Physical Immunities and Mental Projections

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

Physical Immunities and Mental Projections

Post by Miracle »

Fire Man is physically made of fire. Psyfire does not actually set people on fire, but makes them think they're on fire. They have a fight. Does Psyfire makes Fire Man feel the burn?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Physical Immunities and Mental Projections

Post by FuzzyBoots »

If Psyfire has the Fire descriptor, I'd say the immunity would stop it, because it means people actually vulnerable to fire would suffer worse results because they believed themselves on fire, while Fire Man would know he couldn't be burned and would therefore avoid it. If it's doesn't have the descriptor, Fire Man would find himself in the situation of burning even though he knows no fire can hurt him, but he's still hurting. He can draw his own conclusions from there. :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Makes sense in my book.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
StarGuard

Post by StarGuard »

Descriptors baby ... the strength of M&M 8-)
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Is the descriptor fire though? It feels like fire but is not fire. It's the mental suggestion that you are burning. If not knowing what fire feels like is the only thing keeping Fire Man from feeling Psyfire's power, what keeps people who've never been burned from being immune to it?
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

The system is also effect based, so what is "thinking you're on fire" look like as an effect? If it's Illusion linked to Perception-ranged Damage, then the descriptor isn't fire, but a mental one that would be resisted by Will and someone with Immunity to Mental Effects wouldn't feel.

OTOH, if you were a pyrokinetic (mental) but started real fire, then Immunity to Fire would apply.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Miracle wrote:Is the descriptor fire though? It feels like fire but is not fire. It's the mental suggestion that you are burning. If not knowing what fire feels like is the only thing keeping Fire Man from feeling Psyfire's power, what keeps people who've never been burned from being immune to it?
^_^ Does it have the fire descriptor? If so, the descriptor is fire. It's pretty much as a simple as that.