Photoshopping Reality

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Miracle

Photoshopping Reality

Post by Miracle »

Changing something's or someone's appearance. Adding or erasing something or someone from the scene. Moving something or someone and sticking them elsewhere. Warping and filters.

Those are all good for the array. Suggestions on how to do them? Also, what would you do for protection or damage?
badpenny

Re: Photoshopping Reality

Post by badpenny »

Miracle wrote:Changing something's or someone's appearance.
Morph Attack
Adding or erasing something or someone from the scene. Moving something or someone and sticking them elsewhere. Warping and filters.
Some kind of movement attack, e.g. at the simplest physically moving them away (but they're still within reality). Or, Extra-Dimensionnally to truly remove them from (at least this) reality.
Those are all good for the array. Suggestions on how to do them? Also, what would you do for protection or damage?
The issue I have with these kinds of attacks is that they're unlike anything else in the game (that follows the damage economy) and IMO are better suited to fiction, or at a minimum a plot device, i.e. GM fiat, hand out an HP, and get to roleplaying.
Last edited by badpenny on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

Thanks for the advice, badpenny. I do tend to think with broad ideas. the whole 'computer artist mage' I guess is too broad a concept.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

It's just that, for me, I'm not a fan of what would be a Save or Die attack. Even something as simple as a Teleport Attack (away, not up high and then dropping them) is bad enough because for the person without high movement, that effectively ends their participation in combat when they suddenly moved even hundreds, let alone thousands, of feet away.

If you followed the premise of a Transform effect, that given a third degree failure is equal to being Incapacitated (assuming 3e rule set), then I suppose it doesn't much matter how you transform them. If they're a stone statue, "removed from reality" etc. at least they have a chance to "recover" from it after a minute when they get to make their resistance check.
Miracle

Post by Miracle »

I'm not a fan of killing attacks either. The protection and damage were for standard attacks and Toughness. I may have not explained myself well enough.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

I don't mean killing attacks when I say Save or Die. By that I mean, if you don't make the save, you're out of the game with one failed roll, e.g. by being Teleported a mile away when you have a 30 foot move action. That would take you a long time to get back into combat when it only lasts a few rounds (typically). You might be fully unharmed, but nevertheless you were removed from combat as if you'd been KO'd.

Using Transform, you have to fail to the same degree that would have otherwise Incapacitated you, so the "damage economy" is preserved.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Affliction(dazed, stunned, incapacitated) resist by fort, incurable (so leadership and treatment checks can't remove the conditions). Area burst, selective, affects objects.

The descriptor for the daze and stun are them flickering in and out of existence. Incapacitated are them removed from the scene. Objects are affected the same way. You could maybe flaw affects objects to be concentration duration or modify it so that the affects objects portion are Continuous, Fades so they come back in time.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

"Erasing From Reality" could theoretically just make them Incapacitated and Invisible, as perhaps the "memory" of them is still there (sorta like the "Undo" function in Photoshop).
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

I get your point BadPenny, but a really bad roll can end any participation, no? I`ve had PCs KO NPCs with one punch (non minion...) And been knocked down as a PC with one lucky shot/ unlucky roll.

The issue here (to me at least) is that the save is not a common one so the likelihood of success by the attack is increased dramatically.

A villian with such a power is interesting as the PCs have to find a way to defeat him without direct confrontation.
A PC with such a power becomes a challenge to certain villains that want to be the one to defeat him...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document