Andre The Giant biography (2018)

The place to talk about football, baseball, wrestling, and any other sports news.
M4C8

Andre The Giant biography (2018)

Post by M4C8 »

I don't know if any of you have seen it yet, but it's well worth watching, all I can say is wow, what an incredible human being that man was.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MacynSnow

Re: Andre The Giant biography (2018)

Post by MacynSnow »

Oh yeah,Andre was a remarkable human being,no questions 'bout it.Problem is,the Biography only show's the nice things about him.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:33 am Oh yeah,Andre was a remarkable human being,no questions 'bout it.Problem is,the Biography only show's the nice things about him.
Everyone can be an asshole at times, while the frustration over what he had to endure on a daily basis his entire life and then the constant pain he was in towards the end doesn't excuse any bad behaviour, it does makes it more understandable.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

M4C8 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 am
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:33 am Oh yeah,Andre was a remarkable human being,no questions 'bout it.Problem is,the Biography only show's the nice things about him.
Everyone can be an asshole at times, while the frustration over what he had to endure on a daily basis his entire life and then the constant pain he was in towards the end doesn't excuse any bad behaviour, it does makes it more understandable.
True enough,and i'm never one to 'speak ill of the dead',but i just think it would've been better to show ALL sides of him,not just the PC side...
But i'm just someone that perfer's Honest Vinager over Lying Sugar.It's still a good Biography nonetheless.....
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:17 am
M4C8 wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 am
True enough,and i'm never one to 'speak ill of the dead',but i just think it would've been better to show ALL sides of him,not just the PC side...
But i'm just someone that perfer's Honest Vinager over Lying Sugar.It's still a good Biography nonetheless.....
Agreed.

To be honest I don't really know anything about his bad behaviour, so I can't really judge it.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Just the usual mix of alcoholism, illegal drugs, womanizing, and brawling as far as I know. Andre wasn’t a saint, to be sure, but I don’t think he got into anything as crazy as Jake “The Snake” Roberts, James Hellwig / The Ultimate Warrior, or He Who Shall Not Be Named.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:21 am Just the usual mix of alcoholism, illegal drugs, womanizing, and brawling as far as I know. Andre wasn’t a saint, to be sure, but I don’t think he got into anything as crazy as Jake “The Snake” Roberts, James Hellwig / The Ultimate Warrior, or He Who Shall Not Be Named.
Ah okay, thanks.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

He also had a few incidents where he changed the ending, and he was legit tough enough that the other wrestler had little choice but to go with it.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

What always facinated me about Andre wasn't his size or his Career,it was how he handled his Giantism....
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Andre also got called out by the Iron Sheik once for being mean to the fans. But it's coming from Sheik so....

i did hear he was throwing out the N word alot at one point and Bad News Brown didn't much like it and challenged him to a fight which Andre declined.

Dude was a dude. He had his good and bad qualities.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Andre was a “heel” for most of his career and it was the era of heavily reinforced kayfabe... So his being mean to fans doesn’t necessarily reflect badly on the man.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:46 am Andre was a “heel” for most of his career and it was the era of heavily reinforced kayfabe... So his being mean to fans doesn’t necessarily reflect badly on the man.

Actually the time in question was when he was a face at least according to the Sheik.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Andre drank a lot and didn't like to be bothered- given that he was both A) famous, and B) couldn't just put on a hat to disguise being seven feet tall, he got bothered a lot. More than one fan account has an angry Andre bellowing at them, but other people report meeting him in a good mood.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am Andre drank a lot and didn't like to be bothered- given that he was both A) famous, and B) couldn't just put on a hat to disguise being seven feet tall, he got bothered a lot. More than one fan account has an angry Andre bellowing at them, but other people report meeting him in a good mood.
I always figured he should get some consideration for the constant pain he was in too. Acromegaly is not kind to a body.
Shock

Post by Shock »

He's one of a handful of members of the Man Show Hall of Fame. That's gotta count for something