Last of the Independents: The Return of an Old Extra

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Davies

Last of the Independents: The Return of an Old Extra

Post by Davies »

Cinder wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:02 am I don’t know 3e that well. There is no equivalent to Independent? Hmm. Any complications on porting it over?
Davies wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:34 am The whole 'loses one point of effectiveness per round' element would make it work a bit oddly with the current set up for the duration of Afflictions, which stop working after 1 round at low levels or 1 minute at the highest level of effect, longer if they function as Concentration effects.
FuzzyBoots wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:49 am Independent was dependent on being able to increase the Duration of effects, which was removed in 3E (but not DCA). In 2E, you would have to add +2 in Increased Duration to get it up to Sustained before adding Independent, and it would mean a new save every turn, even if the target makes a successful save on an earlier round.
What follows is a very tentative idea, tear it to pieces.

Independent * +2/+0 cost per rank

This modifier changes an effect’s duration so that it no longer requires any action to maintain it, but is also not under the character's control in any sense. An sustained effect with this extra costs +0 points per rank, and no longer requires any action to maintain it. An instant effect with this extra costs +2 points per rank, and grants a new resistance check to overcome the effect every turn. Regardless, the effect lasts for a time value equal to its rank -- a rank 6 Independent effect will last for 8 minutes, for example. Any successful resistance check ends the effect for that target.

For a flat point cost of +1, the length of time that the Independent effect lasts increases by 1 time rank without increasing any associated saving throws. For a flat point cot of -1, the length of time that the Independent effect lasts reduces by 1 time rank without reducing any associated saving throws.

This extra cannot be combined with Reversible.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
FuzzyBoots

Re: Last of the Independents: The Return of an Old Extra

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Hmm... honestly, it seems a bit too powerful with attack effects. There would probably also have to be some clarification as to how the "save to overcome the effect" and "save against the effect" intersect, especially if it's the same save. Otherwise, the first time you don't take damage (or other effect), you've also overcome it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hm. Comparing it to Secondary Effect (+1 per rank, affects the target one additional time after the first successful attack) does make it seem a bit overpowered for only +2 per rank.

Baking in some additional limitations might help. What if ... each time the defender successfully resists the effect, not only do they take no effect on that round, the effect's rank decreases by one rank for the purposes of resistance on subsequent rounds? And when you buy the effect, you have to specify a terminating condition which will end it early, regardless of how long you push the duration? ("Do something to extinguish the fire" for an Independent Fire Damage effect, "kiss a princess" for an Independent Transformed Affliction, etc.)
Davies

Post by Davies »

Okay, having read Misfit Games' Better Mousetrap, which has a similar extra, I think I have a better idea.

Independent * +2/+0 cost per rank

This modifier changes an effect’s duration so that it no longer requires any action to maintain it, but is also not under the character's control in any sense. A sustained effect with this extra costs +0 points per rank, and no longer requires any action to maintain it. An instant effect with this extra costs +2 points per rank, and grants a new resistance check against the effect every turn if applicable. Regardless, the effect lasts for one round per rank of the effect. Any successful resistance check ends the effect for the target.

For a flat point cost of +1, the effect lasts for one round longer. For a flat point cot of -1, the effect lasts for one round less, to a minimum of 1 round.

This extra cannot be combined with Reversible, or any extra that changes the effect's duration from Instant or Sustained.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Nicely done!