Friendly fire?

A place to discuss game rules, homebrew systems and the like.
Spectrum

Friendly fire?

Post by Spectrum » Thu May 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Selective in area of effect abilities is kind of weird to me.

How often in movies/comics/video games/etc is there a problem with needing to worry about friendly fire? Most of the examples that I can think of don't penalize the characters by hurting their friend or buffing their enemies when they are throwing around big scene effecting abilities. Or, those times come up so rarely that its more of a Complication restricting action choice rather than a reason to make those choices substantially more expensive.

So, my question, in various other materials, how often is that really an issue? And when it is an issue, is it worth the massive upcharge or is it more of a moment of narrative limitation?

Thank you!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

slade the sniper

Re: Friendly fire?

Post by slade the sniper » Thu May 28, 2020 10:11 pm

I think it is more of a genre convention. For 4 color comics (Golden age), it shouldn't be an issue at all. I can see a narrative limitation being used in a Silver Age, cinematic or pulp genre game. In an Iron Age, realistic or gritty genre then friendly fire should definitely be a consideration. In a war game type of environment, it should be definitely included because it becomes a tool to use on the battlefield.

-STS

FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots » Fri May 29, 2020 1:13 am

Honestly, Friendly Fire is pretty much the main limiting factor for Area attacks in the game. Correspondingly, I limit Selective in my games, requiring a good reason to have it.
Last edited by FuzzyBoots on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Builds

Current games:
None (Too scatterbrained)

Spectrum

Post by Spectrum » Sun May 31, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like the usefulness really comes up to the story that the GM is creating.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.

catsi563

Post by catsi563 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:35 pm

Yeah FF is usually the realm of cinematic botches someone rolls a 1 and the GM decides that an FF incident has occurred gives both an HP for their troubles and the story rolls on

the only other time where technically it should play is when an AOE is used where the fellow hero is clearly in the target zone and even then the GM would nominally tell the PC that info
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories

Shock

Post by Shock » Sun May 31, 2020 7:57 pm

I would worry more about bystanders than other heroes. Like in a human shield sort of situation. Selective gives you the option of doing what Iron Man did in his first movie in the Afghani village