Autofire and power attack...and an equipment question.

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Poodle

Autofire and power attack...and an equipment question.

Post by Poodle »

I am hopefully playing 2e soon and I have built a character that is equipment focused.

Question one. If I am autofiriing and using a power attack how do I calculate damage.
E.g I am firing a machine gun blast 6 on autofire. I get enough successes on my attack to add+3 damage. I also power attack to add+3 damage. Is my base damage considered to be 6 or 9. I assume 6 so that total damage would be 12 not 13.5.

Question 2. Equipment. How often do I get to change it or how do I replace it when it inevitably gets melted or broken?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
MacynSnow

Re: Autofire and power attack...and an equipment question.

Post by MacynSnow »

Me & Hoid got you covered Poodle!
Question One: Yes it IS a +6 instead of 9.

Question Two:NORMALLY you can replace them with equal pointed stuff between each session(letting you "Plan" for what you think you'll need next session), but i don't know how the GM'll rule it...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Bear in mind I haven't done much with 2e in years, so this might have been changed in an Errata or something that I've forgotten, but...

1A) When using an Autofire Attack against a single target, the amount by which your attack roll succeeds applies a bonus to the attack’s saving throw DC. In this case, a Blast 6 has a base saving throw DC of 21 (15+6) and since your Autofire bonus is +3 the end result is DC 24 (15+6+3);

1B) When you make an attack using the Power Attack Feat, you take a penalty of up to –5 on your attack bonus and add the same number (up to +5) to your attack’s saving throw DC. In this case, a Blast 6 has a base saving throw DC of 21 (15+6) and you've opted for a -/+3 Power Attack, for an end result of DC 24 (15+6+3);

1C) There is no restriction in the rules as written from combining Power Attack with Autofire. So you'll add both bonuses, for an end result of DC 27 (15+6+3+3). I hope the target remembered his kevlar cape!

2) From Mutants and Masterminds, Second Edition, page 134: "Replacing damaged or destroyed equipment requires only time, although the GM has the final say as to how much time. It’s easy to replace a lost item when the store is right around the corner, harder when it’s the middle of the night or you’re out in the middle of nowhere."

So this will be heavily dependent on the narrative situation in your game, how you've described the nature of your hero's equipment, and so forth. For example, when I'm out and about here in Gotham City and Firefly melts my favorite Batcycle, I can go back to the Batcave and after a few days Harold and Alfred will be able to get me a replacement. On the other hand, when I've fallen through a interdimensional portal and am stuck hanging out in Los Angeles with those West Coast Avengers weirdos and Bullseye steals all my batarangs, it's going to be a lot harder for me to get them replaced.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Ok thanks..of course we all know what happens next. They shrug it off and melt my gun.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Have you tried throwing a boomerang at them? It usually works for me.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Yup...the guy relying on equipment is destined for an ass whupping...although a tank; heavy bomber and technically a nuclear bomb might all count as equipment.

I always felt sorry for Black Widow and Hawkeye, The other members are Hulk, Thor, and even Tony Stark is pretty powerful. Robot Chicken Wars has a lot of fun riffing on Batman too. If it wasn't for his credit card I am not sure he would be on the team.
:I am Batman. Eat Batarang. Why are you guys laughing at me?" Meanwhile Superman can tow the moon out of orbit...
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The trick is knowing when you can best contribute to the mission by throwing batarangs or doing something else. Superman and the Flash are dumping 100+ PP into their Powers, the Batman has invested as much in Skills and Advantages (Feats in 2E speak). Never be afraid to walk away from a fight and let the flying bricks beat up the bad guys if you've got something else to work on.

Superman is just as much a tool in the Batman's arsenal as the batarangs and smoke bombs.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Equipment is dirt cheap. There's a tradeoff for having to pay so little for it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 am The trick is knowing when you can best contribute to the mission by throwing batarangs or doing something else. Superman and the Flash are dumping 100+ PP into their Powers, the Batman has invested as much in Skills and Advantages (Feats in 2E speak). Never be afraid to walk away from a fight and let the flying bricks beat up the bad guys if you've got something else to work on.

Superman is just as much a tool in the Batman's arsenal as the batarangs and smoke bombs.
I'm with Bg on this one Poodle. I'm a big fan of guys like The Phantom, Rocketeer, The Shadow, Doc Savage, Sky Captain, Sherlock Holmes, Rick O'Conell, Indiana Jones, basically the Classic Pulp Hero(it's why i wrote up Dr.Impossible). While some of them had powers, it wasn't their main resource. They used Knowledge and Tactics to take out much more Powerful foes(every one of Indy's planes would've worked if he hadn't been betrayed or talked out of it) whenever possible.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I hear ya. That is my favourite too. I like a more human level of conflict if that makes sense. Non psycho punisher and daredevil have more appeal to me than Superman.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Don't get me wrong, i love guy's like Superman and Batman,but With Kent's stories it's more 'bout him trying to be human. And this next statement might get thrown out of Wayne Manor, but Batman was just OVER-qualified to be a Crime Fighter tbh. Dudes like The Vigilante(Saunders, not Chase), Crimebuster, the Guardian, The Rose, Richard Dragon, The Question(Sage not Montoya), Bronze Tiger all are better Crimefighters than Bruce. They're never gonna have the track record or resources he will, but they make a bigger difference in their Areas than Batman ever will in Gotham.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

That depends tremendously on who's writing the books. With the Batman having been in continuous publication since 1939, often in a half-dozen or more monthly titles and countless limited run specials, he's been depicted just about every possible way there is to depict him. From the "Bat God" of Morrison's JLA, the camp goof-ball of the Sixties' "New Look," the street-level detective of Kane and Finger, the international anti-crime mastermind of Denny O'Neil, and a hundred more besides...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

That's true(i'll not go into Debate Mode here) i suppose.It really DOES depend on who's writing Mr Wayne.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I've been arguing about the Batman on this board (and the two that preceded it) for twenty years. I'm always ready for Debate Mode!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:34 pm I've been arguing about the Batman on this board (and the two that preceded it) for twenty years. I'm always ready for Debate Mode!
To be fair, i do the same with Pym or any Avengers team that get debated.Shall we cross blades then, my Ebony Blade vs. Your Batarangs? ;)