So, favorite pro wrestlers?

The place to talk about football, baseball, wrestling, and any other sports news.
MacynSnow

Re: So, favorite pro wrestlers?

Post by MacynSnow »

It'll probably happen,just cause the power-that-be want a "Big Man-vs.-Little Man" feud(because it's naturally 1995 again :roll: ),so they're just gonna throw 2 good wrestlers and workers under the bus.....
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I've not been into wrestling since I was a kid, I'm talking WWF before even wrestlers like Stone Cold. Of course being English my favourite at the time was the British Bulldog. I've seen bits of modern wrestling and it seems that the 'character' wrestlers of my childhood have mostly disappeared, they all now seem to just be a random assortment of dudes. It's a bit like MMA for me, back when it first became a thing it was genuinely 'mixed martial arts' with people from different martial backgrounds fighting each other, now its seems 'MMA' has become a style of it's own with all the fighters trained in that style.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

I think there's more to it than that, but I can see what you mean too. There aren't as many broad characters as there were, but at least its not the mid 2000s either
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

M4C8 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:07 pm I've not been into wrestling since I was a kid, I'm talking WWF before even wrestlers like Stone Cold. Of course being English my favourite at the time was the British Bulldog. I've seen bits of modern wrestling and it seems that the 'character' wrestlers of my childhood have mostly disappeared, they all now seem to just be a random assortment of dudes. It's a bit like MMA for me, back when it first became a thing it was genuinely 'mixed martial arts' with people from different martial backgrounds fighting each other, now its seems 'MMA' has become a style of it's own with all the fighters trained in that style.
That’s an inevitable outcome of the sport’s scoring system.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Death Tribble

Post by Death Tribble »

HalloweenJack and MacynSnow really called it on several things like Bailey turning heel, and Reigns turning heel with assistance from Paul Heyman and Wyatt doing a new character The Fiend.
Granted WWE botched some of The Fiend but Wyatt gets kudos for a new idea and something to replace the Undertaker now that he has retired.

But there is little mention of AEW and the ex-Bullet Club members making their careers there Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks as wrestlers and managers. Plus Chris Jericho getting a new lease of life.
And they are making stars there with Orange Cassidy being a stand out. And this is also where Dean Ambrose is under the name of Jon Moxley.
So what do people think of AEW and the ex-WWE stars that are working there ?

But New Japan Pro Wrestling is still doing well with Okada, Naito and Ibushi being stand outs. They do have a wrestler who can scare people in Minoru Suzuki and he is in his 50s but he's just mean.

I do wish (going back to WWE) that they would let Asuka have more screen time. She has more creative offense than some.
And NXT has really a better cast like Finn Balor, Ciampa and Gargano for example in the men's locker room and Io Shirai and Rhea Ripley to name but two in the women's locker room.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

^_^ Still a big Keith Haught fan, although between most of the Indy promotions shutting down, and him being really serious about being safe during the pandemic, I think he only had a handful of matches last year, none of which I got to go out to see. I did pick up an annual subscription to the IWC PPVs (which also came with access to their video archives). Oh, and for people wanting to support Indy wrestlers out of work, there's Slameo.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Death Tribble wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:48 pm HalloweenJack and MacynSnow really called it on several things like Bailey turning heel, and Reigns turning heel with assistance from Paul Heyman and Wyatt doing a new character The Fiend.
Granted WWE botched some of The Fiend but Wyatt gets kudos for a new idea and something to replace the Undertaker now that he has retired.

But there is little mention of AEW and the ex-Bullet Club members making their careers there Cody Rhodes, Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks as wrestlers and managers. Plus Chris Jericho getting a new lease of life.
And they are making stars there with Orange Cassidy being a stand out. And this is also where Dean Ambrose is under the name of Jon Moxley.
So what do people think of AEW and the ex-WWE stars that are working there ?

But New Japan Pro Wrestling is still doing well with Okada, Naito and Ibushi being stand outs. They do have a wrestler who can scare people in Minoru Suzuki and he is in his 50s but he's just mean.

I do wish (going back to WWE) that they would let Asuka have more screen time. She has more creative offense than some.
And NXT has really a better cast like Finn Balor, Ciampa and Gargano for example in the men's locker room and Io Shirai and Rhea Ripley to name but two in the women's locker room.
To be fair, at the time us "Prophets of Wrestling"(hey, that would make a good Faction Name....)made those call's , AEW was just an Elite pipe-dream and Jericho/Omega was just getting started.... ;)

I actually kinda dig how WWE was treating Drew McIntyre(least till he got Covid) as Champion. They gave him decent guy's to fight and good stories. I'm also in love with Sami Zayne's Heel "Criminal Mastermind" Gimmick. Favorite match of the year was his suprising Ladder match win(that & Orton's ear attack should teach Jeff not to wear Gages to the ring... :lol: )....
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

AEW is ok at best for me (which is more than I can say for WWE's main shows, NXT used to be much better than it is now). But with AEW I have issues with how several of their "big name" people work out their matches, of course most of my issues stem from the fact I've spent over 30 years watching wrestling (starting in the Attitude Era to age me properly) and spent a fair amount of time researching older product (back to the territory days). I have no doubt the AEW talent can wrestle (they do a highly impressive amount of feats of acrobatics & athletics, which I do enjoy watching as I can appreciate the effort they have put into being able to do such things).

