Autofire and power attack...and an equipment question.

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Poodle

Re: Autofire and power attack...and an equipment question.

Post by Poodle »

It is hard to make controlling ants seem cool. Shrinking is cool. I always wanted that power as a kid. In the avenger movies it almost seems like Tony Stark and Hawkeye swapped personalities. Hawkeye was always the joker.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Poodle wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:24 am It is hard to make controlling ants seem cool. Shrinking is cool. I always wanted that power as a kid. In the avenger movies it almost seems like Tony Stark and Hawkeye swapped personalities. Hawkeye was always the joker.
Yeah, the two actor just couldn't pull it off right unless they did it that way. IMHO, next to Shrinking, controlling Ants is the Coolest power Pym created. Most people are uncomfortable around Insect's anyway, so to be able to control entire Ant Colony's (which can number in the MILLIONS), each of which can pick up a truck on their own(see Ant-tony from the Ant-Man movies), and the implications get terrifying...
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Coolest power is a bit of a stretch..:) Certainly out of the ordinary though. As for an ant colony being able to lift a truck, that might be true but how high can they lift it. Ants are not very tall.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shrinking yourself... Meh, I could take it or leave it.

But a shrink ray that can reduce the target to ant-sized? Wow. Gimme that in a heartbeat!

I could never fathom why shrinking others was the sole domain of villains in comics. Seems like an incredibly potent tool for fighting crime.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:20 am Shrinking yourself... Meh, I could take it or leave it.

But a shrink ray that can reduce the target to ant-sized? Wow. Gimme that in a heartbeat!

I could never fathom why shrinking others was the sole domain of villains in comics. Seems like an incredibly potent tool for fighting crime.
Honestly, love my hommie Hank Pym but he NEVER used the "Ant-Man" skill set right or Pym particles in general. He could've been a Good Guy version of Harvey Stillwell(a Scientist that Jameson hired who made The Spider Slayer V-1, The Scorpion, The Fly, Equinox. He died from Scorpion), giving Aid to other Heroes he outfit's. Still let him go out with the Avengers(still using his stuff), just make it occasionally.One of the reason's i liked Avengers:United They Stand was that they treated Hank properly.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Pym suffers greatly from constantly being in the shadows of characters with similar gimmicks that the audience just plain likes more: Reed is more popular as “the smartest guy in the world,” Stark is more popular as “the inventor-adventurer,” and there’s a hundred other “team’s resident big guy” that are more popular than Giant-Man. Heck, he can’t even stake out a niche as “perpetually unlucky in love schmuck who somehow lands the super-model” since that’s Parker’s bailiwick.

Ant-Man was created to be the sort of Atomic Age science adventurer that were staples of the pulp magazines, drive-in movies, and comics during the Interregnum. Unfortunately for Hank Pym, this style of story was rapidly fading in popularity due to the return of more standard superheroics. Over at the Distinguished Competition, guys like Ray Palmer and Adam Strange found themselves in the same situation... Orphans of a genre that no one wanted to read anymore.

The Fantastic Four had similar origins as a science adventure team, but were able to make the transition to superheroics. Heck, it was in large part the Fantastic Four (and Spider-Man, the Flash, and Green Lantern) that ended the Interregnum’s doldrums for superheroics and birthed the Silver Age.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Which is Sad really, as those are some of my favorite types of heroes.