DnD v3.5 and Wizards vs. Sorcerers

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
MisterB

DnD v3.5 and Wizards vs. Sorcerers

Post by MisterB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 am

So I was reading over the difference between the sorcerer and wizard classes and wondered why sorcerers can cast more spells. The only thing I could come up with at the moment, us because bards or sorcerers can only learn a limited number of spells. While a wizard can learn as many as opportunity presents? Still makes me wonder why anyone would play the wizard over the sorcerer, unless you add some other limiting factor or perhaps make wizards more powerful.

FuzzyBoots

Re: DnD v3.5 and Wizards vs. Sorcerers

Post by FuzzyBoots » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 am

MisterB wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:48 am
So I was reading over the difference between the sorcerer and wizard classes and wondered why sorcerers can cast more spells. The only thing I could come up with at the moment, us because bards or sorcerers can only learn a limited number of spells. While a wizard can learn as many as opportunity presents? Still makes me wonder why anyone would play the wizard over the sorcerer, unless you add some other limiting factor or perhaps make wizards more powerful.
That's pretty much exactly it. A sorcerer or bard is limited to what they've learned. A wizard can learn every single spell out there, and pick and choose each morning which he will use.

Scots Dragon

Re: DnD v3.5 and Wizards vs. Sorcerers

Post by Scots Dragon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:09 am

Due to that sheer level of versatility, wizards are in fact considered to be the far stronger class between the two in terms of optimisation.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.