Dynamic Damage?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

Dynamic Damage?

Post by Miracle »

This question inspired by Jabroniville's Storm
Jabroniville wrote:"Weather Effects" Environment 8 (1/2 mile) (Cold, Impede Movement 2, Light, Visibility) (40) -- [58]
  • Dynamic AE: "Lightning Blast" Blast 11 (Feats: Indirect 1- From Above) (26)
  • Dynamic AE: "Lightning Bolt" Damage 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Line +2) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #1" Blast 11 (Feats: Dynamic) (Extras: 30ft. Burst) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Tornado #2" Blast 11 (Extras: 30ft. Cylinder) (34)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Storm" Affliction 11 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 120ft. Cone +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Burst" Affliction 11 (Strength or Athletics; Hindered/Prone) (Extras: Area- 60ft. Burst +2) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Instant Recovery) (12)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind Creation" Move Object 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (28)
  • Dynamic AE: "Wind" Features 2 (-2 Thrown Weapons, snuffing flames, etc.) (3)
  • Dynamic AE: "Blinding Fog" Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Extras: Attack, Area- 240ft. Burst +4, Selective) (17)
What happens if I mix up 5 ranks of Tornado 1 and 6 ranks of Tornado 2 to simulate a huge F5 tornado? Is the damage save +11 (combination of both), +6 (highest damage), or +5 then +6 (both of them)?
Jabroniville

Re: Dynamic Damage?

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, I hadn't thought of using it like this. The "Dynamic" is more to keep Environment effects going at the same time as Damaging ones.

Since you can only make the combined power cost equal to the top power in the array (40 pp), then you could probably make a combined one of about 5-6 ranks, 30 feet in width and height... like a Cylinder on top of a Burst, I guess. The max damage would only be +6, however, since otherwise the Area effect would cost too much.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

The simplest answer is that you can't do that since you have two different area shapes to contend with, and unlike 2e, the sizes of 3e's areas are fixed and not based on ranks in use. I'd veto it.

The simplest thing to do is to choose a Dynamic Array when there's a logical reason that one array slot diminishes when the other increases, e.g.

(D) Flight 6
(D) Super-Strength 6

This simulates lifting with Flight "strength" or "leverage." The more flight you divert into lifting, the slower you fly.

Or maybe Green Lantern can pull (MO) the satellite with his ring, and when doing so has less Blast at his disposal. Etc.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Jabroniville: Coincidentally, I watched Twister yesterday and found your Storm build today, hence the F5 question. Any suggestions for simulating that outside of cutscene powers? :P

badpenny: Noted. Thanks :)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Miracle wrote:Jabroniville: Coincidentally, I watched Twister yesterday and found your Storm build today, hence the F5 question. Any suggestions for simulating that outside of cutscene powers? :P

badpenny: Noted. Thanks :)
An F5 Tornado is likely 30-60 feet in a circle, but spirals up hundreds of feet high as a Cylinder. Though as a base "Cylinder" effect is 30 feet tall AND wide, then you could boost it up to Area 2 or 3 (120 feet wide/120 feet high). This leaves Tornadoes looking kinda "squat" compared to what they really are, so possibly you could go Limited Area and increase only the height.

However, Tornadoes have other effects- it's also a big Move Object kind of thing, as well as throwing all kinds of tiny debri around. You could add Multiattack Blasts as well. A character moving a Tornado could also apply "Shapeable" to make taller, skinnier ones.
L-Space

Post by L-Space »

What Jab and BadPenny said, with the added note that if you were trying to pull off an F5 type tornado I feel like it's good example of Storm using Extra-Effort. With 40 points in the array you could power stunt: Move Object 11: Area Cylinder +2 (60ft), Close range -1, Damaging +1, Limited: Direction (33pp). Hell, she has Extraordinary Effort so you power stunt and power it up to 12 ranks too.
Formerly luketheduke86