Affliction - Limited Degree and Minions

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
FuzzyBoots

Affliction - Limited Degree and Minions

Post by FuzzyBoots »

It's a rule that minions suffer the worst possible result with a missed save. Does this include Limited Degree with Affliction? And does the answer differ whether your Limited Degree is "No third degree" or "Only third degree"? I would think that if the former is the case, you'd probably have to decide what the third degree is against minions even though it would only come up with them.
L-Space

Re: Affliction - Limited Degree and Minions

Post by L-Space »

I'd say that they would suffer the worst possible result available, so if you have 'Limited Degree' then it would only take the 1st/2nd degree, since that's the only one available to you.

Honestly, not sure about the 'Only Third Degree' part. RAI I feel like they would just take the full effect if they fail by any amount. Though that does make it more useful versus minions then the 'Limited Degree' flaw at the same time cost.
Formerly luketheduke86
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Mental Power Profile wrote:Limited Degree: The Limited Degree modifier of Affliction (Deluxe Hero’s Handbook, page 151) may also limit the effect to the third degree only; the first two degrees of effect are simply “placeholders” for determining when the third degree is achieved but impose no conditions, such as an affliction that transforms the target at the third degree but has no effect before that point. For non-cumulative Afflictions, this means if three degrees of effect are not generated on the initial resistance check, the effect fails.
So, here's how I see it: barring a Progressive or Cumulative Extra, Third Degree Only would still have to fail for the attacker if they don't secure a Third Degree result because it's their Flaw to bear. OTOH, I'd make the Minion take the Third Degree if the attacker had bought Cumulative or Progressive.

For standard Limited Degree, e.g. 3e's Dazzle/Affliction, I'd say they go to 2nd degree if they fail the Resistance. Since the attacker took a Flaw restricting access to the Third Degree, the Minion doesn't go there either.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Shock

Post by Shock »

L-Space wrote:I'd say that they would suffer the worst possible result available, so if you have 'Limited Degree' then it would only take the 1st/2nd degree, since that's the only one available to you.

Honestly, not sure about the 'Only Third Degree' part. RAI I feel like they would just take the full effect if they fail by any amount. Though that does make it more useful versus minions then the 'Limited Degree' flaw at the same time cost.
I agree with this. Having a power a little more useful against minions just isn't a concern I would have unless it's a really low PL game. Especially when it would be near useless against non-minions.