Strange Things

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

Strange Things

Post by Miracle »

Say you have a Healing power, but it turns the recipient green permanently until the color change is nullified with the correct descriptor. Or a Damage power that turns the target matte black until the damage from it is cured.

Would these be complications? Quirks? Just descriptors?
Davies

Re: Strange Things

Post by Davies »

Miracle wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:42 pm Say you have a Healing power, but it turns the recipient green permanently until the color change is nullified with the correct descriptor. Or a Damage power that turns the target matte black until the damage from it is cured.

Would these be complications? Quirks? Just descriptors?
I would treat the former as a Quirk, the latter as probably a Feature -- I can see circumstances where that would be advantageous for the user of the effect.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

If you want to turn somebody permanently green, I think it should be more than 1pp.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay, then, how much should it cost to change a character's color, automatically, no saving throw? And before you refer to Transform, note that power affects objects, not characters.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Affliction has a Transform option as one of the third degrees. But it does have a saving throw.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
Davies

Post by Davies »

And you have to fail it by 10 or more to get that result, and it's more for "turn to stone", "turn to small helpless animal", "forget everything that just happened", and other "you're temporarily out of the game" results. Making someone look slightly different is not as big a deal as that.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

To me it seems that what you'd want is Morph 1, for a single other appearance (you, but green or some other consistent cosmetic change), bought as an Attack (+0), and Permanent instead of Sustained (+0), linked to whatever other power you want to have the effect. 5 points, or 10 points if you link it to a ranged power. A DC 11 save is easy to resist, but for something that lasts forever, it probably should be. For a beneficial power, like Healing, I could see the need to link it to the color change as meriting a Limited flaw for a discount. For an attack, maybe not: if you're trying to hurt someone, you probably don't mind embarrassing them too.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Honestly to me that's a Quirk barely worth 1pp

it has not combat value, doesn't hinder the target beyond socially for a bit, and at worst makes them a little embarrassed to be seen in public and as long as the element needed to change the color back is easy to come by Id barely rate it a quirk.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories