Limited variable/selection power.

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
RUSCHE

Limited variable/selection power.

Post by RUSCHE »

I would like to model a power like limited varible. I could select from a pool of points to have limited set of powers at a time. I would like to have say 2 or 3 sets of powers I could switch to.
What limits could or should be imposed, is it power gaming?
Pl 10 is the setting limit with us being a super police force.

Thank you for any input.
FuzzyBoots

Re: Limited variable/selection power.

Post by FuzzyBoots »

If it truly is a limited list, I'd go for Dynamic. The catch is how to handle partial ranks. The general rule is that every effect in a slot should have at least one tank, even for something like a set of Senses or Movement and I personally think it should be proportional, roughly. If people want greater control, they split them into more array slots.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

FuzzyBoots wrote:If it truly is a limited list, I'd go for Dynamic. The catch is how to handle partial ranks. The general rule is that every effect in a slot should have at least one tank, even for something like a set of Senses or Movement and I personally think it should be proportional, roughly. If people want greater control, they split them into more array slots.
That makes more sense. I would like it to be versatile but not overly effective if that makes sense.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

And thank you for the response and insight.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

Variable doesn't have to be power gamey. It totally depends on how you're going to use it. If you're looking to have an answer for everything the GM throws at you, to pull any power out of your backside, then, yeah, it's power gamey.

Second, you can almost always build your concept cheaper as an array. This is especially true of big Variable types like animal shapeshifters. You'll spend way more points than you need to given 2-3 animals pretty much covers your bases.

Small Variables have a smaller surcharge, so they can be tempting. I still suggest you look at an array first. Only if you can't do what you want with an array look to a Variable.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

badpenny wrote:Variable doesn't have to be power gamey. It totally depends on how you're going to use it. If you're looking to have an answer for everything the GM throws at you, to pull any power out of your backside, then, yeah, it's power gamey.

Second, you can almost always build your concept cheaper as an array. This is especially true of big Variable types like animal shapeshifters. You'll spend way more points than you need to given 2-3 animals pretty much covers your bases.

Small Variables have a smaller surcharge, so they can be tempting. I still suggest you look at an array first. Only if you can't do what you want with an array look to a Variable.
Thank you. I wanted to stay away from the Power gaming temptation of it. I have played with those type of players and I find it fun sucking to say the least.. I think a array is the way I will try to go.