Dimensionally Sharp Blade

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Doctor Vile

Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Doctor Vile »

I have a character whose sword blade is so fine and sharp that it can cut through dimensions. I also made it's damage save versus dodge instead of toughness to represent it doesn't matter how tough something is, the blade will just cut right through if it doesn't get out of the way. Does this seem logical?

Here is a rough stat up of the sword.

Masamune (Easy to Lose Device)

Damage 7 (Alternate Resistance Dodge)
-AP Deflect 12
-AP Dimension Travel 3

Remote Senses 1 (Visual Sense Only, Medium (Sword Blade), Power Feat: Dimensional 3)

So with this, I can cut anything unless it makes it's dodge, I can use it to deflect attacks, I can use it to cut holes into other dimensions, and I can see into other dimensions by looking at the sword blade reflection.

Does this all look correct?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Seems reasonable to me. Make sure your Deflect doesn't break PL.
Doctor Vile

Post by Doctor Vile »

I do have one question about the dodge alternate save. How does this interact with an immobile object with no dodge defense like a wall for example?
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

One way of looking at it is that it's like a missing save, with them taking the worst possible result. However, I'd probably just treat it as a +0 bonus.
Shock

Post by Shock »

A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge so it would automatically fail a Dodge save.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Shock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge do it would automatically fail a Dodge save.
I feel like that gives too much power to something built with a Dodge resistance. A Rank 1 effect could effortlessly cleave holes in tank armor (on a stationary tank, obviously). Which, I suppose, might simply argue that this alternate resistance might be overpowered given how common it is to encounter something that lacks the resistance.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Keep in mind that the baseline Deflect power is ranged.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Shock

Post by Shock »

FuzzyBoots wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Shock wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge do it would automatically fail a Dodge save.
I feel like that gives too much power to something built with a Dodge resistance. A Rank 1 effect could effortlessly cleave holes in tank armor (on a stationary tank, obviously). Which, I suppose, might simply argue that this alternate resistance might be overpowered given how common it is to encounter something that lacks the resistance.
A tank won't have Dodge but if it's piloted, it will. I probably wouldn't allow a sword that "cuts through anything" to be a rank 1 effect though.
Doctor Vile

Post by Doctor Vile »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm Keep in mind that the baseline Deflect power is ranged.
Yeah, would need to make it close range.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I have seen lightsabers done in the past with drain toughness and penetrating which seemed to make a pretty evil weapon. It means it can cut through a tank pretty quickly but if you are character with a high dodge you won't be left completely vulnerable to more attacks. I guess the dimensional stuff are just AP's. Possibly why Jedi rely on agility not armour.

Mythic sword of legend. Device7 Easily lost 21pp (35pp available)
drain toughness 10 linked drain constitution 10, extra:penetrating(30pp) That should kill things pretty quickly including tanks and battleships.
-AP Shield 6 linked deflect8 (all ranged attacks NOT mental) Extra [action: standard to move]
-AP Dimensional portal linked Dimensional senses.
-AP ?
-AP?
35pp

Does that do what you were after?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

I was thinking of making a magical intelligent weapon. I was looking at it being a minion or sidekick and a construct.
Anybody have ideas about how to make it work?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Just build it as per the construct rules, with no STR or DEX scores (unless you want the sword to be able to animate and fight on its own, like a dancing blade), but with INT and PRE (the latter is needed for it to have any volition/ability to act independently). Then grant it whatever powers it normally has on its own, possibly with the "Affects Others" extra (since presumably those powers can be used by its wielder), and a few Complications (basically that its still an object). Volia!

Does that sound like it fits your concept?

All my best.