My issue is that AEW needs to get better at story telling. Both in-ring & out of it.
Last edited by Tattooedman on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Biggest story issue in that company is Cody Rhodes, who has these bizarre, go-nowhere, labyrinthine angles that have no clear progression. He constantly seems on the verge on a heel turn but wants to play the fired up babyface too much... and then you get stuff like his blood feud with MJF ending in a normal match full of roll ups and chain wrestling. Totally ruined the blowoff.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Exactly.

Look at Cody's upcoming match with Shaq.

Jade Cargil just shows up and rips Cody out of nowhere (although Brandy's response is one of the best things she's done EVER, I actually bought she was angry) and saying some stuff about Shaq backing her, then Jade is running around complaining about her not getting matches with Brandy (sometimes by herself, sometimes with Vicky Guerrero & company) and still dropping Shaq's name for some reason (we're never given anything about how Jade might know him or be associated with him).

Then finally Shaq shows up on AEW in a tapped interview with Brandy where she acts all pissed of at him then throws a glass of water in his face (and instead of getting pissed he just sits there with a stupid look on his face).

Meanwhile Jade is still running her mouth in backstage vignettes, she could at least be having matches with jobbers to show how big a threat she is, but since she's newly graduated from wrestling school [and I'm not 100% sure she's actually finished one of the three she's been to] I don't think management trusts her not to make an obvious mistake in the hopes she can get "polished up" before the big match.

Shaq finally gets pissed and does a promo on Cody (on the NBA show, so I didn't see it until AEW highlighted clips of it). But his delivery makes it seem to me that he's just doing this as a lark.

I'm not going to knock their having to let Brandy out of the match for being pregnant. However, Red Velvet's replacing her was a horrible in-ring segment. She's an ok wrestler, but they really need to help them (newbies) work on their mic/promo skills.

At this point we're just waiting until the show where the match is supposed to happen (as Shaq's schedule clashes with the intended pay-per-view dates, even though the match was originally supposed to be on the upcoming pay-per-view).

All of these things happen with weeks in between them and nothing is said about it. Talk about stop & go booking, makes it difficult to get invested in an angle when they barely show anything about it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

You know the main problem with AEW right now? It's the same problem Impact Wrestling used to have.
Guessed it Yet? It's trying to be WWE.
Let's take a walk down Old Skool Lane Butterflies and take a look at Impact Wrestling of old.
Young Impact(then known as TNA) had an Amazing roster of New & Old Wrestlers;
AJ Styles & Samoa Joe were tearing the Impact Zone down every week with fantastic X-Division and Heavyweight matches...
America's Most Wanted & Motor City Machineguns owned the ring during Tag matches...
Awesome Kong & The Beautiful People practically BUILT Impact Women's Division ....
Abyss & Matt Morgan were some truly Athletic Monster's you'd ever seen.....
I could name tones of others in their places that was just as good. But no, Impact Management decided that they "Needed Big Names" to be able to Compete. Admittedly, some of the Early one's Actually worked well and had Career resurgences(Kurt Angle's multi-title run, Christian Cage, Bubba Ray becoming Bully Ray, The Broken Universe, Mr.Anderson). Others just made the company seem like an Also-ran. For every great storyline(Early Aces & Eights, Fortune, The Rise & breaking of Matt Hardy) we got four retread's of old WWE stuff. For every great idea they had(The Six-sided Ring, Six Sides of Steel, Elevation-X,Full Metal Mayhem), they had double the number in horrible one's(Feast or Fired, King of The Moutain).
<looking at the Old Impact Zone>
I guess we'll just sitting around and thinking "What If?". Let's hope Cody doesn't take any more pages outta Dixie Carter & Vince McMahon's playbooks anymore...
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

So, they finally gave the Hurt Business a Major title with Bobby beating Miz(all of this just so Miz can go play Johnny Cage in the Mortal Kombat remake). While i like the Faction, giving it to Lashley was stupid imho. Cedric Alexander would've been the best choice honestly.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Weirdly enough, i kinda like Bailey's Talk Show "Ding Dong, Hello!" i especially love it when she makes 'em use the Prop Door. I can even see a face jump a heel, lay 'em out, then go over to the Door and ring the bell...