Random Joule-ery. (Jewelry, get it?)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Skaramine

Random Joule-ery. (Jewelry, get it?)

Post by Skaramine »

Okay, this started out as some kind of obsessive note taking on one of my favorite characters - Monica Rambeau. One of the things I loved about her was that she had some quite unique and potent powers - she even went toe to toe with Zeus for a bit.

Now, wiki and the Marvel Wikia both rate her energy discharge, in terms of force beams, as the equivalent of 300 tons of TNT.

So, I tumbled down the rabbit hole a couple of times into how many joules is that, and thus, working backwards to get some kind of conversion of her power's limits.

Long story short, via math, a 300 tons of TNT equivalent force beam is 1.25 teraJoules of energy. And TNT is 80% as powerful as dynamite, meaning that's 1 teraJoule out of all that force/energy conversion.

Going backwards, 1 stick of dynamite produces 1 megaJoule of energy. The book/game system puts 1 stick of dynamite at Damage 5.

Monica, at her new hero push levels, could likely drop a hero point and power attack for extra effort to get up to the damage of 300 tons of TNT, which factored out to be Damage 25.

So, pre-injuries putting her out of the limelight as an Avengers leader, we could rate Monica at an 18 Damage array naturally.

This is all sort of trying to make real world science fit to a game system, but, I figured, I made a chart, and I'll share it.

Also, Joules = Watts, for electrical power output ideas. Also, yes, I know the scale's off, but this is more a specifically general scale.

Damage or rank/ Joules / TNT equivalent in kg / TNT in lbs
1 / 60 kJ /
2 / 120 kJ /
3 / 250 kJ /
4 / 500 kJ / .2 kg
5 / 1 mJ / .4 kg / .8 lba
6 / 2 mJ / .8 kg / 1.5 lbs
7 / 4 mJ / 1.5 kg / 3 lbs
8 / 8 mJ / 3 kg / 6 lbs
9 / 15 mJ / 6 kg / 12 lbs
10 / 30 mJ / 12 kg / 25 lbs
11 / 60 mJ / 25 kg / 50 lbs
12 / 120 mJ / 50 kg / 100 lbs <=== the usual PL10 Energy Projector.
13 / 250 mJ / 100 kg / 200 lbs
14 / 500mJ / 200 kg / 400 lbs
15 / 1gJ / 400 kg / 800 lbs <=== Superman's in DCU Heat Vision.
16 / 2 gJ / 800 kg / 1600 lbs
17 / 4 gJ / 1600 kg / 3200 lbs
18 / 8 gJ / 3 metric tons / 3 tons
19 / 15 gJ / 6 tons/ 6 tons
20 / 30 gJ / 12 tons / 12 tons
21 / 60 gJ / 25 tons / 25 tons
22 / 120 gJ / 50 tons / 50 tons
23 / 250 gJ / 100 tons / 100 tons
24 / 500 gJ / 200 tons / 200 tons
25 / 1 tJ / 400 tons / 400 tons
26 / 2 tJ / 800 tons / 800 tons
27 / 4 tJ / 1.5 kt / 1.5 kt
28 / 8 tJ / 3 kt / 3 kt
29 / 15 tJ / 6 kt / 6 kt
30 / 60 tJ / 12 kt / 12 kt <=== Little Boy Atom Bomb
31 / 120 tJ / 25 kt / 25 kt <=== The Fat Man Atom Bomb

And once we get into Atomic blasts, I'm certain we've reached the top of the "normal scale." Especially since we'll get to PetaJoule's as well.

Soooo.... whaddya think? More sleeping pills, less minutiae? :lol:
Last edited by Skaramine on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Re: Random Joule-ery. (Jewelry, get it?)

Post by Davies »

Additional data point for your chart, TOHOTMU rates Iron Man's repulsors as having an output of 150 lbs of TNT. I suspect Tony Stark's current repulsors are probably more powerful than that ...
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Davies wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 pm Additional data point for your chart, TOHOTMU rates Iron Man's repulsors as having an output of 150 lbs of TNT. I suspect Tony Stark's current repulsors are probably more powerful than that ...
I was looking for that factoid. Nice how that rating gives him ranged damage 12 easily, if not 13 which makes sense for his throwdown beside the other Avengers against Korvac.

I'm going to have to think that they had an error on Monica and she really goes for 300 lbs of TNT, because otherwise, Monica is a low yield nuclear weapon.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

It's 300 tons in TOHOTMU, too. I suspect Monica has Extraordinary Effort as well as Power Attack, and that her "basic" damage rank is 16. With a base attack bonus of 8, she's a PL 12 and it's understandable that she was recruited for the Avengers immediately after her origin.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Ugh. I skipped from Joules to megajoules, no kilojoules. Ugh.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

According to a source that I'm not at liberty to disclose, the USS Enterprise's phaser arrays each produce a 30 GJ output, placing its linked Damage and Weaken Toughness effects at level 20, with "full phasers" probably constituting a +2 Power Attack to produce a level 22 effect.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Davies wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:52 pm According to a source that I'm not at liberty to disclose, the USS Enterprise's phaser arrays each produce a 30 GJ output, placing its linked Damage and Weaken Toughness effects at level 20, with "full phasers" probably constituting a +2 Power Attack to produce a level 22 effect.
Oooh.

a) Which Enterprise? TOS? Movie? -D?
b) Would that happen to be the Star Trek Bible? Because that was where I learned that a hand phaser on stun can cook a turkey to deliciousness in 15 minutes.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Skaramine wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 am
a) Which Enterprise? TOS? Movie? -D?
b) Would that happen to be the Star Trek Bible? Because that was where I learned that a hand phaser on stun can cook a turkey to deliciousness in 15 minutes.
Movie-era, and no comment. ;)
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Given the projected strength of the Enterprise phasers, and the relative strength of Guardian to Superman, that DOES make the scene from the Star Trek X Men crossover when the crew felt Guardian punch the Enterprise.
Just call me Doug.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

I was reading about Astro Boy, and noticed his listed strength as 100,000 horsepower.

And I was all "hey! I've been also needing out on cars! And reading the output of classic muscle cars in both horsepower and kilowatts."

So I did the math on my scale.

100,000 horsepower comes out to 74 Megawatts.

That puts it between 11 and 12 on my scale. 50 tons to 100 tons, which matches most Paragons and Powerhouses.

But the best of the muscle cars are around 250 Kilowatts, which pushes a 3000 pound machine and a couple of 175 lb humans at up to 100 to sometimes 200 mph.

Strength 3 and speed 5. (So 250 kW on this scale easily handles Strength 3) but also gives push to an object lifted at Strength 7 (including the people and gas).

But that's on wheels, and even low strength can do things like throw X tons (a multiple of your normal strength) 30 feet.

I hate dropping into these unified theories.

Which means Torque might be added to this graph.
Just call me Doug.