Worst pro wrestlers other than Dino Bravo

The place to talk about football, baseball, wrestling, and any other sports news.
Jabroniville

Worst pro wrestlers other than Dino Bravo

Post by Jabroniville »

Who would you put on a Mount Rushmore for Bad Wrestling?

Other than Dino Bravo's face four times.

Because seriously, Dino Bravo sucked ass. He'd be the Rob Liefeld of wrestling if he was about five times better.
HalloweenJack

Re: Worst pro wrestlers other than Dino Bravo

Post by HalloweenJack »

oh the Mighty Maccabee would be up there, if he counts
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Are we awarding bad wrestlers or just really bad "kayfabe" ideas. Because the Gobbledy Gooker has to be one of the all time worst ideas and most poorly executed concepts in the history of creativity. But, well, poor Héctor Guerrero was just an inoffensively mediocre mid-card guy doing the job.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Bad wrestlers overall. Eddie's brother was legit amazing in his time, so wouldn't count. Even The Goon was a perfectly acceptable in-ring guy.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Giant Gonzales pretty much has to top the list between his "nude bodysuit" gimmick and his total lack of skills.
MissRo

Post by MissRo »

Ahmed Johnson. The Ultimate Warrior. The Great Khali. Basically the entire Diva's division from the early 2000's until like 2011-2012.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 am Bad wrestlers overall. Eddie's brother was legit amazing in his time, so wouldn't count. Even The Goon was a perfectly acceptable in-ring guy.

Yeah Wild Bill Irwin wasn't bad....its just the Goon itself was pretty terrible

Gonzales is not a bad choice....but at least his freakish size was something to go 'whoa' over for a little while. I'm still impressed by just how tall he was.

Khali less so. He was huge sure but he was also probably the stiffest wrestler I've ever seen (and I don't mean 'stiff' in the ring, I mean in that he moved like a gorilla walking on stilts).

Ahmed....he had potential once upon a time. Big guy, scary (ask Jab), and could actually pull off a few high flying moves here and there......he just kind of stalled and got injury laden.

And Warrior....guy wasn't the best wrestler, but had insane charisma and with the right opponent could have classics. His matches with Savage and Rude are great, as is his first match with Hogan......think about that.....Hulk Hogan vs the Ultimate Warrior....two of the most limited, rinse and repeat wrestlers ever....have a great match
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Ultimate Warrior had insane ability and speed (for the day) but he absolutely could not "sell" anything; Hogan had a very limited moveset, but he had fantastic "wrestling psychology" and was a lot better at "selling" than people remember. (The whole point of the "Hilking Up" gimmick was that was the point at which he would start no-selling his opponents' moves due to the Power of Hulkamania.)

Ultimate Warrior's issues weren't his in ring performance. They were entirely his real world issues.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

enh....he didn't sell starting off, then he slowly began to sell to his opponent, then false Hulk Up, opponent takes back over, true Hulk up, no sell, no sell, big boot, legdrop, win.

what really hurt Hogan was just the monotony of it. there was very rarely any change at all. now most wrestlers do do alot of the same moves (see Bret Hart's moves of doom) but it was over and over with Hogan. That said, he's had some great matches in Japan with Stan Hansen and Muta where he HAS to alter the moveset a bit to keep interest. So he was capable of mixing it up....but just when you're on top why bother right? Guy knew the political game like no other

Warrior....Warrior had issues.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Oh, sure, the "smarts" knew that Hogan was working from a formula... But the "marks" are that shit up like it and the "smarks" didn't care. Hogan had one routine, but it was a helluva routine.
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

when it worked, it worked.

when it didn't, it didn't.
BriarThrone

Post by BriarThrone »

It's also worth noting that Hogan was wrestling to a formula created for him by the WWF, and when in Japan, for example, he was a much more agile wrestler with a greater moveset than we ever saw when he was filling McMahon's "Big Man" role.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Rick Steiner in the dying days of WCW was arguably one of the worst wrestlers ever, as well. Because not only was he hot garbage in the ring by that point in his career, but he was actively harming the careers of others- his excessively stiff style was dangerous, his no-selling of everyone else's offense made them look terrible, and he was nearly always booked to win. And he was just a regular old grump at this point- no charisma at all. The only positive thing about him was that he still looked pretty bad-ass.

Giant Gonzalez was indeed probably the worst wrestler ever to lace up a pair of boots. But like Jack said, at least he was enormous- the kind of tall that made Kevin Sorbo look like Verne Troyer. In one battle royal, he dwarfed 6'10" Kevin Nash, and he absolutely towered over the Undertaker. In terms of wrestling, "Visual Spectacle" means a lot, even if you're a 0/10 on the "Skill" scale.

The only problem with Hogan was that his formula tended to "gobble up" the opposition. Most of his enemies lost credibility once Hogan bounced up from their finisher and annihilated them. This was fine in a territory-based system, but after a point the WWF was the only place most guys wanted to work, so the heels were slowly dwindling to nothing, because Hogan had beaten them all. Only Andre really kept his "mystique" after that point, though Randy Savage managed a good run after spending a year in the midcard.

Though the WWF definitely got some mileage out of that formula, even with the opponents- a guy would move up the card for months, finally reach Hogan, beat him up on a few shows to gain credibility, win by DQ or something once. Then he'd get the big "Hulk Up" loss, get crushed... and then slowly tumble back down the card. Eventually he'd either leave the company, or get repositioned into a tag team or something (Earthquake).
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

here's my Mount Bad-Wrestlermore.Take it for the granite it was carved in...
Rick Steiner=he only started sucking real bad when he went Solo after Scott's poor attempt at a heel turn.He even Crippled a guy,if i remember right...
Tommy Dreamer=While he may have been an OK wrestler,he had Horrible Mic skills&couldn't sell water to a guy dying of thirst in the Desert...
Mike Awesome=in my opinion,this guy was a "Psycho Sid"-lite and didn't deserve the push he got from WCW in it's later years...(i know i shouldn't be speaking ill of the Dead,but still...)
"Dirty White Boy" Tony Anthony=Even in his Heyday,this guy was awful(and not in a good way)...
HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack »

Awesome got a push in WCW? :lol: