Unpacking the Autofire mechanics

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
badpenny

Unpacking the Autofire mechanics

Post by badpenny »

In my 2e overhaul, I'm thinking of folding in the Autofire mechanics into the base Attack check in lieu of Critical Hits. I haven't decided on whether I want to use the 2e or 3e approach, i.e. +1/2 over Defense vs +2/+5 for 2nd degree/3rd degree hit.

That leaves the Multiple Targets component and I was thinking of making it a maneuver available to everyone. IIRC, Champions calls it Spreading Your Attack. You take a penalty on all attacks equal to the number of targets and you can attack multiple targets in an arc as a full round action.

That feels balanced to me.

Thoughts?
Penny's Build Party - Playable builds - M&M 2.5 featuring Damage Roll combat
danelsan

Re: Unpacking the Autofire mechanics

Post by danelsan »

If you do make multi-attacking available to everyone, perhaps some sort of Extra or Feat would still be in order to represent things that are specially good at doing that?

Some options that come to mind, though I have not analyzed carefully if they might be under/over powered:

1) Limit the number of targets a character can try to hit if they don't have the multi-attack feat

2) A feat that removes [Feat Ranks] from the penalty with the use of a Hero Point

3) As a full Extra, keep the same penalties but gain Advantage when doing multi-attack against [not sure on number] or more targets

3) Kinda orthogonal take on it, but maybe there is space for a Feat that gives the option of attacking up to [Feat ranks +1] opponents without taking penalties, in exchange for not getting the extra damage from hitting beyond the targets' defense (as per the incorporated autofire mechanics)
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

In general, I think most attacks against multiple non-minion targets isn't really something I see within the four color genre I'm looking to emulate.

Traditionally, attacking multiple named targets is something that a villain does.

The main reason I'm folding Autofire into all attacks is to buff Attack up against being traded off against effect. OTOH, making it too good is just opening it up to exploitation.

Having to restrain yourself when Spreading your attack means you shoot less folks and you suffer less of a penalty. Buying a Feat or an Extra to allow you to do more isn't all that interesting since paying the cost isn't much of an issue when you have an Array available.

I need to do a little more playtesting.
badpenny

Post by badpenny »

I've decided to go with +2/+5 for two and three degree success for attack checks and fold the Multiple Targets component of Autofire/Multiattack into the second rank of Takedown.

I think that most heroes who attack multiple targets do so almost exclusively with minion-level opponents. Since area attacks target indiscriminately, it's self-correcting for heroes to throw those around (since the GM can include bystanders and introduce property damage complications). Selective Area Attacks are their own problem and at 4pp/rank is worthy of scrutiny.

But folding multiple ranged targets into Takedown seems right to me. It would, for example, allow Captain America to target multiple Hydra goons without bothering with goofy shapeable/selective/targeted area mechanics (that could also be used against multiple named targets, which he almost never does). Since I'm using Advantage against Minions and not Take 10/Routine checks, penalties to multiple targets presents a good balance.