depend on how magic works in the setting or what type of magic is being used, but it certainly does seem fitting. I do like the mechanic, I think it was in the Power Profile, where the Summoning power required a Presence check to see if it would cooperate with you.
RainOnTheSun wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:01 pm I'd think Presence would also be the attribute used for gathering information with the Investigation skill. Or using a skill like Acrobatics or Sleight of Hand to perform for a crowd. I'd also make Dexterity the attribute for using the Technology skill to pick locks or disarm traps, but that's just me. Dexterity and Presence are the two attributes you have to work the hardest to get any use out of.
Yea, I like skills working this way too, makes more sense to me.
Formerly luketheduke86
MisterB

Post by MisterB »

I like the idea
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Yeah Id say you can use assorted attributes in place of Int for Expertise. Long as its a common sense use of the skill, and the GM agrees of course.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories