Disembodied Minions?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Celondon

Disembodied Minions?

Post by Celondon »

I was thinking of making a character who has an AI assistant, a la Jarvis from the MCU or Blue Beetles Carapace.

My thought was to build this as a minion, but that feels kind of cheesy.

Code: Select all

Strength 0, Stamina 0, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 4,
Awareness 0, Presence 0
Advantages
Assessment, Eidetic Memory, Well-informed
Skills
Expertise: Nano-Technology 9 (+13), Insight 10 (+10), Investigation 9
(+13), Perception 4 (+4), Technology 9 (+13), Vehicles 2 (+2)
Powers
Artificial Intelligence
Communication: Radio Communication 3 (Alternate; Concentration)
Enhanced Trait: Enhanced Trait 3 (Advantages: Assessment, Eidetic
Memory, Well-informed)
Universal Database: Feature 1
Universal Translation: Comprehend 3 (Alternate; Languages - Read
All, Languages - Speak All, Languages - Understand All; Subtle 2:
undetectable)
Variable: Variable 1 (Limited: Senses Only)
Offense
Initiative +0
Grab, +0 (DC Spec 10)
Throw, +0 (DC 15)
Unarmed, +0 (DC 15)
Complications
Disability
Motivation: Responsibility
Rivalry
Languages
Native Language
Defense
Dodge 0, Parry 0, Fortitude 0, Toughness 0, Will 3
Power Points
Abilities 8 + Powers 12 + Advantages 0 + Skills 22 (43 ranks) + Defenses
3 = 45
Minion
So, my question is, is this "reasonable" or is there a preferred method of doing this that I am unaware of?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Disembodied Minions?

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I am generally not a fan of making minions that basically exist to offload utility powers and skills from the player. Not meaning to accuse you of doing that, but that's often how "NPC Assistants" turn out. You can mitigate it a bit by making the minion their own character, able to disagree with the protagonist, have their communication interrupted, get kidnapped, etc, but it still tends to feel a bit like getting a massive discount on powers that you use occasionally.
Celondon

Post by Celondon »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm I am generally not a fan of making minions that basically exist to offload utility powers and skills from the player. Not meaning to accuse you of doing that, but that's often how "NPC Assistants" turn out. You can mitigate it a bit by making the minion their own character, able to disagree with the protagonist, have their communication interrupted, get kidnapped, etc, but it still tends to feel a bit like getting a massive discount on powers that you use occasionally.
So, you're not a fan of the minion direction. How would you build an AI assistant, then?

My other thought was buying the skills/advantages via a Device and taking the quirk that it has it's own, separate personality. That feels a tad "hand-wavey" to me, though.

I need something in between these two ideas. :)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Celondon wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 pm
FuzzyBoots wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:17 pm I am generally not a fan of making minions that basically exist to offload utility powers and skills from the player. Not meaning to accuse you of doing that, but that's often how "NPC Assistants" turn out. You can mitigate it a bit by making the minion their own character, able to disagree with the protagonist, have their communication interrupted, get kidnapped, etc, but it still tends to feel a bit like getting a massive discount on powers that you use occasionally.
So, you're not a fan of the minion direction. How would you build an AI assistant, then?

My other thought was buying the skills/advantages via a Device and taking the quirk that it has it's own, separate personality. That feels a tad "hand-wavey" to me, though.

I need something in between these two ideas. :)
I've currently got 2 characters that use a Form of Minions,one villian&one hero.The Hero i got away with it by giving him the Summon Power,but the Villian is where i did something a little...wierd.I made him a "Possessing Entity" Type of guy(Kind-of like The Shadow King) that used "Proxies" to attack people with.

Here's what i have on them.I hope it helps you out! :)
Cerberus:
. Hades' Kennel: Summon 7 [extras: Horde (3), Multiple Minions (3), Variable Type (Hellhounds); feats: Dynamic]
Warhounds(3 Maximum) PL:3(Summomed Creatures)
STR-2 STA-2 AGL-2 DEX-0 FGT-3 INT--4 AWE-2 PRE--2
Perception 4(+6) Stealth 4(+6) Expertise:Pack Tactics 4(0)
SENSES 3(low-lt.Vision,Acute Olfactory,Tracking) 1pp/rank
FIRE BREATH 5(Ranged Damage,Blast) 2pp/rank
IMMUNITY 10(Flame&Heat,anything with "Fire"Descriptor) 1pp/rank
Improved Trip,Teamwork
Init+2 Unarmed+3(Damage 2) Fire Breath+5(Ranged Damage 5 DC20 Dodge)
Dodge+4 Parry+4 Fortitude+4 Toughness+2 Will+2

Abilities 10+Powers 23+Advantages 2+Skills 6+Defense 5=46pp each

Legion:
Powers: 44pp
"Mental Awareness” (Senses2 Mental Sense,radius )
“Possessing Intellect” (Mind Reading 8 Linked to area Mental Communication 2)
-“Psionic Scream” (Perception Range Damage 4+every 10 Proxies give a +1 up to a Max of +6 Resisted by Toughness )
-“Psychic Proxies” (Mind Control-Affliction 8:Resisted by Will,Dazed-Compelled-Controlled:Cumulative,Perception Range )
“Psychic Intellect” (Immortality 5-Limited:Fighting,Intellegence,Awareness&Presence only:Immune to Physical Hits while Disembodied-Insubstantial until he takes a host)
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

Because the A.I. doesn't really do anything besides give you information or status updates I don't think Minion is the way to go. I'd go with the second options. Buy some advanced skills, advantages, and maybe some ranks of Quickness [Mental], put it all in a container and then slap a Feature (A.I.) on to it.
Formerly luketheduke86
Celondon

Post by Celondon »

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I ended up not going with Minion. It cut into the overall effectiveness of the characters skills a bit, but...it doesn't feel as if I'm going against the spirit of the rules. :)