Dimensionally Sharp Blade

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Post Reply
User avatar
Doctor Vile
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Doctor Vile » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:03 pm

I have a character whose sword blade is so fine and sharp that it can cut through dimensions. I also made it's damage save versus dodge instead of toughness to represent it doesn't matter how tough something is, the blade will just cut right through if it doesn't get out of the way. Does this seem logical?

Here is a rough stat up of the sword.


Masamune (Easy to Lose Device)

Damage 7 (Alternate Resistance Dodge)
-AP Deflect 12
-AP Dimension Travel 3

Remote Senses 1 (Visual Sense Only, Medium (Sword Blade), Power Feat: Dimensional 3)


So with this, I can cut anything unless it makes it's dodge, I can use it to deflect attacks, I can use it to cut holes into other dimensions, and I can see into other dimensions by looking at the sword blade reflection.

Does this all look correct?

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:10 pm

Seems reasonable to me. Make sure your Deflect doesn't break PL.

User avatar
Doctor Vile
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Doctor Vile » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:10 pm

I do have one question about the dodge alternate save. How does this interact with an immobile object with no dodge defense like a wall for example?

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 pm

One way of looking at it is that it's like a missing save, with them taking the worst possible result. However, I'd probably just treat it as a +0 bonus.

Shock
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Shock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm

A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge so it would automatically fail a Dodge save.

FuzzyBoots
Posts: 1134
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:20 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 pm

Shock wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm
A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge do it would automatically fail a Dodge save.
I feel like that gives too much power to something built with a Dodge resistance. A Rank 1 effect could effortlessly cleave holes in tank armor (on a stationary tank, obviously). Which, I suppose, might simply argue that this alternate resistance might be overpowered given how common it is to encounter something that lacks the resistance.

User avatar
Woodclaw
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm
Location: Como, Italy

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Woodclaw » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm

Keep in mind that the baseline Deflect power is ranged.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)

Shock
Posts: 1552
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:27 pm
Location: Connecticut USA

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Shock » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:28 pm
Shock wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:08 pm
A wall is going to have no Agility and therefore no Dodge do it would automatically fail a Dodge save.
I feel like that gives too much power to something built with a Dodge resistance. A Rank 1 effect could effortlessly cleave holes in tank armor (on a stationary tank, obviously). Which, I suppose, might simply argue that this alternate resistance might be overpowered given how common it is to encounter something that lacks the resistance.
A tank won't have Dodge but if it's piloted, it will. I probably wouldn't allow a sword that "cuts through anything" to be a rank 1 effect though.

User avatar
Doctor Vile
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Dimensionally Sharp Blade

Post by Doctor Vile » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:44 am

Woodclaw wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm
Keep in mind that the baseline Deflect power is ranged.
Yeah, would need to make it close range.

Post Reply