Actual Smartphone Cost (second and third edition)

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

Actual Smartphone Cost (second and third edition)

Post by Miracle »

A Smartphone is 2 equipment points. For that 2 equipment points you get: a phone (1), internet connection (1), audio and video recording (2), camera (1), data storage (1), apps (1+, several programs in an array). So really, it should be 7 or more equipment points.

What are your thoughts?
Ken

Re: Actual Smartphone Cost (second and third edition)

Post by Ken »

A computer is 1 EP. A cellphone is 1 EP. A smartphone essentially combines the two, for 2 EP.

Because, if one really breaks it down there should be modifiers for extra time and skill roll required and general reliability issues.

But that way lies madness. And to at least one gaming system I gave up on after a quarter of a century because that level of minutae isn't worth it.

Basically, there are enough ways to keep a smartphone or a computer from being an uber tool that, really I'd say the book's costs are on target. If they seem under valued, your GM isn't exploiting the "realistic object" nature of Equipment often enough.
My Amazing Woman: a super-hero romantic comedy podcast.

When the most powerful super hero on Earth marries an ordinary man, hilarity ensues.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

To put it in layman's terms while a smart phones umpteen dozen hundred functions might rate a devices cost.

the fact that it can be broken by some one looking at it funny, and the fact that a replacement smart phone can practically be brought at any local store with little more effort then plopping down the cash renders it equipment.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Two thoughts come out of these answers.

If Equipment is so easy to break, is it really feasible to build a Ghost Rider-type vehicle user?

Say I wanted to build a device that operates as a smart phone. Do I put Feature (is a a smartphone) or pay out of the nose for it?
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yes actually because in the Ghost rider case, the powers generally come in the form of the hero transforming the equipment. especially since any motorcycle could be used or depending on the build the ""Hell cycle"" just requires a regular ole motorcycle even a busted non working frame of one to use.

In the other case the device would have a simple feature that it can be used as a smart phone such as an iron man armor having smart phone capacity.

It stays in the devices cost because you cant just break the armor, and the local radioshack doesn't have powered armor on aisle 5
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

I guess Ghost Rider would be a poor choice in explaining what I was going for. More like Batman and the Bat-vehicles or Michael Knight and KITT or Tank Girl. Et cetera.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

in the batmobiles case it really is equipment despite all the amazing things it can do.

KITT on the other hand is actually a special case because one could make the argument that KITT is a separate character all by himself.

Catsi stories
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

KITT would probably be a minion or sidekick. Or even a player character if you want to go that way.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5