Mutants and Masterminds in 3d6

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
RainOnTheSun

Mutants and Masterminds in 3d6

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Hello!

Well, uh, like the subject says. Has anyone tried it? Good experiences? Bad ones?

I really like this system, but sometimes the unreliability of the d20 annoys me. I'm thinking of trying the variant the next time I run something. I know I'd need to change the way rerolling with hero points works, and non-cumulative afflictions wouldn't see much use, but those seem like manageable tradeoffs.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Mutants and Masterminds in 3d6

Post by FuzzyBoots »

There was a thread on one of the prior boards. The primary issue is crit ranges, but if you assume that 16-18 is a crit, the probabilities work out pretty nicely. Hero Points are an interesting case, but I'd probably say to simply assume 6+2d6. The probability curves are similar. DCs don't really have to change much because the base DC is 10, with a 55% chance of hitting it with no bonus and 1d20 and 62.5% with 3d6. It's just those extreme ranges you have to worry about. Combat will involve more attrition with the chance of wounding someone of equal PL being 56.71% with each attack versus 1d20's 38.5%.
RainOnTheSun

Re: Mutants and Masterminds in 3d6

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Thanks for the site. It looks useful. I'm pretty sure attrition is what I want, at least for major setpiece battles. It's annoying when a lucky crit and a botched save end a fight right away, but it's disappointing when a player gets a good attack roll and then it doesn't do anything at all. I've been experimenting with Protection ranks with the Fades flaw, too. I think second edition called it Ablative.